Forums
Posted By: alan128 Well Lane Primary School - 14th Aug 2009 5:53pm
Looking for a photograph of Well Lane Primary School Tranmere.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Well Lane Primary School - 14th Aug 2009 5:55pm
Recent or past?
Posted By: alan128 Re: Well Lane Primary School - 14th Aug 2009 5:56pm
any time between 1920 and 1960 Went to take a photo and its all changed now
Posted By: Wheels Re: Well Lane Primary School - 14th Aug 2009 5:59pm
ah I see, sorry i cant help with that but could of got some snaps later.

hopefully someone might be able to help you when they see this.

P.s Welcome to WikiWirral smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Well Lane Primary School - 14th Aug 2009 9:17pm
My first school; 1942-48. Sorry, I haven't got a pic.
Posted By: alan128 Re: Well Lane Primary School - 15th Aug 2009 1:43pm
It was my second school i was there from 1953-1956, my mother was there 1918-1923.Birkenhead Archives have admission records for Well Lane 1918 is lost but they have 1941-1962.
My first school was Cole St in Birkenhead that is still the same.
Alan
Posted By: jimbob Re: Well Lane Primary School - 15th Aug 2009 5:59pm
Well Lane was known as the tin hut school , it had a tin roof in its early days
Posted By: bert1 Re: Well Lane Primary School - 15th Aug 2009 6:35pm
Never understood why but my first year at Woodchurch sec 1963 we were bused down to Well Lane for our woodwork classes, when we had perfectly good workshops at woodchurch, if my memory serves me right Well Lane had outside toilets or at least the ones we had to use were.
Posted By: alan128 Re: Well Lane Primary School - 15th Aug 2009 10:37pm
I seem to remember some of the classrooms had sliding partitions which they opened up for assembly.
I was moved to Ionic Street School while work was being done.
Posted By: Nienna Re: Well Lane Primary School - 25th Aug 2009 4:03pm
I went to Well lane from 1965 to 1972.
I have lots of fond memories of the place.

Yes it did have sliding partitions that opened up the classrooms. They were opened up for main assemblies and often to see the max humiliation of caning in full view of the whole school!
It did have outside toilets ..well for the kids! They were always full of spiders and cobwebs. We also had outside shelters.. no going back in if it rained.. no we were out playing in all weathers !
I remeber the school always smelt of polish and carbolic soap. Where the walls were tiled inside they gleamed and the wooded polished floors always shone.
It also had sperate playgrounds for boys and girls..although the girls shared with the infant dept.
My first teacher in the infants was called Mrs Archer! A lovely smiley woman with dark hair.

The head of the Juniors at the time was Mr Mitchell. What a wonderful man he was... a real character and inspiration to his charges. He had a booming voice and told lots of wonderful stories..kept us all enthralled. I was very sad when he retired. The new head I think was called Mr Bateman... or Bat- man..we used to say !
The P.E teacher was Mr Royal...or Joe Royal... very down to earth and a bit of a comedian.

My last teacher was Mr Wilson. He was really strict and scared the life out of me with his shouting and seemingly bad temper. He used to do a lot of talking in the store room just off our class room with Mrs Lewis. We all use to giggle and say they were carrying on..of course they werent... just furtive imaginations on our parts!
He was not to be messed with though and had a real mean aim with the board duster too..and used to throw it around at any one who stepped out of line.
Then he dicovered my passion for music which matched his own and I found that the grumpy frightening old teacher was really a very fair and kind man underneath who just wanted us all to do well.

It was a wonderful happy old school were you felt valued. I was sorry to see it pulled down. Mersey park school just a mile or two away was built around the same time and is still standing. They were lovely Victorian old buildings. I have been past Mersey park recently and it so reminded me of Well lane.... just wished the council had kept Well lane too.
Some where I have old class photos but they dont show the buidling at all.
I hope someone may have some of this wonderful old school.

Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Well Lane Primary School - 25th Aug 2009 9:21pm
has it been knocked down?? oshocked i went here too smile
Posted By: Nienna Re: Well Lane Primary School - 26th Aug 2009 6:28am
They knocked down the lovely original building some time ago.. not sure of when.. maybe someone on here knows.
They replaced it with a new school but it is still called Well Lane.
Posted By: alan128 Re: Well Lane Primary School - 26th Aug 2009 8:29am
Yes I got a shock when I went to get a photo of it.I remember it was a nice old building,but as had already been said the outside toilets were to be avoided if possible.
Going through school admissions at Wirral Archives brought up a lot of names from the past.
Posted By: scoops Re: Well Lane Primary School - 26th Aug 2009 12:19pm
I think they knocked down the original building sometime in the mid to late 80's
Possibly the early 90's.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Well Lane Primary School - 28th Aug 2009 9:15am
I was there yesterday. As has been said, none of the old buildings remain, but the original gateposts in Well Lane are still there.

Attached picture P1010257.JPG
Attached picture P1010258.JPG
Posted By: alan128 Re: Well Lane Primary School - 28th Aug 2009 10:27am
Thanks for photo, they were the gates I used.
I walked through Victoria Park,past the swings then into Well Lane and on to the school.I remember at times the gates used to be locked and I had to walk round to the main entrance.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Well Lane Primary School - 28th Aug 2009 12:08pm
Originally Posted by alan128
Thanks for photo, they were the gates I used.
I walked through Victoria Park,past the swings then into Well Lane and on to the school.I remember at times the gates used to be locked and I had to walk round to the main entrance.

That was my route too. From Ben Nevis Rd. where I lived, Irvine Rd., St.Georges Ave. Then the rest like you. Where did you live?
Posted By: alan128 Re: Well Lane Primary School - 28th Aug 2009 5:22pm
I lived in Allcot Avenue.If you lived on the righthand side , going up towards Ben Nevis you went to Well Lane. The lefthand side went to Bedford Road School.
Posted By: mandi83 Re: Well Lane Primary School - 15th Oct 2009 1:41pm
I went to Well Lane but this was the 80's, fantastic school, we lived at 1 elderwood road, so the house next the big drop by the playground. Not that this is of any use to anyone, just thought I mention how lovely it was, we left there in 1990. fond memories.
Posted By: Lyn123 Re: Well Lane Primary School - 20th Mar 2011 1:41pm
Well Lane was my first Primary School.I remember my first Teacher was an Irish lady called Miss McCabe. She was lovely, very gentle and kind.Mr Mitchell was Headmaster and I agree, he was a great character.There was a Teacher called Mr Greenhough, I was scared stiff by him. I was awful at maths, whenever I got something wrong he would roar at me. I left Well Lane in 1962, returning for cookery classes during my first year at senior school in 1966.I went to Prenton Secondary. I met Mr Mitchell in the old school and he remembered me straight away. He knew me by name asked how I was getting on, he was a smashing Teacher.
During the period from 1962 to 1966, I went to St Saviours in Oxton. That was a lovely old school as well, right next to the Arno. Sadly demolished,but always fondly remembered.
Posted By: cameraman Re: Well Lane Primary School - 24th Mar 2011 8:25pm
Went to Well Lane 69 to 77. The School had two separate large buildings and yes, the toilets outside. We used to play allyo in the sheds. One of the main buildings was knocked down when I changed from infant to middle which was around 73/74. I remember being warned not to play near the top after they had moved the rubble and preparing the area for the tarmac. Mr Royle blew his whistle for everyone to stop and the boys and girls caught out of bounds all got the slipper off him for our sins. We used to play in the top garden and watch the frogs and newts in the pond. Mrs Lewis retired when I was there. Mrs Evans was head and my Favourite teacher was Mrs Garret. Went to Rock Ferry High in 77 and a couple of years later the other building was pulled down. Many happy memories, can anyone remember the turtle shell on display at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the headmistresses office?
Posted By: evil_lynne Re: Well Lane Primary School - 23rd Apr 2012 12:23am
oh the memories are flooding back of well lane ~ remember if you needed toilet paper you had to ask the 'dinner lady' and she gave you 2 peices of paper (if you were lucky), does anyone remember the shed near the infants building where they put on punch and judy shows? Mr Wilson had a wandering hand with the girls

anyone remember the story of puff the magic dragon ?

Posted By: chriskay Re: Well Lane Primary School - 23rd Apr 2012 7:41am
Hi, Lynne; would that be the same Mr. Wilson who was my form teacher in my last year?

Attached picture well lane report.jpg
Posted By: Lyn123 Re: Well Lane Primary School - 23rd Apr 2012 12:03pm
Wow Chris, I never had a school report like that!That is a super one.
Lyn.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Well Lane Primary School - 23rd Apr 2012 1:29pm
Originally Posted by Lyn123
Wow Chris, I never had a school report like that!That is a super one.
Lyn.

You should see some of my later ones. One, for Geography if memory serves, said
"His work this term has been consistent: and bad".
Posted By: dingle Re: Well Lane Primary School - 24th Apr 2012 2:47am
So you are infallible clap think
Posted By: chriskay Re: Well Lane Primary School - 24th Apr 2012 7:35am
Originally Posted by mindplayer
So you are infallible clap think

I think you mean fallible. wink
Posted By: spanner82 Re: Well Lane Primary School - 24th Apr 2012 7:49am
I went to reception in 1986 and was new building then, my brothers who were bit older than me went to old and new, building so im guessing early 80s it got rebuilt. FB well group got some old pictures.
Posted By: Madrigal63 Re: Well Lane Primary School - 30th Nov 2019 2:35pm
Hi,
I went to well lane in the late 60's and early 70's with my brother Philip. My brother passed away and I have been looking for old photos of the school we went to. I am unable to download your photos. Is there another way I could view them? I am on fb as [email protected]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral