Forums
Posted By: phalinmegob magazine brow wallasey - 15th May 2009 9:32pm
hi all ,was delivering to house in said road this morning,never been down that area before and a few thing that i noticed puzzled me,enlightenment is required 1..a cottage called fort cottage(1841) is opposite what looks like the remains of a fort..was there a fort of some description there...2. slightly further down the road a small but interesting steps built into the front garden wall of a house.anyone seen these,what did they lead into,they are very well worn....3..the house i was delivering to had a feature window with a large picture of a church in the glass but i did not recognise the church..any relavance to a church near there or not..maybe the homeowner just liked the glass,it is new glass not old...didnt have time to have a proper nosey around just curious.sorry about the long post!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: magazine brow wallasey - 15th May 2009 9:35pm
The `fort` you mention is the battery smile

Someone lob a link up as i don`t know where to look confused
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: magazine brow wallasey - 15th May 2009 9:36pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liscard_Battery
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: magazine brow wallasey - 15th May 2009 10:00pm
nice one ste ,learn something new every day lol
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: magazine brow wallasey - 16th May 2009 1:39pm
phalinmegob

Here is some info & photos on the Liscard Battery. Clicky

and here is some info on the surrounding houses Clicky

Frick
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: magazine brow wallasey - 16th May 2009 3:02pm
you have a fantastic site there, thanks a lot
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: magazine brow wallasey - 16th May 2009 5:16pm
V. Interesting. Knew nothing about this
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: magazine brow wallasey - 31st Jul 2009 11:27pm
Here are some markings on part of Liscard Battery

Bottom right is probably an Ordnance Survey Benchmark, in the middle is a "crows foot" with WD either side which I presume is War Department which predated the Ministry of Defence (MOD)

Attached picture IMG_2281-s.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: magazine brow wallasey - 1st Aug 2009 6:13am
The crows foot DD refers to is the British war department acceptance mark also known as the Finished view mark. Before 1855 it was the broad upward arrow, after 1855 it was WD with arrow.
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: magazine brow wallasey - 1st Aug 2009 10:31am
Good find DD,the amount of times I`ve walked past that and not noticed that mark.I`ve even worked next to it,and nice piece of info that Bert. happy
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: magazine brow wallasey - 3rd Aug 2009 12:44am
Some more markings on Liscard Battery ...

Attached picture IMG_2285-s.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2283-s.jpg

Description: This is a Bench Mark Flush Bracket, OS = Ordnance Survey, BM = Bench Mark, S0257 is serial number to identify it.
Attached picture IMG_2284-s.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: magazine brow wallasey - 3rd Aug 2009 3:02pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Here are some markings on part of Liscard Battery

Bottom right is probably an Ordnance Survey Benchmark, in the middle is a "crows foot" with WD either side which I presume is War Department which predated the Ministry of Defence (MOD)

The top line of letters looks as if it should mean "High Water Mark". The "T" might stand for Tides, but is there another letter before that. What do you think?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral