Forums
Does anyone have photos of the old Coop premises (Transport Depot) in Cleveland Street?
Click Here
Hi BMW Joe,
Thanks for the photos, they're very good. I need to ask a question though. The photos are for someone else who referred to the place as the Coop Transport Depot. Was there any such place or has he just mixed Coop with Corp?
Again, many thanks.
I've never heard of a place called the coop transport depot, and I'm not sure such place existed or exists.

I think he may have just got coop mixed up with corp as this is the only transport depot on Cleaveland Street.
Originally Posted by greasby_lad
Hi BMW Joe,
Thanks for the photos, they're very good. I need to ask a question though. The photos are for someone else who referred to the place as the Coop Transport Depot. Was there any such place or has he just mixed Coop with Corp?
Again, many thanks.

The coop place was Duke st end opposite old bidston rd.
Go to history information ( what was demolished here )
There was a Co-Op Depot, It was a Dairy, My Dad was a Milkman and worked out of there. It was demolished not too long ago frown
I loved that building with the curvy roof.
It closed down in the late 90's after the milkrounds being franchised out and being taken over by Express Dairy. They moved the Diary up to Greasby.
Originally Posted by cherrypie
There was a Co-Op Depot, It was a Dairy, My Dad was a Milkman and worked out of there. It was demolished not too long ago frown
I loved that building with the curvy roof.
It closed down in the late 90's after the milkrounds being franchised out and being taken over by Express Dairy. They moved the Diary up to Greasby.

See this link from 20/02/09 in t'echo !!!
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...o-op-building-collapses-100252-22971593/

Had been closed for many years after abortive attempts by small businesses to take over portions of it...

Thanks guys, so there was a Co-op Dairy/Depot there.
Any idea if photos exist?
I lived opposite the Corpy Depot, on the corner. The nearest Co-op depot was the bakery on Price Street/Cathcart Street, but is was horses and carts and there was a big stable setup there too. The lads used to "jock" a ride as the horses were galloping home down Price Street from Duke Street. I think one poor kid even got killed when he fell off and went under the wheels, that would have been just after the war. It might have just been a story put around to stop us doing it. Those horses couln't half shift as they knew they were going back for the nose bag and a kip.
The lad lost his legs his name was Tommy,He was a little stocky lad wih a mop of black curly hair from backo or pason street. It never put us off the bread was the tops
bandycoot did we live in the same house Do you now live by the slea
Bugger, been rumbled.
Memory flash. Up the top end of Cleveland Street, towards Duke Street and past the North Star and Manweb yard there was a big depot where the Co-op coal lorries used to be depoted, possibly other Co-op transport as well.
Remembered when thinking of something else, weird.
I think someone (poss hoseman) said at one time the roof of this was the biggest of its kind in UK or Europe?
Yep I can see that. It was built on a site that used to be called "Pat's Field" I think. It was a scrap yard type place and we used to go there collecting slummy to take to the bally's. Using the old words we used to use, I'm getting a kick out this. Pat's field used to go all the way back to Corporation Road I think.
here are some pics of old Co-op vehicles

Description: 1924 delivery to No10 period of 1st Labour Government
Attached picture 1924 delivery to No10 period of 1st Labour Government.jpg

Description: 1950 mobile shop
Attached picture 1950 mobile shop.jpg

Description: Co ops own railwaywagons
Attached picture Co ops own railwaywagons.jpg

Description: dairy handcarts about to set out on daily rounds
Attached picture dairy handcarts about to set out on daily rounds.jpg

Description: delivery van
Attached picture delivery van.jpg

Description: delivery vehicle 1930
Attached picture delivery vehicle 1930.jpg
more pics

Description: electric vehicle
Attached picture electric vehicle.jpg

Description: horse drawn delivery van
Attached picture horse drawn delivery van.jpg

Description: lorry loaded with flour
Attached picture lorry loaded with flour.jpg

Description: postcard cover
Attached picture postcard cover.jpg

Description: steam lorry
Attached picture steam lorry.jpg

Description: truck before pneumatic tyres
Attached picture truck before pneumatic tyres.jpg
Posted By: buddy Re: Coop premises (Transport Depot) Cleveland Street - 26th Aug 2009 12:39pm
Very interesting derekdwc - thanks
Derekdwc, those pics a just great.
Woke up in the middle of the night, it's getting bad. Livingstone street up towards Duke St and there was a shop on the corner. Then there was a couple of houses and a wood yard, not as big as the Marchbanks one on Price Street. There were a few more houses and then a Birkenhead Corporation Depot, another one, I can remember pig swill wagons going in there and there was a big chimney stack at the far end. The wagons used to go up a long ramp to do whatever they did up there. I think it was then the North Star and some big houses the rest of the way up. I left B'head when I was 15 so trying to think back 50 odd years, it's difficult but it is certainly exercising my mind, obviously.
When I lived in the avenues our next door neighbour used to work at that co-op depot. He used to look after the horses that were kept there up until the 50s. The horse used to pull the bread vans and milk carts.
The North Star was my haunt after work at Odyssey Works.
Posted By: oggie Re: Coop premises (Transport Depot) Cleveland Street - 22nd Jul 2010 11:55pm
There was a Co-op depot right opposite Old Bidston Rd,Maddock st ran down the side of it.If you look at the ariel pics on google maps the building with roof is still there,if you go on street view it's just a very big concrete yard.It is listed/signed as Reynolds timber yard on the Ariel view.

I know it was there for sure because my Dad used to drive a truck out of there and supply various Co-op shops in Cheshire,my brother and I spent many days of our schools hols with him in the '70's.

Chris.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral