Forums
Posted By: Anonymous County Borough of Wallasey Welfare... - 16th Jun 2010 3:03pm
What was the 'County Borough of Wallasey Welfare Food Distributing Centre' at 25a Liscard Village in 1966? Any info?
Posted By: Helles Re: County Borough of Wallasey Welfare... - 16th Jun 2010 9:15pm
Where you got baby milk, orange juice and cod liver oil do you mean?

I used to go to Rake lane from New Brighton to get ours for my younger siblings. Can't remember what you call it but it is the nursery now more or less opposite Stanley's. Was a church hall!

Where would 25a Liscard Village be?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: County Borough of Wallasey Welfare... - 17th Jun 2010 12:30am
Thank you Helles for your response.

25a would of been on the corner of where Spring Gardens Grocers is today (the entry to the car park) - same side as the Royal Oak
Posted By: Helles Re: County Borough of Wallasey Welfare... - 17th Jun 2010 7:50am
Sorry don't remember that one. I can remember way back going to the Emmanuel church hall on Seabank road for it. I suppose later on they centralised it and that would have been Liscard?

I do know that a lot of us were brought up on the stuff and if honest it saved lives. Sounds daft in this day and age but kids did not get vitamins so easily and there were a lot of nasty things still around. Polio and the like although just in case any medical experts are looking in, I know these things would not have prevented that.

People can knock the welfare state all they like but to me it was one of the greatest achievements of the British.

Free school milk... There's a whole new thread by itself.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: County Borough of Wallasey Welfare... - 17th Jun 2010 7:00pm
Helles - so it was a place were you could get, for free, vitamin supllements such as baby milk, orange juice, cod liver oil.

Was it part of the NHS and opened to all residents?
Posted By: Helles Re: County Borough of Wallasey Welfare... - 18th Jun 2010 10:20pm
Yes it was. Part of the welfare state. I don't remember having to take money or anything but you must have had to take something like a token/coupon? I will ask my older siblings, they should know. I still remember the large cans of baby milk. National dried milk.
Posted By: kimpri Re: County Borough of Wallasey Welfare... - 19th Jun 2010 12:41am
exchange milk tokens for tins of powdered milk at the baby clinic
Posted By: chriskay Re: County Borough of Wallasey Welfare... - 19th Jun 2010 9:57am
This is from a child's ration book from 1953/54, long after the end of the war. Most people who didn't live through that time don't realise how long after the war rationing & general austerity continued; for instance, bread wasn't rationed until after the end of the war. Cod liver oil coupons shown & the arrangements for cheap/free milk. No mention of orange juice, but I remember having it as a child. It came in a flat sided bottle, like a medicine bottle & it was concentrated & you diluted it with water.

Attached picture 2010-06-19 10-39-20_0122.jpg
Posted By: daveybm Re: County Borough of Wallasey Welfare... - 19th Jun 2010 10:51am
Your right with the location, it was were Spring Gardens is today, I can remember going there with my old lady to pick up Dried Milk, cod liver oil and orange juice in the early sixties.

Dave
Posted By: Anonymous Re: County Borough of Wallasey Welfare... - 21st Jun 2010 2:43pm
Thank you guys for the added information. I am doing a piece on shopping in Liscard and came across the 'County Borough of Wallasey Welfare Food Distributing Centre' and wondered what it was. I had a fair idea but I rather have others not just add their knowledge but also put me right!

Thank you.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral