Forums
Posted By: inflatablebone Were any artifacts found building the M53 - 22nd Feb 2010 12:36pm
I was wondering whether anyone knows if any historical artifacts were discovered during the construction of the M53 motorway. With one of the possible sites of the Battle Of Brunaburh nearby (for which no evidence has as yet been discovered) I was wondering if any artifacts were unearthed along the route relating to this or any other periods of Wirral history.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Were any artifacts found building the M53 - 22nd Feb 2010 2:09pm
Might be worth a look on http://www.pastscape.org.uk as you can search with long and lat, OS grid ref and also postcode
Ok will do , thanks
the remains of a viking wooden bridge was found at Saugall when the bye- pass was getting put in.(this is a well reported fact) I would think they would keep it under wraps if they did find anything. examples of this is the long boat under ring o bells car park and the Meols prom is on top of important archaeology. I have seen a test pit go in. Landican area but have not seen any reports on same There is also a viking stone in same area can"t say exact place
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Were any artifacts found building the M53 - 22nd Feb 2010 3:05pm
i thought the longboat was in railway inn car park? think
you could be rihgt i"m a bit senile but you get the gist of the thread lol
Its the Railway deffo. There are scans availible from ground penetrating radar that you can look at. Clicky

Posted By: Archaeo Re: Were any artifacts found building the M53 - 23rd Feb 2010 8:56pm
The 'Viking Bridge' in S.Massie was dated with dendrochronology to the Bronze Age. It has been preserved via the means of supporting metal braces that can be taken out without damaging the bridge in future as and when the funds may be available to fully excavate it.
Posted By: lynneb Re: Were any artifacts found building the M53 - 23rd Feb 2010 9:28pm
According to to Professor Stephen Harding..IF your Grandfather,(now perhaps ? )your Great Grandfather, was born on the WIRRAL,it is more than possible that you have Viking ancestry !

It is only possible to test down the male line....

(In the mean time, we girlies have to submit to raiders from Scandinavia, and MUST repel all boarders from England ?)

(Don't quote me yet.

Other clever Wirral Wiki's will confirm or deny !
Seemingly, another pointer is..if your skin forms keloid scars,(slightly raised,which on age turn white against the skin)..you have Viking ancestry)

PLEASE, form an orderly queue..behind me !

Posted By: derekdwc Re: Were any artifacts found building the M53 - 23rd Feb 2010 11:12pm
Originally Posted by lynneb
According to to Professor Stephen Harding..IF your Grandfather,(now perhaps ? )your Great Grandfather, was born on the WIRRAL,it is more than possible that you have Viking ancestry !

It is only possible to test down the male line....

(In the mean time, we girlies have to submit to raiders from Scandinavia, and MUST repel all boarders from England ?)

(Don't quote me yet.Other clever Wirral Wiki's will confirm or deny !
Seemingly, another pointer is..if your skin forms keloid scars,(slightly raised,which on age turn white against the skin)..you have Viking ancestry)

PLEASE, form an orderly queue..behind me !

watch for Der Vogelfänger as well girl
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Were any artifacts found building the M53 - 21st Mar 2010 1:38pm
This may have a connection-in the early 70's I went to Hillside school and one of the families who lived on the Noctorum found a sword or pair of swords when digging up their garden . I'm afraid that can't remember much else about it - anyone have any ideas ?
Posted By: dingle Re: Were any artifacts found building the M53 - 11th Apr 2010 12:16am
Pretty sure it would only take Time Team 3 days to dig it up!!!
I worked on the M53 construction and have no recollection of interesting artefacts coming to light.Lots of piling for the northern section and fill being taken from areas to the south of Woodchurch interchange.Spent over 3 years working there and there wasn't even a rumour of a find.
Posted By: Helles Re: Were any artifacts found building the M53 - 16th Mar 2011 5:06pm
Found a few bombs didn't they or was that the embankment?
Some anti-aircraft ammo was found in an old barn which was just about to be burnt.This was apparently stored for use in a battery near the Moreton sliproad.The land was used by an old boy,think his name was de Brotherton,who claimed to be a descendant of the Plantagenants and have should have been the rightful king.I have a feeling he may have owned a Vampire jet fighter which he kept in his garden in Birkenhead.He also said he never paid any rent for the land to the owners,Wallasey Corporation,as their records were lost when the Town Hall was bombed.
I heard the motorway was built on top of a roman road because they we're strait
Posted By: dirtydave99 river mersey - 17th Mar 2011 3:35pm
Can any one tell me how deep it is in the middle of the mersey an has any one been to the bottom of it, divers, army etc etc
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: river mersey - 17th Mar 2011 4:45pm
Originally Posted by dirtydave99
Can any one tell me how deep it is in the middle of the mersey an has any one been to the bottom of it, divers, army etc etc
Mean depth of the Mersey is taken as 15m. At Ellesmere Port to Speke, a man walked across at low tide when the maximum depth was 5ft on that route.

Deepest part over the mersey tunnel is 27.5m (90.2ft) at low tide, which is roughly in the centre.
Posted By: dirtydave99 Re: river mersey - 17th Mar 2011 9:12pm
Cheers mate just always wondered, 90ft is deep haha
Posted By: w10694 Re: river mersey - 17th Mar 2011 10:47pm
According to my book of "Motorway Achievements", the junction at Storeton (nr Asda) is of interest, because it is a 3-level junction built on 2-levels.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: river mersey - 17th Mar 2011 11:00pm
Originally Posted by w10694
According to my book of "Motorway Achievements", the junction at Storeton (nr Asda) is of interest, because it is a 3-level junction built on 2-levels.
I never thought of that but beacause Woodchurch Road goes over the Motorway and the Roundabout I see what they mean. There is a footbridge over Woodchurch Road as well that briges the Motorway which makes it a 4th level!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral