Forums
Pic attached is of a street party on Howe Street in Birkenhead possibly 1950s, my great aunt and great grandmother appear in the pic but does anyone recognise other people?? Howe Street was between Collingwood and Nelson Street and is now underneath the Grange Shopping Centre.

Thanks for your help in advance!!!

Howe Street Party

(for a bigger image click all sizes above flickr file)
Looks earlier - poss 1937 as the bunting says The King on it?
The King was crowned in May 1937. That seems too early. Could it be the end of the war in September 1945?
The coronation was on 12 May 1937 though, so it could fit.

Don't know what the weather was like though!!
Yes just realised that the coronation came later.
I think it's about 52/53 i am on it somewhere I lived in Howe Street and passed this on to Steven after A friend passed it on to me the young man to the right of the photo is Tony Jackson on the left to the front is my mum Agnes Davies she is leaning over the table there are 4 of the gunwhy girls on it and their one son named I think Billy Joan Evans is on it to the left she is the same age as me and she looks about 9 my sister is standing on our front door step I could name lots of the people on it but let's see who else sees it first.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Howe Street B'head 1950s anyone recognise anyone? - 12th Apr 2010 3:44am
From the dress styles, the bunting and the general street party atmosphere, it looks very much like the Coronation 1953.

Was initially thinking of the Festival of Britain celebrations in 1951 (?), but no sign of the Britannia/shield logo that was plastered on everything then.

Looking at the photo made me remember the Fair Isle pullovers my Mum used to knit. Happy Days !
I think the pic would predate 52/53 as King George VI died 6 February 1952
Thinking it may have been one of the VE day celebrations!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Howe Street B'head 1950s anyone recognise anyone? - 12th Apr 2010 9:41am
You could be right Mike. I missed the "King" bit in the prev. post and didn't spot it on the banner. Must try harder !!!
from what I recall that street wasn't big enough for all those people to have lived in it
Must have some from Nelson st and Collinwood st
I think the Rose and Thistle was in Borough Road opposite the end of Collingwood st
© Wirral-Wikiwirral