Forums
Posted By: pacef8 Green Lane Sweet shop Info wanted - 11th Nov 2009 9:59pm
My friend was brought up in this shop that she says was on the corner of green lane and opposite the monkey steps and bus stop. Rock ferry It was used by all and sundry on their way to Cammel lairds and was often broken into. Her dad had the place during the 60s and seventies until they moved to the shop up the road and on the corner at mountwood estate Bebington. (that shop is still there)
Her Dad is now a bit infirm so it would be great if anyone has any memories or photos.

Many Thanks

Pace
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Green Lane Sweet shop Info wanted - 11th Nov 2009 10:14pm
Originally Posted by pacef8
My friend was brought up in this shop that she says was on the corner of green lane and opposite the monkey steps and bus stop. Rock ferry It was used by all and sundry on their way to Cammel lairds and was often broken into. Her dad had the place during the 60s and seventies until they moved to the shop up the road and on the corner at mountwood estate Bebington. (that shop is still there)
Her Dad is now a bit infirm so it would be great if anyone has any memories or photos.

Many Thanks

Pace

any pics gang?
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Green Lane Sweet shop Info wanted - 11th Nov 2009 10:26pm
Give people time to get the shoe box out from under the stairs Trance
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Green Lane Sweet shop Info wanted - 12th Nov 2009 4:50pm
I don't have any pics but when I was a kid in the 80's on Queen street opposite the monkey steps there was a barber shop (I think it was called Franks) and at the other end of the very short row of houses there was a little shop that was run by a chinese lady until she gave it up and it was turned into a house if thats any help?? I'm sure the house is still there and is instantly recognisable as a former shop.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Green Lane Sweet shop Info wanted - 12th Nov 2009 6:39pm
Your correct about the barbers, it was on the corner of Chamberlin Street which was pulled down along with small row of houses and is now a car park. The shop on the opposit corner of Chamberlin Street is still there and is now a auto elec repair place.
By the way it it Tranmere, not Rock Ferry, Rock Ferry start on the south side of St Pauls Road.
Posted By: georgetheking Re: Green Lane Sweet shop Info wanted - 11th Sep 2012 1:50pm
hya yes your right about the shop on the corner of chamberlain street i can go back even further when that shop was a chippy called sandersons on the other corner was jones the paper shop on queen street there was pycrofts the grocers there was a ladies hairdresses and on the other corner was aggie roberts the fishmongers on the otherside of queen st was joe lee the butcher it became traffords the hardware store my nan came over from ireland and lived in stewarts place down the quarry behind joelees she then moved to 22chamberlain street " the flats her name was lydia jones she had five kids jimmy ;tilly ;winny ;margerate & beryl does anyone remember them i would love to hear from anyone who does
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Green Lane Sweet shop Info wanted - 11th Sep 2012 4:05pm
This is a very old thread you have picked up on George,anyway,about the sweetshop,was this owned and run by a Mr&Mrs England who had a son called Barry?
Posted By: georgetheking Re: Green Lane Sweet shop Info wanted - 13th Sep 2012 3:51pm
the sweet shop was called jones i had a job there in the storeroom upstairs i was only abot 8 i remember opening the window throwing sweets to my mates i was a little scoundril in them days smile did you live round there? if so wat is your name?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral