Forums
Posted By: LivingDeadGirl Old Birkenhead - 2nd Jun 2010 8:42pm
Anyone have any idea where Stewart Street, Birkenhead was? My Great-grandmother is on the 1901 census as living here, but I can't seem to find it. I know it was probably demolished or built over, but I'd like to know where abouts it is.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Old Birkenhead - 2nd Jun 2010 9:23pm
try http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps

Posted By: Capt_America Re: Old Birkenhead - 3rd Jun 2010 10:06am
Welcome to the machine "Livingdeadgirl"
Posted By: Franyon Re: Old Birkenhead - 3rd Jun 2010 10:25am
Stewart Street was a tiny road, a cul de sac off Ilchester Road half way between St James Church and Tyrer Street. It's where the playing field is now
Posted By: chriskay Re: Old Birkenhead - 3rd Jun 2010 4:02pm
O.S.map 1910. The Docks Station is now Birkenhead North.

Attached picture stewart st..jpg
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Old Birkenhead - 3rd Jun 2010 8:17pm
As part of researching my family tree I found that my family the MItchells lived on a Harriett street, must have been near the north end of Birkenhead, I believe part of the street was bombed during ww2. Anyone have any idea where exactly this street was?
Thanks smile
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Old Birkenhead - 3rd Jun 2010 9:13pm
Welcome to the machine Franyone.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Old Birkenhead - 4th Jun 2010 9:22am
Harriet Street was off the north end of Beckwith Street, close to where the Wirral Line goes under Cavendish Street. The site is now under the modern housing NW of Churchview Road.

Attached picture Harriet Street.JPG
Posted By: LivingDeadGirl Re: Old Birkenhead - 5th Jun 2010 11:18am
Hey thanks for the replies and the pictures. They are awesome!

Thanks for the welcome too, but I've been around on this forum for a little while, I just don't post very often smile
Posted By: bigpete Re: Old Birkenhead - 14th Jun 2010 6:12pm
Originally Posted by MerseyMan
As part of researching my family tree I found that my family the MItchells lived on a Harriett street, must have been near the north end of Birkenhead, I believe part of the street was bombed during ww2. Anyone have any idea where exactly this street was?
Thanks smile

Yep and Park Station took a pasting so that fits too....
Posted By: djaw53 Re: Old Birkenhead - 15th Jun 2010 9:10am
Hello, I was born in Sussex Street 1953 and went to the Woodlands School. I lived in Sussex street until we moved to the woodchurch in august 1966 when the area was taken for building the pyramids. Does any one have any maps of the area for the that time.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old Birkenhead - 15th Jun 2010 10:33am
Sussex Street, Birkenhead c1955

Attached picture Sussex-Street-Birkenhead-1955.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Old Birkenhead - 15th Jun 2010 11:15am
wasn't no1 a bike shop and at no3 lived the reillys and 68 Borough Road Eddies chip shop and 64 Borough road Woods' cafe
© Wirral-Wikiwirral