Forums
Posted By: kimpri New ferry baths - 10th Feb 2010 5:20pm
Anyone know the height of the big diving board?

New ferry baths
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: New ferry baths - 10th Feb 2010 6:11pm
Åccording to an archived wirral globe report, an old lady remembers there were 9 levels, the highest waß possibly 25 foot??
http://archive.wirralglobe.co.uk/1997/4/16/22381.htm
Posted By: kimpri Re: New ferry baths - 10th Feb 2010 10:33pm
The spring board was about 15 foot high, smile

The big diving board has got to be more than 25 foot? think smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: New ferry baths - 10th Feb 2010 11:58pm
I cant dive frown meself. Never been able too. Plus can tho-he taught the 'kids'. Knocks me sick the thought of it....and im scared of empty pools but my concious self dunno why?!
Posted By: kimpri Re: New ferry baths - 11th Feb 2010 2:32pm
New Brighton was 10 meters high, (about 33 foot)

New Ferry 7.5 meters (25 foot) might go down to archives on this one. smile
Posted By: bri445 Re: New ferry baths - 14th Feb 2010 8:23pm
All the statistics are here, in a page from the Bebington Official Guide, dated 1966.
Note the entrance prices, equivalent to 2.1/2p and 5p now!
All gone, alas!

Bri

Description: Bebington Official Guide 1966
Attached picture Scan-100214-0001.jpg
Posted By: Capt_America Re: New ferry baths - 14th Feb 2010 10:07pm
Great find, I used to know Fred Newton who was a plant man there for years. He passed away about 15 years ago. He used to swim at Byrne Ave with his wife after he retired. What a character. I only visited New Ferry baths once (I was a Derby Pool boy). It was my wife's regular haunt with her sisters when she was a kid.
Posted By: kimpri Re: New ferry baths - 14th Feb 2010 10:17pm
ye good find happy smile
Posted By: dingle Re: New ferry baths - 22nd Feb 2010 10:54pm
I have a memory of New Ferry Baths. Getting to the top of the high board then looking down and nearly fainting. Luckily we only went to pick up girls, not dive off the high board.
Posted By: inflatablebone Re: New ferry baths - 23rd Feb 2010 12:35pm
I remember ,as a kid, climbing up to the top of the high board being scared and climbing down again ...oh the shame of it.
Posted By: yantodavid Re: New ferry baths - 19th Mar 2010 10:11am
Hello everybody,remember the baths in New Ferry and my memory seems to be the highest diving board was about 60 ft,will stand to be corrected,if anybody has definite info.
Posted By: chriskay Re: New ferry baths - 19th Mar 2010 10:17am
Originally Posted by yantodavid
highest diving board was about 60 ft,will stand to be corrected,if anybody has definite info.

See official statistics above.
Welcome, BTW.
Posted By: bri445 Re: New ferry baths - 19th Mar 2010 9:11pm
I suspect 60 feet is a bit wide (or high!) of the mark. I've found 2 photos of the platforms showing 5 levels, not 9 as mentioned somewhere else.
The first clearly shows 12 steps and, at say 9 inches each, makes the distance from board 4 to board 5 about 3 metres. Scaling the heights of other boards from an estimated water level agrees with the above text figures of 10 and 3 metres. The heights of the person sitting at the bottom of the tower and the children to the right just about confirm my calculations.
Photo 2 is less clear but, using the 12 steps again, there is a person on board 5 who scales about right.

'Seven' metres sounds unusual and it's surprising that metres are used at all, bearing in mind that the pool, 100 metres long, was built in 1934, when we had an Empire and used yards, feet and inches, etc., elsewhere! Presumably the metric measurements, also in athletics, came from the Olympic Games.

Bri

Description: Photo 1
Attached picture NFB1.jpg

Description: Photo 2
Attached picture NFB2.jpg
Posted By: Robbieb Re: New ferry baths - 18th May 2010 6:08pm
I used to dive off the top board at New Ferry, up until I was about 14yrs old. I always thought the top board was 66' high! Mind you, I was about 4' high, so maybe things were relative to my height!

Robbie
Posted By: Longnails Re: New ferry baths - 3rd Jul 2010 2:18pm
I loved New Ferry Baths but couldn't dive and I swam like a brick laugh. The water was freezing cold even on the sunniest days. The best thing about going to the baths was eating the food our Mothers had for us.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: New ferry baths - 14th Jul 2012 2:33pm
i started going to new ferry baths in the fifties and i think the top board was around 10metrs there was a lower springboard as well not sure if top board was lowered in later years or that was new brighton, what a shame its gone not the same atmosphere in the indoor baths ---good old daye eh
Posted By: yewgarth Re: New ferry baths - 14th Jul 2012 9:10pm
I lived and still live near where the baths used to be. I spent so much time there that i think i got gills over the years. I couldn't then and still can't swim but i got my 100 yds certificate from the instructor 'Chalky' White for walking along the bottom and kicking my legs once or twice!
Posted By: oxtonmac Re: New ferry baths - 15th Jul 2012 10:21pm
wasn't it about 16ft deep under the diving boards ?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral