Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 1:26pm
Is Waterstones what used to be Burtons the tailors with the Craftmans Club above it

Attached picture poss Craftsman club2.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 1:46pm
Burton's was about there. I remember there being a billiards hall above it. This was quite a regular arrangement; when I visited my son in Walthamstow a few years ago, he took me to his snooker club, which was above a takeaway. As we approached, I said "that building looks like an old Burton's". When we went through the door, there, in the tiling on the floor, was the Burton's logo.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 1:52pm
Yes that was Burton's and the craftsman club and down the ally at the side was the Freemasons place.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 3:35pm
It was a Timothy White shop until Boots bought them out in 1968?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 4:05pm
The only Timothy Whites (& Taylors) I remember was between Charing Cross & Robb's. Was there really another further down?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 4:14pm
if that is the Craftsmans I used to go there in late 60s and it definitely wasn't Timothy White's or Boots (possibly the place next door that is now the Halifax was)
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 4:34pm
hope this jogs your memory Chriskay

Attached picture looking down Grange Road.jpg
Attached picture Robbs now.jpg
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 4:44pm
Why was there a barrier to stop you falling out of the bank but not out of the Grange? on the other side of the road
Posted By: bert1 Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 5:50pm
Had a memory jog, first photo, Waterstones was Timothy whites, then the ally going into the Freemasons lodge, next to the ally was Irvine's followed by Burtons with a small door that took you up to the craftsman's.
Posted By: bazzer Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 6:40pm
THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR THE INFO.ABOUT BURTONS
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 7:01pm
paranoidballoon Here's your railings

Attached picture CHARING CROSS 1967 RESIZED.jpg
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 7:05pm
cheers I could of had a nasty fall there
Posted By: bri445 Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 7:40pm
Could have gone under my passing A40!
Those 3 guys leaning on the bank rail look suspicious!
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 9:44pm
I"m the one in the middle
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 9:50pm
I remember Timothy White's. I think there was a Foster's menswear there too after that and was right next door to Burton's.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 10:35pm
Thanks for the pics, derekdwc. I've now found the pic. I was looking for. It's from the 1947 Outline Plan by Reilly & Aslan.If you compare it with your pics, you can recognise the modern building. It's hard to read the Timothy Whites & Taylors, but it's next to Benefit, which was a shoe shop. On your black & white pic, you can see a sign sticking out of the building which says "CHEMIST"
BTW, Reilly & Aslan titled this pic. "irregular recent development". It clearly dates from the early 1930's & is classic art deco.

The pic. of Bon Marché is the old Robb's building.

Attached picture 2009-09-14 23-13-26_0074.jpg
Posted By: yoller Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 14th Sep 2009 11:29pm
Timothy White's and Burton's definitely were on the section of Grange Road where Waterstone's now is. The Craftsman's (The Cravvies) was up a big flight of stairs above these shops. It wasn't a bad place for a night out, but could get a bit crowded and rough on a Saturday after the pubs shut. Blokes sometimes ended up falling down those stairs when fights broke out.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 16th Sep 2009 12:13pm
Was anyone ever there when Sadie (a homosexual) used to come in with his entourage
The group would suddenly stop playing then begin playing "Welcome to my world"
This was in the late 60s before homosexuals came out of their closets
Nowadays seeing an obvious transvestite or crossdresser walking or riding a bike
about in public will cause a lot of people to stare
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 23rd Sep 2009 4:48pm
chriskay your photo today
Who remembers
British Home Stores
Marks and Spencer

Description: to match chriskays pic
Attached picture Grange Road from Charing  Cross 2.jpg
Attached picture Grange Road 4 stores3 resized.jpg

Description: old pic Irwins
Attached picture Irwins  - Woolworths old 1935.jpg

Description: possible doorway to Craftsmans
Attached picture craftsmans poss door.jpg
Posted By: Jeeps Re: Craftsman club in Grange Road - 26th Sep 2010 12:16am
I seem to recall Timothy Whites was next door to the Co-op?

I certainly remember M&S, my mother worked there one Christmas and I remember the Salvation Army band playing carols opposite in the snow. Remember BHS too.

Sorry, just a year late in posting in this thread. smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral