Forums
Posted By: Trearan What year did New Ferry Swimming Pool Close? - 30th Mar 2010 11:49pm
When I first moved to New Ferry 22 years ago, and bought my house which is built on the site of the former swimming pool, I recall a neighbour from Merseybank Road showing me some photos of the pool complex as Wimpey's bulldozers moved in to start demolishing it circa 1986/7. I remember he told me that the pool had actually closed in "1977". However, more recently, a few people have contradicted this and suggested it was 1979, 1980 or even 1981 when the pool closed for the last time. Can anyone please give me further information/clarification?

[Linked Image]
(My house is situated where the building to the right is).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What year did New Ferry Swimming Pool Close? - 30th Mar 2010 11:53pm
I worked in New Ferry in 1985-86 and I have no recollection of the baths then, so I would assume (assume, mind you) that it must have been earlier than that.
think it was the late 70s early 80s, because my son was born 77 and it was still there then, and he said he remembers his auntie taking him there while i went to work,so he would of been about 2-3 then, so it was early 80s i would say!
i remember the Wimpy estate being built--or should i say thrown up! one day the structure was there, next day the roof was on!!
no disrespect to anyone living there but i called it lego land!!
we went round the show houses when the estate was going up, and they were so small!!
Someone I went to school with att he time got nicked attempting to drive one of the JCB's on there when it was being built. lol
Oh and I went in there after it was closed in the summer holidays of 83 so it was certainly before then.
It was definately closed by 1981 as we had some stuff from the office there stored in our depot. We threw it out on a shutdown and then one of the big bosses came around looking for it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral