Forums
Posted By: giropay The Magnet Film - Locations - 14th Feb 2010 6:55am
Hi - THe Magnet film again - can anyone help with the locations for these three shots from the film?

Attached picture mg010.jpg
Attached picture mg013.jpg
Attached picture mg039.jpg
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 14th Feb 2010 7:51am
Wallasey area? My great uncle would know he played the tear away kid who used the magnet on the pinball machine near the beginning of the film, not seen him in years though. Good luck with finding the locations, I'm sure someone here will know. I'm sure I heard it may have been somewhere in wallasey. smile
Has the IMDB any info?

http://www.reelstreets.com/public/p_film_page.php?film=magnet

Hope this may help a little. smile
Posted By: parkhill62 Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 14th Feb 2010 11:10am
My dad watched the filming of the final scenes where the boy falls in the water.They threw a dummy off Rock Ferry Pier/jetty so they could have used the houses around Rock Park?
I love the film,so i`ve used it in 2 videos "My Boyish Days" by Care featuring Ian Broudie (pre Lightning Seeds)and a version of Ferry cross the Mersey by Pat Metheny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ytLyL4SRFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2EHG_DyZZ8

p.s. does the embed code work on wiki as the preview just showed the code as opposed to other site previews?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 14th Feb 2010 11:31am
Useless Information No.427/B. I don't recall either Wallasey or Birkenhead having that type of gas lamp column (See 2nd pic). The ones in Rock Park (originals, not the recent REVO's) were the bog standard plain, slim, fluted type with an increase in diameter for about 10" from ground level. Have a 35mm slide of them somewhere.

Can't make out the street name in 3rd pic. Can anyone else ? That would help.
Posted By: giropay Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 17th Feb 2010 3:49pm
Thanks for your replies - I've checked out Rock Park - but unfortunately not the right location - very interesting to see that area though.
Hope someone else can help?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 17th Feb 2010 5:06pm
I did a piece about the film on my site

http://www....co.uk/wallasey/the_magnet/index.html
Posted By: lynneb Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 18th Feb 2010 5:07am
Oxton....Elm Road area ?
Posted By: lynneb Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 18th Feb 2010 10:09pm
Think outside the box ?
It is on the Wirral ?

Look at the far distance..they look like houses/cottages that are just on the edge of some Park boundaries ?
On Birkenhead Park exits, as it now ? I don't think so.

But with a bit of editing...they are on the Wirral at that time (and not a lot of money to spend then? )..it serpently.......ain't in West Kirby,in case you ask !

Errrm...can I suggest,as VERY NEW Newbie to this site....(HISS,BOOO ? )that all the trickies,trackies,wheelies,hot rods,bicycle boys,& ALL of us,as ordinary motorists.......keep an eye out for OLD sandstone entrances on the Wirral?

I bet, £10...it is somewhere in OXTON ?

Bigger problem........I am fascinated by this film,that I have never seen.
Can I filtch,approciate,cadge,or even BUY a copy from anyone ?
Posted By: giropay Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 19th Feb 2010 5:45am
Hi lynneb - you can watch the film at this link(not great quality)

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay...jW-AaJ0PHVBw&q=the+magnet&hl=en#

Or you can buy it from amazon for about £5.00

I will check out the Elm Road area - do you meanthe Elm Road by St Catherine's hospital ?

thanks

Posted By: MerseyMan Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 19th Feb 2010 8:36am
I got my copy from amazon or play, it was under a fiver anyway.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 19th Feb 2010 9:38am
I ordered a copy of amazon the other day
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 19th Jul 2010 7:51am
I thought it was mainly filmed in New Brighton?
Posted By: Helles Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 19th Jul 2010 2:51pm
It was plus a few other local locations. Some in Liverpool as well.

Longworths bike shop in Rowson street was where the cellar with the iron lung in it was. The kid ran down the entry at the side and reappeared coming out of the entry next to the Ferry hotel (Chelsea to the young ones). An impossibility but that's artistic licence for you.

Other scenes were shot in the baths, Sea Road, Manor road, Kirkway amongst others. Have to admit that those photo's at the top have me stumped and I have seen them before and tried like hell to locate them. I am not convinced they are Wirral?
Posted By: giropay Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 3rd Aug 2010 7:36am
Hi Helles and everyone.I have recently found out that the road and houses in the photos were used in another film as well.This was 'The Long Memory' 1952 starring John Mills.This film was shot in Gravesend and London - so I think it is safe to say that these shots from 'The Magnet' were not in the Wirral - but probably London.
Posted By: delta6 Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 3rd Aug 2010 1:47pm
does look like earlston road, junction with seaview road, liscard and surrounding area.
Posted By: delta6 Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 3rd Aug 2010 1:56pm
Originally Posted by delta6
does look like earlston road, junction with seaview road, liscard and surrounding area.

no it doesnt - ignore me. just had another look.
cottages do look familiar though.
Posted By: carcol2006 Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 14th Aug 2010 6:33pm
It looks like Martins Lane but I am most probably wrong well the wife says I always am lol .
Posted By: carcol2006 Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 14th Aug 2010 6:36pm
Looking at picture 2 it could be Magazine Lane looking from the Mags pub towards Vale Park.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 14th Aug 2010 8:17pm
Originally Posted by carcol2006
Looking at picture 2 it could be Magazine Lane looking from the Mags pub towards Vale Park.
Good try! It does look similar, but the walls are different, Magazine Lane has Sandstone Block walls, and Magnet looks like random brick (or certainly brick size). Also the houses are further back on Magnet.
Posted By: hoseman Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 14th Aug 2010 8:33pm
On the subject of copies, i got mine off a very nice Snodvan, on Wiki. I love this film!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 14th Aug 2010 8:44pm
You are right hoseman. It's a great film. Yes it's corny in a way, but still a delight. Great to see a lot of familiar places. Sadly a lot has been swept away in the name of "progress". The ride on the Overhead, the ferry departing the New Brighton stage, the terraced houses in Liverpool. To repeat - a delight!
Posted By: Capt_America Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 14th Aug 2010 9:03pm
Where any other films shot in Wallasey? I know "that'll be the day" with David Essex and Adam faith was shot in the New Palace.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 14th Aug 2010 9:48pm
Originally Posted by hoseman
On the subject of copies, i got mine off a very nice Snodvan, on Wiki. I love this film!

Yes, great film, its freely available to watch/download on google video also smile

No copyright on this anymore smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: The Magnet Film - Locations - 14th Aug 2010 9:52pm
Originally Posted by Capt_America
Where any other films shot in Wallasey? I know "that'll be the day" with David Essex and Adam faith was shot in the New Palace.

Heres a good site smile

Here
© Wirral-Wikiwirral