Forums
Posted By: ghostly1 Scouting History on Wirral - 11th Aug 2009 7:28pm
Now I know the Wirral has a lot of history to do with scouting particularily when Baden Powell inaugurated the movement in Birkenhead and the 3rd World Jamboree at Arrowe Park. But how many of you on this forum are ex members of groups that don't exist anymore or are still thriving? Can you tell us a bit about your time involved and where you went camping? I am trying research some history on this subject particularily West Wirral District. I was an ex member of 1st Frankby Greasby and regularily went camping at Tawd Vale and locally at Hadlow Fields only within the last 30 years though. So if you have a story to tell it would be interesting to hear. Thanks!!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Scouting History on Wirral - 11th Aug 2009 7:57pm
I was 2nd Birkenhead - still going strong and is the oldest group in the World, having been founded jointly as the first Scout group in the World. Can't remember where we camped, I think Thornton Hough once. British bulldog - best game in the world - nightmare for the leaders - I believe they have a non-contact version of it now????

After scouts, used to get in to Tranmere Rovers free at 3/4 time with a potato scallop from the chippy if we could find any change on the road as we headed that way.
Posted By: dingle Re: Scouting History on Wirral - 12th Aug 2009 6:56am
I was a member of the 2nd Birkenhead as well. Was pretty good at BB but not much good at knots and all the other scouting stuff......
Posted By: little_pob Re: Scouting History on Wirral - 12th Aug 2009 7:44am
Was a member of 11th Wallasey (now defunct).
Posted By: IanPenny Re: Scouting History on Wirral - 12th Aug 2009 7:52am
I'm currently a leader at the 26th Birkenhead, In my time i was a beaver and cub at 4th Moreton, building used to be at the jct of paulsfield road and upton road. Then scouts at Overcurch Upton (salacre lane)then to 26th Birkenhead
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Scouting History on Wirral - 12th Aug 2009 7:57am
28th Wallasey... Still going strong I believe.

We went camping at Tawd Vale, Bispham Hall (chariot race anyone?), Kibblestone, Isle of Man... er and loads others I can't remember. The JA competition which was held quite local iirc...

The 15th Wallasey (I'm 99% sure it was the 15th) merged with the 28th about 20 years ago...
Posted By: mrallen Re: Scouting History on Wirral - 12th Aug 2009 9:50am
I have a photo of my grandfather in his scouting days. It says 1st Birkenhead scout group on the back, the group no longer exists but was the first scout group ever formed in the world. This photo was probably taken about 1918.

Attached picture PHOTO41.JPG
Posted By: IanPenny Re: Scouting History on Wirral - 12th Aug 2009 9:52am
The 1st Birkenhead was re started in 2007 as part of the Birkenhead District's celebration of 100 years of scouting.
Posted By: masterbun Re: Scouting History on Wirral - 18th Oct 2009 5:06pm
Does anyone recall a jamboree being held in Arrowe Park in the late 50's ? I think it was a Commonwealth one. Definitely after the 1955 Sutton Park Jamboree.
Posted By: Mark Re: Scouting History on Wirral - 18th Oct 2009 6:37pm
Click Me

smile
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Scouting History on Wirral - 19th Oct 2009 8:15pm
I was in the 8th Bebington cubs and scouts during the early to mid 80's.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral