Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Woodchurch Rd. Old Street Lamps. - 25th Apr 2009 8:36am
A real shot in the dark here... Has anyone out there any old photo's of Woodchurch Road pre-early 1950's ?? The section I'm interested in is between the Storeton Road lights and the railway bridge, just before the M.53.

I'm trying to get a reasonable image of the old gas street lamps/columns that were in place prior to the mercury vapour lamps. These too have now long gone.

These were the full height columns, not the more usual side road variety that lasted until the '60's/'70's. They had much decorative scrollwork supporting the side arm and had "Sugg" top entry lanterns with 6 or 8 mantles inside.

I know this is a longshot, but maybe someone has a shot of a house/shop/car etc. with a lamp lurking in the background ?

There is a Francis Frith postcard showing the Woodchurch Rd shops in Prenton. This shows a tiny part of one of the lamps, but that's all. Grrrrrrr..

As an aside, the mercury lamps were the ones that when you stood under them at night, you looked as if you had some hideous skin disease ! Your skin colour was varying shades of purple.

Any help would be appreciated. I won't be holding my breath on this one though !!

Ta muchly.

Posted By: bert1 Re: Woodchurch Rd. Old Street Lamps. - 25th Apr 2009 9:36am
Look in Old wirral garages thread, (Hughes and Watts) woodchurch rd, photo.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Woodchurch Rd. Old Street Lamps. - 25th Apr 2009 9:53am

Not very good I'm afraid, these are both from 1931

Attached picture woodchurchrd1.jpg
Attached picture woodchurchrd1a.jpg
Attached picture woodchurchrd2.jpg
Attached picture woodchurchrd2a.jpg
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Woodchurch Rd. Old Street Lamps. - 25th Apr 2009 10:00am
wow they look great. We should install them instead of todays horrible concrete monstrosities
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodchurch Rd. Old Street Lamps. - 25th Apr 2009 12:30pm
Many thanks indeed upton cx. Spot on ! You can just make out the scroll work in the last pic. Swan Hill ?

I remember they piled all the old lamps on the (then) vacant ground opposite. Should have grabbed a couple !

The circular casting just above the lantern is the housing for a Horstmann 7-day clockwork timeswitch. A guy came round once a week to wind it, alter the on/off arms and renew any duff mantles.

Great pics. Can you say where they are from uptoncx ?

Many thanks.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodchurch Rd. Old Street Lamps. - 25th Apr 2009 12:34pm
bert1. Found the Hughes & Watts pics in the Old Garages postings, but couldn't see any lamps - other than the garage's ones on the canopy. Maybe a different pic. ?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Woodchurch Rd. Old Street Lamps. - 25th Apr 2009 1:03pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
bert1. Found the Hughes & Watts pics in the Old Garages postings, but couldn't see any lamps - other than the garage's ones on the canopy. Maybe a different pic. ?

sorry, wrong pic and title.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Woodchurch Rd. Old Street Lamps. - 25th Apr 2009 3:35pm
Those houses are still there on Woodchurch road. They are the ones on the end right next to the Swan Pub. The empty ground your talking about Pinzgauer, must have been the flats opposute (swan court). Must have looked much nice in them days without all those dodgy 70s houses.

Intesrestingly "The Swan" takes its name from Hugh Swan. From 1864 to 1868 a man named Hugh Swan was running a beerhouse in Holm Lane. After his death his widow Betsy, took charge in 1871 and into the 1880s.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodchurch Rd. Old Street Lamps. - 25th Apr 2009 5:36pm
Yes, Dr.F. It was just open rough grassland until late'60's/'70's (??) when they built the flats. Recall my parents going round them when first built with a view to buying. Decided against it thankfully.

Was puzzling over what the " EEN" was on the fence. Penny just dropped whilst talking to Cris Kay - "BOWLING GREEN" of the Swan Hotel !

Interesting bit of history on why the Swan was named. Thanks.

The end house on the RH side, in the far distance, was were I went to Sunday School. It was run by an elderly Mrs Brown. Walking home down the hill with others, the chant was "Mrs Brown went to town with her knickers upside down" !!! Pretty dodgy stuff those days AND on the Sabbath too - disgusting !

I digress.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral