Forums
Posted By: DavidB Liverpool Technology Museum? - 20th Oct 2009 6:46pm
I know this is not based on the Wirral. There was a museum dedicated to technology just further down from the Albert Dock. It was full of big machinery and printing presses etc.
I seem to remember the big industrial machine that cleaned the Mersey Tunnel (it had big 'hands' with brushes on the end).

Is this still there?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 20th Oct 2009 7:02pm
Was it 'interactive'? I vaguly remember something???
Posted By: Robert Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 20th Oct 2009 7:17pm
It was called something like "Liverpool Musuem of Large Objects".

I remember it featuring some kind of science and technology hands on things.
Posted By: w10694 Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 20th Oct 2009 7:52pm
That used to be the Large Objects Museum in the old Riverside Station. Sadly demolished, I've no idea where everything went, I remember a rocket, a model of the Liverpool Loop underground, trams, buses. terrific place.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 20th Oct 2009 10:25pm
Yeah, it did have a huge rocket in there!!!
Posted By: hoseman Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 20th Oct 2009 10:32pm
I used to love going to the Large Objects museum. Some great stuff in there, rockets, satellites, cars, buses, trains and general large machinery! Back of the Liver Bulding / Mesey Travel head offices i think? Always wondered what happened to this and its contents!
Posted By: AR_One Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 20th Oct 2009 10:59pm
Maybe *(hopefully) some of this stuff's in storage and will be brought out when the new part of the museam opens next year?

I remember the large objects too it was great for the summer holidays!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 20th Oct 2009 11:20pm
I remember a mirror kaladioscope-see ya arse from multiple angles, id run a mile away from it nowadays. Lol
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 21st Oct 2009 1:29pm
I remember this very well.. Im not sure what happened to it. But what i do remember from it. It had a show of some sort outside built with a big machine contraption which looked like a bicycle it was outside and it was quite big and it was a show kind of thing.. I remember the rocket but apart from that its a mystery that it just went.. smile
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 21st Oct 2009 1:45pm
Maybe they'll exhibit in the new museum when it opens...
http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/galleries/
Posted By: DavidB Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 21st Oct 2009 2:03pm
I remember the bike thing outside! It balanced perfectly on the rope because of the weights underneath.

They also had a can crusher that used air on drinks cans, and a printing press where you got your name printed. Loved the big stuff in there though, that was the best part of it.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 21st Oct 2009 2:07pm
Found some good photos (from the 80's) here:

http://liverpooldays.com/photo/thumbnails.php?album=33

Large objects Museum at Princes Dock 30th September 1989..this would be on the area to the left of the Crowne Plaza hotel at the Pier Head..right on the waterfront

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 21st Oct 2009 6:22pm
Oh wow I used to love going there!!. I remember outside there was this thing on rails with a compressed air cylinder that was coupled to another cylinder filled with water. You could ride on it up the yard but you had to try and explain to the man how it worked before he would let you on. Also you could build a small brige out of small sections and then walk over it. I bet if it was still there now you would not be allow to do half the stuff you could back then thanks to health n safety.
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 21st Oct 2009 8:49pm
The new Museum of Liverpool Life will not be displaying many of the items from the large objects collection. The vast majority of these are doomed to be stored for many years to come, as the museum does not have the space to exhibit them. If anybody really wants to have a look at these items all they need to do is to contact the museum and request a viewing. As they are classed as a 'National' museum they have to comply with these requests.

Bob.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 21st Oct 2009 10:12pm
I feel a Wiki day out coming on!!!
Anyone up for it??
Need someone to organise it tho, caus im poo at these things and no one comes caus they dont like me....sob sob cry
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 21st Oct 2009 10:23pm
Wiki day out to do what there tho?
Posted By: hoseman Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 21st Oct 2009 10:26pm
If anybody really wants to have a look at these items all they need to do is to contact the museum and request a viewing. As they are classed as a 'National' museum they have to comply with these requests.

Thurt a bit of scuba diving first, then a ride on the Orient Express and maybe a bungee from the top of Ben Nevis.... Why, what do you normally do in a museum??
doh smack
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 21st Oct 2009 10:39pm
Ahh! Get ya! Ring up anon. as a bit of a 'fone reccy' 1st, then maybe sum one may offer to be 'official tour guide' buk us in etc
Posted By: hoseman Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 23rd Oct 2009 6:20pm
Dont have to ring up `Anon`, been in there today!!
Was on a job in Liverpool centre this afternoon and decided to go in and enquire.
Saw a very helpful woman at the main doors (yes, she worked there, not just piping for business!!)
We got chatting and i explained about WikiWirral, history site and some of the projects weve been invoved in. She seemed very interested when i mentioned The Large Objects Museum.
All the stuff is in warehouse storage in Juniper St, Liverpool, except the train, which is on loan to a museum in Manchester!
I was asking about private tours, which they do, but only for the staff, then she called the museums manager in and i said the same to him. He was involved with the Large Objects Museum and he was keen for us also. I explained about Wiki again and even gave him the web address so he can check for himself.
He agreed that a tour could possibly organised for a certain number of people if enuf interested, i recon a min of 10!!
He has my card and number and will enquire for us!
Fingers crossed eh?
Also, when the new museum of life is finished (2010?), most of the exibits from The Large Objects Museum will be on display in there!!
yipee WIKI ON TOUR!! camera
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 23rd Oct 2009 6:26pm
*flipping out with excitement*
Fantastic work, hoseman!! Nice one-buzzing!

1. Rudebox
2. Plusone
Posted By: kimpri Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 23rd Oct 2009 6:30pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
*flipping out with excitement*
Fantastic work, hoseman!! Nice one-buzzing!

1. Rudebox
2. Plusone
3. kimpri
Posted By: hoseman Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 23rd Oct 2009 6:32pm
Dont count your chickens yet, he will enquire. Thing is, he knows we exsist now and i can make further moves on this now the ice is broken!
Basically, pester the arse off em til they give in.

If you are reading this Sir, from the museum, we would be VERy grateful for your help!!
Thank you from Wiki! thumbsup
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 23rd Oct 2009 6:40pm
Just getting the oar in...lol
Posted By: Historybook Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 23rd Oct 2009 6:53pm
They do have bit's of history from the Wirral in the museum, one of the steam rollers was owned by a firm from Wallasey until it went to the museum, the large traction engine was once a regular sight in Neston and the small steam roller was used for a short while in the Willaston area.
God knows what else they have from the Wirral, I do think that the museums in Liverpool forget where things in the collection come from nowadays, it used to be a museum for the whole area but it modern times it just promotes it's self as only about Liverpool.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 23rd Oct 2009 7:01pm
We should have a museum of Birkenhead History, but no where to store it as the councils keep pulling all the buildings down!!!!
Posted By: bri445 Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 23rd Oct 2009 7:21pm
Is that Cammell Laird big shed still empty?! happy
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 23rd Oct 2009 9:08pm
The construction hall is actually in use at the moment - Lairds are building a large accommodation module in there, which will be craned onto a ship which is coming in after Christmas.

As for any statement that the contents of the large object store will be on show in the the new museum ,this is totally wrong!. The only large objects programmed to go in there are the Overhead Railway coach, 'Lion' & some of the road transport items. To my knowledge all of the rail transport items are in the large object stores & none are on loan in Manchester.

Bob.
Posted By: w10694 Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 23rd Oct 2009 9:42pm
Please include, I'm quite excited !

1. Rudebox
2. Plusone
3. kimpri
4. w10694
Posted By: bazzoh Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 24th Oct 2009 10:29am
Hi
i read somewhere that "Lion" was on loan to manchester?
also as for the wirral history, they have a couple of ex Birkenhead fire appliances in there..
Barry
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 24th Oct 2009 12:03pm
Count me in too!. Im definitely up for it as long as its when I am not at work.

1. Rudebox
2. Plusone
3. kimpri
4. w10694
5. Kevinfinity
Posted By: hoseman Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 24th Oct 2009 12:25pm
Sorry Bob, but this was what i was told yesterday bu the museum manager!
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 24th Oct 2009 5:44pm

Lion was on long term loan to the Manchester Museum of Science and Technology, but it was returned to Liverpool in February 2007 for conservation and preparation for display in 2011.
Posted By: angelina Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 24th Oct 2009 8:00pm
Bob is right , the new museum will house the overhead railway carriage, the first car off the production line from Fords and one or two other pieces still to be decided on as it does not have room for them all. Some of the vehicles do come out on heritage days. To see these large items contact the museum and they will be more then happy to arrange a visit for you, if theres a group of you thats even better.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 26th Oct 2009 2:13pm
Check my previous post angelina, done that
Posted By: hoseman Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 29th Oct 2009 9:01pm
I have an update on this.
Today, Liverpool Museum contacted me regarding a visit for Wiki members to view the objects in storage in Juniper St, Liverpool.
A Mr Tim Shewan called me, he has looked at Wiki and deemed us a responsable site and more than happy to help in this matter of a visit.
He read out an e-mail from Sharon Brown who is incharge of the storage of the Large objects.
It says that a visit for Wiki members would not be a problem except that work is due to start on the repairs to the roof of the storage warehouse in Juniper St.
This work is due to go on until after Xmas and into New Year. There is not a problem with us having a visit, just BAD TIMING im afraid.
We have been promised a guided tour in the spring, and have at least 10 people i know interested already!!
My contacts in the museum are :
Mr Tim Shewan
[email protected]
0151 478 4170

AND

Sharon Brown
[email protected]
0151 487 7064

If anyone has any queries, these people can help. If you need any more info, please do not hesitate to post / pm me, i will call in anytime now we have established a line of communication.
Tim was very helpful and informative and quite impressed with what he saw of Wiki. Maybe he should register himself or Liverpool Museum on Wiki??
OH, AND BY THE WAY.... Some objects in storage from The Large Objects Museum WILL be exibited in the new museum!!!! yes

Posted By: kimpri Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 29th Oct 2009 9:28pm
you've got your foot well in the door there mate. nice one dude
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 29th Oct 2009 9:45pm
Brilliant news! I'm very pleased-something to look forward to in the new year. Thanks, hoseman.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 29th Oct 2009 9:53pm
Well done sir/madam just incase :-),something to look forward to in 2010.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 30th Oct 2009 8:44am
Im a Sir last time i looked!! LOL
Posted By: Historybook Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 31st Oct 2009 2:50pm
It's nice that the someone at the museum took the time to reply, i and others where thinking about writing letters of complaint about the lack of any sort of reply from the people in charge at the Land Transport Collection !. I have been told that they have to respond as they are a national museum, perhaps someone in charge should get the boot !.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 3rd Nov 2009 1:49pm
Awesome, I'd love to go to that. smile
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 3rd Jan 2010 7:55pm
would be really eager if this goes ahead to come along, when the museum closed their basement when they were starting work on the upstairs i was really miffed, loved the overhead carriage, just love going anywhere with BIG stuff really, was told they would all be included in the new museum, so when it opened and became a kids playzone and NOT in my opinion a museum, I was quite annoyed. glad to think these items will once again be on show in Liverpool, they are our heritage and should be celebrated not hidden away.
Posted By: w10694 Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 3rd Jan 2010 9:10pm
Anyone know if the model railway layout of the Merseyrail underground will be on show in the new museum ?
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 4th Jan 2010 12:29am
Originally Posted by Sallybear
would be really eager if this goes ahead to come along, when the museum closed their basement when they were starting work on the upstairs i was really miffed, loved the overhead carriage, just love going anywhere with BIG stuff really, was told they would all be included in the new museum, so when it opened and became a kids playzone and NOT in my opinion a museum, I was quite annoyed. glad to think these items will once again be on show in Liverpool, they are our heritage and should be celebrated not hidden away.

Couldn`t agree more!!! I loved that basement! AND I can`t believe I never knew anything about the big stuff in l`pool before it got shut down!!!! Am gutted!!!!
Posted By: hoseman Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 4th Jan 2010 9:51am
Sorry Sallybear, was told by the museum that only SOME of the stuff will be on display, thats why its best to view it all in storage i think. Must make contact with them again soon to let them know we are still interested!
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 4th Jan 2010 10:01am
definitely Hoseman, Id be quite chuffed to get a look at that stuff again.
Posted By: minimad5 Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 22nd Jan 2010 10:32pm
Any news on when a visit could take place ?
Hope its soon
Posted By: SUExx Re: Liverpool Technology Museum? - 23rd Jan 2010 8:55am
I cant see this happening really, i have worked for national museums liverpool for nearly seven years and when in the past i have enquired about looking around jupiter street we dont get a proper answer.

Although as staff we are getting a look round the new museum soon.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral