Forums
Posted By: Roslynmuse Harrison Drive - 16th Feb 2010 10:47pm
Wondering if anyone has any old photos (or memories) of Harrison Drive? Particularly thinking of the stretch from where the shalets used to be as far as the Derby Pool and the big play areas (remember the trampolines?) - that bit was always packed on a hot summer's day. Then, if you carried on walking along the 'prom' it always seemed to get colder and windier and more lonely; there were weird dark bumpy rocks down below (I used to think they looked like crocodiles!), and then suddenly the concrete walkway ran out and there was a cove, a natural inlet, all yellow sandstone if I remember rightly, big dramatic cliffs to a small boy (as I was then). I could never wait to turn round and walk back to civilisation. Even 30 years ago that was all built up to make it easy for the walker to get over to Leasowe and beyond. Wish I had some pics to put up myself!
Posted By: MrG65 Re: Harrison Drive - 16th Feb 2010 11:18pm
Hi,

Someone posted a picture of the ladybird invasion of '76 here:-
Harrison Drive Ladybird Swarm

This is looking back east towards Harrison Drive and the junction with the King's Parade wall. Were the dark bumpy rocks you mention the old anti-invasion defences from WWII?

Maybe you walked as far as Leasowe Bay, which was unprotected by concrete and the sand dunes (the yellow sandstone you mention?) were eroding away.

Forget civilisation, I'd have kept walking the other way smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Harrison Drive - 16th Feb 2010 11:22pm

Attached picture harrison_drive.jpg
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Harrison Drive - 16th Feb 2010 11:30pm
smile Just wondering what part of Harrison Drive is this?
Posted By: AR_One Re: Harrison Drive - 17th Feb 2010 8:03am
I do have a vaugue memory as a child of trampolines near there - were they where the pitch and putt is now?
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Harrison Drive - 17th Feb 2010 8:17pm
I just cant place it, is this stretch of harrison drive going past where Mockbeggar Drive is now? help!
Posted By: ahbaldy Re: Harrison Drive - 17th Feb 2010 9:26pm

Attached picture slide_29_05_1970.jpg
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Harrison Drive - 17th Feb 2010 9:43pm
Thats not Harrison Drive though,
Posted By: ahbaldy Re: Harrison Drive - 18th Feb 2010 11:16am
Your welcome.
Posted By: john1788 Re: Harrison Drive - 18th Feb 2010 5:33pm
Give that man a medal
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Harrison Drive - 18th Feb 2010 10:52pm
Thanks for the replies and photos!

MrG65 - yes, I'm sure you're right about it being Leasowe Bay - not that I'd ever heard it called that but your description sounds right. The big steps on the ladybird photo were just in front of the shalets, if I remember right, and I'm sure I was told they were WWII anti-invasion defences. The dark bumpy rocks weren't big enough to be of any use; I think they were just where the sand was washing away (it was about the time that Seaforth was built and the whole tide/sand thing at New Brighton changed forever.) I'm wondering whether they had mesh 'cages' over them too? That could just be imagination.

Can't quite place where Paul's photo is.

Trampolines were within concrete walls, just at the end of Bayswater Road next to where the Derby Pool was. The No 2 bus (I think) ended its route there.

The trampoline photo looks like the little fairground in New Brighton - I spent a long time there too!

Posted By: john1788 Re: Harrison Drive - 19th Feb 2010 1:57am
paul's pic looks like near to where the road passes over the train tracks just past windsors but i'm sure someone will say i'm wrong.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Harrison Drive - 19th Feb 2010 2:37am
To answer the question regarding the picture I posted (and taken from my site)
-------------
Harrison Park was presented to the town in 1896 by the Harrison family, in memory of their parents. Cricket, Bowls and Tennis were frequently played in the summer season and it is a popular place for families. Harrison Drive was opened on 24th June 1901 which cost the Council £7,580 to build and takes its name from the family. Blown sand would often cover the road, indeed sometimes it was so bad that only the upper portion of the lamp-posts could be seen. The surrounding area, down to the promenade, is always referred to as 'Harrison Drive'.
--------------

The picture is taken among the sand dunes just after the railway bridge with the shore in the distance (as yet there is no built promenade)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Harrison Drive - 19th Feb 2010 2:40am
Originally Posted by ahbaldy
<picture>

It is of course taken from Marine Promenade, opposite the bottom of Rowson Street.

Don't forget my medal!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral