Forums
Posted By: davaw1 old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 6th Dec 2009 11:52pm
Does anybody have any old pictures from the Woodchurch Estate when it was first completed, or just any from the 50's - 80's any of the old co-op laundary aswell?
Posted By: kimpri Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 7th Dec 2009 6:00am
please or thanks gets you a better result?
Posted By: bert1 Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 7th Dec 2009 6:52am

Attached picture com fiel.jpg
Attached picture wb1.jpg
Posted By: davaw1 Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 7th Dec 2009 3:44pm
thank you bert laugh anyone more anyone please? smile
Posted By: bert1 Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 7th Dec 2009 4:01pm
Found this, [youtube]HkiPkwQ4HYI[/youtube]
Posted By: marty99fred Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 12th Dec 2009 3:28pm
Here are a few pics showing Ackers Road, Home Farm Road & Common Field Road in about 1953, when all the grass verges, etc, were being landscaped.
I'm not sure of the exact location of the last pic. Does anyone out there recognize exactly where it is? It's probably changed a lot by now...

Attached picture Ackers Road.jpg
Attached picture Home Farm Road 1.jpg
Attached picture Home Farm Road 2.jpg
Attached picture Home Farm Road 3.jpg
Attached picture Home Farm Road 4.jpg
Attached picture Common Field Road.jpg
Attached picture Query.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 12th Dec 2009 3:47pm
Good photographs marty! Great to see the place so uncluttered !
Posted By: davaw1 Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 13th Dec 2009 5:18am
great pics thanks, and i think the last photo would be where grasswood road meets carrbridge road
Posted By: bri445 Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 13th Dec 2009 11:09am
Amazing, the width between houses and road, which would have been maintained by the council! Here, we are lucky to get footpath edges.They don't do 'pavements' any more!
Here's a couple from the Birkenhead Guide, 1951.

Attached picture Scan-091213-0001.jpg
Attached picture Scan-091213-0002.jpg
Posted By: starbuck75 Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 13th Dec 2009 11:31am
Wow, they all look like something from a Doris Day film here lol. Amazing pix!
Posted By: Capt_America Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 13th Dec 2009 1:10pm
The life guard in the swimming baths is Jimmy Havran I worked there with him in 1981. He retired about '86.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 13th Dec 2009 9:16pm
Originally Posted by davaw1
great pics thanks, and i think the last photo would be where grasswood road meets carrbridge road

Thanx, it could be. I'll have to check that out.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 13th Dec 2009 9:25pm
Just checked it out on Bing's 'Bird's Eye' view & it looks like you're spot on. And, surprisingly, it doesn't appear to have changed that much at all...
Posted By: kimpri Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 13th Dec 2009 9:47pm
fernybrow road? one going up on left smile
Posted By: Stegga Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 14th Dec 2009 2:07am
These pics are brilliant, i've lived on the woodchuch estate for 6 years and these pics are an eye opener. Keep them coming.
Posted By: Stegga Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 14th Dec 2009 11:43am
Originally Posted by bri445
Amazing, the width between houses and road, which would have been maintained by the council! Here, we are lucky to get footpath edges.They don't do 'pavements' any more!
Here's a couple from the Birkenhead Guide, 1951.

The first of those two pictures is Numbers 1 to 11 Newhey Road. They back directly onto the Asda loading bay.
Posted By: locomotive Re: old pictures of woodchurch estate? - 29th Sep 2014 2:42pm
Had to reply to this one, I'm a relatively new member looking through all the old posts, I lived in no 7 New Hey Rd on this photograph with my parents. We moved up to the Woodchurch in 1954 when I was 11, it was my last week in Cole St primary school, I remember the space all round (apart from the hot water and indoor plumbing, no more tin baths by the fire)we moved from Mornington St., middle of town, when I saw all those fields, wow, we used to go out exploring all day when we weren't in school, got married in 1964 and moved back downtown, thanks for posting this photograph.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral