Forums
Posted By: chris58 charing cross - 12th Feb 2010 8:27pm
Dont know if anyone can shed any light on this. My mum and I were driving past charing cross today and she mentioned a cross (Eleanor cross???) in memory of someones wife which was erected as he passed through each county to take her body home. It's going back hundreds of years, it may have been a king called Edward???. Anyway my mum wants to have a look for it. Can anyone help here? She's in her 80's so may be a bit mixed up,but she was adamant about it!. I told her if anyone would know you guys would!.
Thanks
Posted By: cookie Re: charing cross - 12th Feb 2010 9:16pm
the only cross i can think of thats close to us is at the top of victoria park ,tranmere ????????
Posted By: cookie Re: charing cross - 12th Feb 2010 9:21pm
just had a quick look online and the eleanor cross is outside charing cross station in london.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: charing cross - 12th Feb 2010 10:02pm

The Elanor in question was the wife of Edward I. Queen Elanor died near Lincoln in 1290, her body was carried to Westminster Abbey in London.

At each town that the procession stopped for the night, a rough wooden cross was erected, the locations of the 12 crosses were Lincoln, Grantham, Stamford, Geddington, Northampton, Stony Stratford, Woburn, Dunstable, St. Albans, Waltham, Westcheap, and Charing. The wooden crosses were later replased with stone monuments.

Only three of the crosses remain today, these are at Waltham, Geddington, and Hardingstone.

During the 19th and early 20th centuries several fake Eleanor Crosses were erected, notably at Ilam, Walkden (Lancashire), Sledmere (Yorkshire), and Queensbury.

The Queen Victoria monument in Hamilton Square is in the form of an Elanor Cross.

Posted By: chris58 Re: charing cross - 13th Feb 2010 3:16pm
Thanks for that. I will pass the info on to my mum. The cross you mention at Vicky Park Cookie is the Tranmere Cross. Thanks everyone for your answers.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral