Forums
Posted By: clio73 bank in bedford road rock ferry - 21st May 2010 10:25pm
Does anybody know the name of the bank in bedford road rock ferry which changed to mersey speed.
Posted By: TheDr Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 21st May 2010 10:59pm
I don't, but Mike and Jackie who used to work there before the place had a CP order on it set up across the road as J&M Speed, and I'm sure that they will know.

J&M Speeds number is 645 0881/2
Posted By: scoops Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 21st May 2010 11:23pm
I'm fairly sure it was a branch of the Midland bank.
(and by fairly I mean 50-70%)
Posted By: scoops Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 21st May 2010 11:25pm
But the other half reckons it was a Nat West.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 21st May 2010 11:27pm
Wasn't the one on the corner of Bedford Road and New Chester Road a Natwest at one point?
Posted By: scoops Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 21st May 2010 11:29pm
I dunno and I'm not walking down there at this time of night to check tease
Posted By: madhat Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 22nd May 2010 7:35am
think it was barclays bank
Posted By: bri445 Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 22nd May 2010 9:29am
Originally Posted by scoops
I'm fairly sure it was a branch of the Midland bank.
(and by fairly I mean 50-70%)

Looks like a Midland in this '30s photo.

Attached picture Bedford Road bank.jpg
Posted By: madhat Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 22nd May 2010 9:35am
wrong bank mersey speed was in bedford road
Posted By: bri445 Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 22nd May 2010 9:43am
This eliminates Midland,then!
Posted By: TheDr Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 22nd May 2010 9:47am
Originally Posted by madhat
wrong bank mersey speed was in bedford road

That one IS on Bedford Rd, it's on the corner of New Chester Road.

It's not the one MerseySpeed used to be at, although, to answer that question, after phoning J&M Speed this morning it was 100% a BARCLAYS bank.

Jackie said that not only did she used to be with them but that there were always bits and pieces of their old literature around the building.
Posted By: clio73 Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 22nd May 2010 3:53pm
Thats great thanks
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 22nd May 2010 8:03pm
It was probably Martins Bank before it became Barclays, it did look like a Martins building.
Posted By: jimbob Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 22nd May 2010 9:22pm
The bank on the corner of Bedford road and New Chester Road was a Midland bank and was still in use in the early 60s. At that time my wife use to go there with the takings from a shop she was working in on Old Chester Road Tranmere.
Posted By: mikebluenose Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 23rd May 2010 3:56pm
BARCLAYS BANK 110% I lived over the Rd from it about 20 year ago.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 23rd May 2010 9:44pm
Barclays Bank, my best mate was the last manager.
Posted By: nettie Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 26th May 2010 8:26pm
it was a barclays bank i grew up in the flats on canterbury rd and my mum used that bank.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 27th May 2010 7:33pm
Welcome to the machine Nettie
Posted By: tom54 Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 25th Jul 2010 12:12pm
This is my first post on this forum, so I'd like to take this chance to say hello to everyone. smile

To the best of my memory, Martins Bank was further up Bedford Road, between New Chester Road and Rock Ferry Station. It was on the left as you headed up the hill.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 17th Jun 2011 1:02pm
The bank on the corner of Bedford Road / New Chester Road was the National Provincial. No doubt about it.

Posted By: Spellbinder Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 17th Jun 2011 2:37pm
Originally Posted by Spellbinder
The bank on the corner of Bedford Road / New Chester Road was the National Provincial. No doubt about it.

No - come to think about it - it was definitely the Midland.

Posted By: nettie Re: bank in bedford road rock ferry - 8th May 2012 9:50pm
it was a Barclays bank were merseyspeed used to be and it was on the corner of railway rd +bedford rd
© Wirral-Wikiwirral