Forums
Posted By: PeterLFC Borough rd, Prenton any old pics or info - 21st Jun 2010 9:22pm
Hi all,
My wife runs a shop on borough rd 740 and the near by neighbours are trying to find info on there house which is opposite. It is on corner of clarence rd, which apparently was previously named Albert rd, according to another neighbours deeds. They have come up with nothing so far except it was a large piece of land and sold as a plot but no names or dates. So any info at all would be great. I know the shop used to be a bakery and thats about it. Thanks
Is this the bridge club that you are interested in?
Posted By: PeterLFC Re: Borough rd, Prenton any old pics or info - 21st Jun 2010 9:26pm
No its the big detached house on other corner
It was Clarence Road in 1912 and there were houses on both corners then
Posted By: PeterLFC Re: Borough rd, Prenton any old pics or info - 21st Jun 2010 9:39pm
They were saying it doesnt say on there deeds when the house was built, or possibly used for. A neighbour who lives in clarence rd said on there deeds it was called Albert rd so because they couldnt find any info at all about the house i said i would ask on here as i know how good you all are. I do know there are newer houses in clarence rd due to bombing but the people live in one of older ones. thanks will pass all info on
Looking at old maps, I would guess Clarence Road was renamed at the same time "Happy Valley Road" became Borough Road.

In 1882 only the bottom half of "Clarence" road existed and was only a path, neither corner house existed.

Just pinning down one more date I have (between 1894 and 1900)....

I don't think it was called Albert Road but it was similar, it looks like it ends in a "D"
Posted By: PeterLFC Re: Borough rd, Prenton any old pics or info - 22nd Jun 2010 2:18pm
could it be alfred rd ?
Originally Posted by PeterLFC
could it be alfred rd ?
It could well be - good spot!
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Originally Posted by PeterLFC
could it be alfred rd ?
It could well be - good spot!
The Alfred Road in Oxton predates 1875 and so presumably the Alfred Road in Devonshire Park had to change it's name as this was named later.
Posted By: Helles Re: Borough rd, Prenton any old pics or info - 22nd Jun 2010 7:26pm
They are near enough to Birkenhead library. Tell them to go to the reference section and look up in Kelly/Gores.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Borough rd, Prenton any old pics or info - 23rd Jun 2010 1:06pm
According to the 1875 OS map Clarence Road was indeed originally laid out as Alfred Road; the name had been changed by 1898 presumably, as diggingdeeper says, to avoid confusion with the other Alfred Road.

The detached house on the corner (now no.659) appears to have been built in 1898-9 - the plans were deposited with the Council on 17th March 1898, though sadly they haven't survived. The house is listed in the Directories of the time as 'Brynmally' and the earliest occupants appear to have been a family named Collins. My 1903 Gore's names the occupant as Mrs Alice Kate Collins, and she was still there in 1911 with a Thomas H Collins (?her son or possibly husband), who is listed as a file manufacturer.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral