Forums
Posted By: Angela Sally's cottage - 21st Mar 2009 2:13pm
Does anyone know anything about the history of Sally's cottage on Thurstaston beach? I was down there yesterday and took some photos.I've tried googling the cottage and have found mention of it but no actual information.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Sally's cottage - 21st Mar 2009 2:51pm
Is it the one on the front ? Used to be called shore cottage ?
Posted By: Angela Re: Sally's cottage - 21st Mar 2009 4:34pm
Yes, that's the one
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Sally's cottage - 21st Mar 2009 4:34pm
I wonder how the people who live there do their shopping
There appears to be no roads to it
Buy £25 pounds of food from Iceland and get it delivered free?
Posted By: Angela Re: Sally's cottage - 21st Mar 2009 4:37pm
Is it still lived in?
Posted By: angie Re: Sally's cottage - 21st Mar 2009 5:01pm
are you going to post the photos please.
Posted By: Angela Re: Sally's cottage - 21st Mar 2009 6:16pm
Sorry, Angie, I should have said that I have posted the photos in the Wirral photos section
Posted By: Wench Re: Sally's cottage - 21st Mar 2009 6:16pm
Here you go Angie happy

Click here
Posted By: angie Re: Sally's cottage - 21st Mar 2009 6:34pm
Thanks
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Sally's cottage - 21st Mar 2009 6:42pm
Its part of the old Dawpool Village settlement. I did have a webpage on it, but it appears to have been wiped.. Stupid Internet !

I had a few photos of it, and floor plans and records of the numerous occasions its been flooded and battered.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Sally's cottage - 21st Mar 2009 6:45pm
DAWPOOL INFO:

"Although Ismays old manor house is now gone, still standing in the village is the original building of Dawpool Primary School, now a private house. Also within the old village is the historical building of Shore Cottage. The Old cottage is in a remarkable location on the shoreline at Thurstaston, just above the waterline looking out across the Dee. Other buildings of interest within the village include the Clock Tower built by Ismay and Dawpool house both of which are several hundred years old and built from the same fine red sand stone of Thurstaston Hall. There also used to be an old sandstone archway leading to the old quay at the waters edge. These features have been recorded by several authors"
Posted By: Bandageman Re: Sally's cottage - 21st Mar 2009 7:26pm
The history of Shore Cottage or Sally's Cottage. In the 18th century it was owned by a customs officer
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Sally's cottage - 24th Mar 2009 2:06am
These were also known as "Dawpool Cottages" unfortunately this name was also used (and still is) for cottages further up the hill on the private road off Telegraph Road.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral