Forums
Posted By: si2396 Lobol Club Bromborough - 6th Jun 2010 9:30pm
I was wondering if anyone has any info on the origins of this club, which stood at the corner of Pool Lane on the New Chester Road in Bromborough but was demolished to make way for a car dealership a couple of years ago. Like many clubs, was it linked to a company operating in the area? If so, I can't find any reference to "Lobol" anywhere except for the club.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Lobol Club Bromborough - 6th Jun 2010 9:42pm
the lobol is also the fishing pond next to it. during its last days before demolition I did a ghost hunt in there. all the power was still on too...

I wonder if I still have the video somewere?

(P.s Welcome to WikiWirral smile )
Posted By: bri445 Re: Lobol Club Bromborough - 6th Jun 2010 10:59pm
Remembering back to the '60s, it was probably associated with the Lobitos Oil Co. which, I think, was somewhere on the Stanlow site. It was an old-established small oil refiner originating in Peru and it had petrol stations around the North of England.

Bri
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lobol Club Bromborough - 6th Jun 2010 11:42pm
The lobol club was a social club associated with Levers. It wasn't the official Levers club it was like a secondary club.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Lobol Club Bromborough - 7th Jun 2010 6:13pm
It was the club for the workers wwho didn't live in Port Sunlight and it's name comes from the telex call sign in the days before mass communication.
L-o-B-o-L stood for Lever Brothers Limited. I attended many, many functions there over the years. Like many works clubs it suffered in decline of workers numbers and all the woes of modern pubs. The sale for a new car dealership was just too tempting for Lever estates.
Posted By: angelina Re: Lobol Club Bromborough - 7th Jun 2010 9:59pm
Was a shame to see that place go. It was in need of up-dating , but a good social club and they used to have bird autions on the 1st sun of the month!
Posted By: si2396 Re: Lobol Club Bromborough - 10th Jun 2010 12:51pm
Thanks Capt_America, you've made my day! Hopefully the name will continue to live on with that fish pond!
Posted By: ARickett Re: Lobol Club Bromborough - 31st Aug 2015 6:43pm
Yes,it was part of the Lever Brothers companies,I worked at British Extracting Company BEC - 1959-1965 and the staff (mostly the guys) would go there for a drink. In1963 there was a Miss Lobol contest that a few of us participated in - I still have the photo. Angela
Posted By: inflatablebone Re: Lobol Club Bromborough - 31st Aug 2015 7:12pm
Originally Posted by bri445
Remembering back to the '60s, it was probably associated with the Lobitos Oil Co. which, I think, was somewhere on the Stanlow site. It was an old-established small oil refiner originating in Peru and it had petrol stations around the North of England.

Bri

Hi Bri , whilst Lobitos had nothing to do with the Lobol club it,(Lobitos), was taken over by Burmah Oil /Castrol . I worked for Castrol and found an old Lobitos ledger on the Castrol site and forwarded it to the Castrol archive, Burmah castrol was subsequently bought by BP.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral