Forums
Posted By: jabber_Ish wormhole caves - 9th Apr 2010 6:36pm
does anyone know if wormhome cave in New Brighton is ever opened to the public ? and if so any idea as to when ?
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: wormhole caves - 10th Apr 2010 12:59am
Thread:

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/384701/1.html
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: wormhole caves - 12th Apr 2010 5:02pm
thx for the link
Posted By: 335steve Re: wormhole caves - 2nd Nov 2010 1:18pm
I was cycling along the prom more than 10 or 15 years ago and saw a hand-painted sign on one of the garden walls that overlook the prom (opposite the old baths site) - it said 'Caves Open today' and was next to a door in the garden wall. I went up and entered the garden and the house owner had opened an entrance in the middle of the lawn which gave access to caves. There was a token charitable entry fee( towards the Scouts Assoc) of about 50p. there were steps down and we were taken down by someone who acted as a guide. We were told that the caves had been used by Smugglers many years ago to hide themselves and store any contraband hidden from the customs/authorities.The caves were long and increasingly narrow and went (I think) in the direction of Moreton.At the point it became too narrow to carry on, we were told the story that, in the 1800's a young boy had been given a candle/light source and sent to see how far he could get. Apparently he is supposed to have emerged in the region of Flaybrick cemetry! Have never seen any other reference to these caves or this story.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: wormhole caves - 2nd Nov 2010 4:28pm
quite a few references to them in various books in wallasey central library, just ask the staff to point you to the local history section.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: wormhole caves - 2nd Nov 2010 4:33pm
this is a pretty recent book collaborating loads of old info/lore about the area. Excellent read smile you may have to order it at the library as its rarely in stock since they got a copy smack

Wirral Smugglers, Wreckers and Pirates - Gavin Chappel
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: wormhole caves - 2nd Nov 2010 4:54pm
Unfortunately there is a load of innacurate information in that book.
Did have a read of a book called "underground Liverpool" today which was an amazing read and very well researched,it answers some of the myths floating around the internet about some of the Liverpool tunnels.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: wormhole caves - 2nd Nov 2010 5:00pm
thats why i said lore smile

whos the author of that one pls DD
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: wormhole caves - 2nd Nov 2010 5:27pm
Jim Moore ... the book is in the book clearance shop on the corner of the square by Beatties in Birkenhead, I think it was knocked down to £6.49 but also available on Amazon for under £8 inclusive p&p
Posted By: Archaeo Re: wormhole caves - 2nd Nov 2010 6:04pm
http://www.mikekemble.com/mside/wallasey/yellownosemap.jpg
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: wormhole caves - 7th Nov 2010 4:35pm
When I was twelve with another friend I attempted to access the cave at the back of the putting green by the steps leading down from a house. We had candles funny enough, we got maybe thirty feet in before it became very tight. We were skinny kids too. but by the light of the candle we could see it opening wider further along. This was the cave referred to as the 'Lady's Cave' because some woman got stuck in it and the only way to get her out was to strip her naked and grease her body. As least that's what her boyfriend told her.
Posted By: Helles Re: wormhole caves - 7th Nov 2010 9:52pm
Originally Posted by 335steve
I was cycling along the prom more than 10 or 15 years ago and saw a hand-painted sign on one of the garden walls that overlook the prom (opposite the old baths site) - it said 'Caves Open today' and was next to a door in the garden wall. I went up and entered the garden and the house owner had opened an entrance in the middle of the lawn which gave access to caves. There was a token charitable entry fee( towards the Scouts Assoc) of about 50p. there were steps down and we were taken down by someone who acted as a guide. We were told that the caves had been used by Smugglers many years ago to hide themselves and store any contraband hidden from the customs/authorities.The caves were long and increasingly narrow and went (I think) in the direction of Moreton.At the point it became too narrow to carry on, we were told the story that, in the 1800's a young boy had been given a candle/light source and sent to see how far he could get. Apparently he is supposed to have emerged in the region of Flaybrick cemetry! Have never seen any other reference to these caves or this story.

That's about as true as the one about it connecting to Mother Redcaps. Do you realise just how far this is and there was a river (Wallasey Pool) to cross?
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: wormhole caves - 7th Nov 2010 10:01pm
worm hole is not long at sll mate!
well not that long lol!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: wormhole caves - 7th Nov 2010 11:52pm
Fascinating stuff, reading the History. Do these wormholes REALLY go back to the time of the Smugglers?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: wormhole caves - 8th Nov 2010 12:06am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Jim Moore ... the book is in the book clearance shop on the corner of the square by Beatties in Birkenhead, I think it was knocked down to £6.49 but also available on Amazon for under £8 inclusive p&p
Thanks DD! Checked out the Library Database and there is a copy available with my name on it!!! bananadance
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: wormhole caves - 8th Nov 2010 1:37am
Originally Posted by jabber
this is a pretty recent book collaborating loads of old info/lore about the area. Excellent read smile you may have to order it at the library as its rarely in stock since they got a copy smack

Wirral Smugglers, Wreckers and Pirates - Gavin Chappel
Fantastic book thumbsup i emailed gavin,i was that impressed. He's a wiki member yanno!
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: wormhole caves - 8th Nov 2010 7:38pm
When I was was kid we were told the caves went from St Hilary's church to New Brighton to Mother Redcaps. Don't know about that.
I know that they found some caves late 19th century under the Palace. As kids I saw a friend of mine trying to hacksaw the lock off the Wellington Road garden entrance to the Wormhole and being chased by the owners ( early UE people we were) and later we tried to access Mother Redcaps when the original house was there but didn't get far before a local bobby thwarted us. Also tried to get into the old tower at St Hilarys but got chased by a vicar in a frock. didn't know if he was after getting us arrested - or after us so ran fast.

Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: wormhole caves New Brighton (Yellow Noses) - 24th Jan 2011 2:51pm
I remember my Grandad telling me about these tunnels years ago.

I've done loads of reasearch on this recently. I'm in no doubt they exsist as there are one or two maps of the main cavern floating around the internet. I believe in the 90's the owner would open the caves publicly once or twice a year in aid of Claire house etc.. I know someone local to the area who has confirmed this but there seems to have been nothing in recent years.

Does anyone know wether the public viewings still happen. I believe the only remaing access is through a manhole in the garden of Rock Villa. The house is situated just in front of a crazy golf green and there is a visble archway that has been blocked up with sandstone. Any leads or further info would be a great help.

Theres a good book on this by Gavin chappell a chap called Mike Kemble put me onto it last September and it has fuelled my curiosity and i'm determined to have a snoop.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: Helles Re: wormhole caves New Brighton (Yellow Noses) - 24th Jan 2011 9:43pm
Might have been used to store smuggled goods but doubt it actually went anywhere.

Attached picture caves diagram.jpg
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: wormhole caves New Brighton (Yellow Noses) - 24th Jan 2011 9:47pm
Oh, brill-a map-thankyou thumbsup
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: wormhole caves New Brighton (Yellow Noses) - 24th Jan 2011 10:38pm
Originally Posted by Helles
Might have been used to store smuggled goods but doubt it actually went anywhere.
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX

we didnt need a map rude wink
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: wormhole caves New Brighton (Yellow Noses) - 24th Jan 2011 10:53pm
Thanks for the thts peeps, seems to be loads of urban myth around the wormholes. Hard to know what's fact and what's distorted. It's all sandstone so caves would make sense with all the wind and water erosion etc. Doesn't seem to far fetched that smugglers could have extended or linked naturally formed caves and tunnels etc. Just a thought ? Maybe it's the 10year old in me I secretly want it to be like the goonies

Hay you guys lol laugh
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: wormhole caves New Brighton (Yellow Noses) - 24th Jan 2011 10:54pm
Ps thanks to TC for sticking the post into the right thread top man.

Can you tell I'm a noob haha
Posted By: kimpri Re: wormhole caves New Brighton (Yellow Noses) - 24th Jan 2011 11:10pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL

nope, shh
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: wormhole caves New Brighton (Yellow Noses) - 24th Jan 2011 11:17pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL

Well, nooo. Correct!- thou u.e Master grin
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: wormhole caves New Brighton (Yellow Noses) - 24th Jan 2011 11:20pm
Originally Posted by Nelzy84
It's all sandstone so caves would make sense with all the wind and water erosion etc. Doesn't seem to far fetched that smugglers could have extended or linked naturally formed caves and tunnels etc.

Inside the caves you can see most of it is a natural inlet/cave. Other parts it have been built up with bricks with a tunnel section added towards the shore. There is a bit in the middle that looks like it used to be a way up to the house or the site of a previous house/building.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: wormhole caves New Brighton (Yellow Noses) - 24th Jan 2011 11:26pm
Originally Posted by Nelzy84
Thanks for the thts peeps, seems to be loads of urban myth around the wormholes. Hard to know what's fact and what's distorted. It's all sandstone so caves would make sense with all the wind and water erosion etc. Doesn't seem to far fetched that smugglers could have extended or linked naturally formed caves and tunnels etc. Just a thought ? Maybe it's the 10year old in me I secretly want it to be like the goonies

Hay you guys lol laugh
My u.e inspiration came from reading the 'famous five' and the 'secret seven' books, as a child. Good old Enid!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: wormhole caves - 24th Jan 2011 11:39pm
Wow-The Goonies-lol!
imagine a u.e like that, peeps!!!?
(dont put me on 'bone piano'.
offtopic apologies......
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: wormhole caves - 24th Jan 2011 11:53pm
Hahah quality rude box, Enid blyton, that brings back memories of being a young grasshopper heheh I think there is a bit of Indiana jones in all of us smile
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: wormhole caves New Brighton (Yellow Noses) - 25th Jan 2011 12:01am
Cheers Kev

Thanks for that mate, learnt a lot by coming on here. You all seem like a good lot. Sounds like your speaking from first hand experience mate. Thanks for the info. Planning on making a trip up there as soon as with one of your fellow UE's laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: wormhole caves New Brighton (Yellow Noses) - 29th Jan 2011 12:52pm
Hi Les, good to chat to you last night mate. Remember do drop us a shout sometime soon wink
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: wormhole caves New Brighton (Yellow Noses) - 12th Feb 2011 8:23pm
Likewise dude thanks for bothing coming to the enagement do was good to see you both, Tash was made up, will defo give you a shout on the next outing lid
© Wirral-Wikiwirral