Forums
Posted By: Jess53 The church in Liscard Road - 17th Apr 2010 1:44pm
Hi folks, I am both new to the area, and this site!! I do have some happy childhood memories visiting family in Wallasey and building the sandcastles on the beach too. What I am looking for is a photo of the church that used to be where the petrol station is today, almost opposite Littledale Road. My parents were marreid here, and we do not have a photo of it. I would like to be able to show my mum when she comes over from Australia this year, can anyone help? Thanks Jess
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The church in Liscard Road - 17th Apr 2010 2:06pm
Was it Egremont Baptist Church?

If so, have a look HERE
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The church in Liscard Road - 19th Apr 2010 4:57pm
It is actually Seacombe Congregational Church. They used the church hall for editing the film 'The Magnet'.

History of the Seacombe Congregational Church can be found at my site :- History of Wallasey Churches : Poulton Cum Seacombe

http://...co.uk/wallasey/Wallasey_Churches_Poulton_cum_Seacombe/index.html

[Linked Image]

Posted By: johnk Re: The church in Liscard Road - 19th Apr 2010 8:25pm
Was the church a Methodist Chapel because I remember going to the Boys Brigade there in the 50's when I lived in Littledale.
There is a church at the top of Brougham road which is the Seacombe United Reform.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The church in Liscard Road - 19th Apr 2010 10:26pm
Originally Posted by johnk
Was the church a Methodist Chapel because I remember going to the Boys Brigade there in the 50's when I lived in Littledale.

The church was Protestant Christian - leaning towards Baptist. In 1972, about three quarters of English Congregational churches merged with the English Presbyterian Church to form the United Reformed Church (URC).

Originally Posted by johnk

There is a church at the top of Brougham road which is the Seacombe United Reform.

Yes, as described in the link I provided earlier.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: The church in Liscard Road - 19th Apr 2010 11:29pm
Ignore the "Baptist" reference. My mind was elsewhere.

Congregationalism is a system of government and religious beliefs of a Protestant denomination in which each member church is self-governing.

Thats what the definition of it says!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral