Forums
Posted By: bert1 Volunteer Drill Sheds - 20th Mar 2010 7:24am
Derek sent me a portion of Ordnance survey map 1875 to help with another project, I noticed on the Priory St/ Abbot St area, 2 large buildings (marked Yellow), described as Volunteer Drill Sheds, I'm assuming Military, any more information would be appreciated.

Attached picture 1.JPG
Attached picture 2.JPG
Posted By: bazzoh Re: Volunteer Drill Sheds - 20th Mar 2010 11:54am
is that the same sort of thing that is on urmston road in wallasey? the old tyre service place?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Volunteer Drill Sheds - 20th Mar 2010 12:05pm
[quote=bazzoh]is that the same sort of thing that is on urmston road in wallasey? the old tyre service place? [/quot

Don't know mate, need a map around the same time.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Volunteer Drill Sheds - 20th Mar 2010 3:06pm
i think about that period there was the Cheshire Rifles volunteers ( an ancestor of mine was in them)
off wikipedia
The Volunteer Force was a citizen army of part-time rifle, artillery and engineer corps, created as a popular movement in 1859. Originally highly autonomous, the units of volunteers became increasingly integrated with the British Army after the Childers Reforms in 1881, before forming part of the Territorial Force in 1908. Most of the regiments of the present Territorial Army Infantry, Artillery, Engineers and Signals units are directly descended from Volunteer Force units.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Volunteer Drill Sheds - 20th Mar 2010 3:14pm
Thanks Derek, i hope you appreciate how i bring the best out in you.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral