Forums
Posted By: derekdwc what are the holes in dock walls for - 12th Mar 2009 4:16pm
Are the to keep the water at the same level between the different docks

Attached picture holes in dock walls.jpg
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 12th Mar 2009 9:39pm
To let the water though and i think maybe a over flow for the LOCK system they've got wink
Posted By: derekdwc Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 12th Mar 2009 11:29pm
talking to an ex docker he reckoned that when a large ship came in the water it displaced was pushed into them
He said also if anyone fell in the water - drowned?
the first place they searched for a body was in them
Posted By: Anonymous Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 30th Mar 2009 9:53pm
I look at those "holes" everyday as I work in the building opposite -"Egerton House".
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 30th Mar 2009 9:57pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
I look at those "holes" everyday as I work in the building opposite -"Egerton House".

oh yeah?

keep an eye on your new security guard, he won`t last long wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 30th Mar 2009 10:02pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

oh yeah?

keep an eye on your new security guard, he won`t last long wink

Didn't know we had one!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 30th Mar 2009 10:44pm
hmmm, interesting, i will pm you think
Posted By: MissGuided Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 30th Mar 2009 10:44pm
Stop daydreaming and do some work!!!
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 31st Mar 2009 3:54pm
Im sure there for Water Displacement.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 31st Mar 2009 4:50pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
hmmm, interesting, i will pm you think

All sorted now. Apparently, there are CPO Security people but being dim witted I never noticed them

To make matters worse, I've just changed floors and, as from Thursday, will only be a few doors down from their office on the 1st Floor.

Strange world.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 31st Mar 2009 4:51pm
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Stop daydreaming and do some work!!!

Lowering the tone...again!!

A disgrace!! lol
Posted By: MissGuided Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 31st Mar 2009 5:53pm
I didn't even mean it in s gutter way Paul - I'm so misunderstood cry
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 31st Mar 2009 7:26pm
offtopic laugh Cant I Talk raftl
Posted By: SoundLad Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 31st Mar 2009 9:47pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
talking to an ex docker he reckoned that when a large ship came in the water it displaced was pushed into them
He said also if anyone fell in the water - drowned?
the first place they searched for a body was in them

There was a dock next door to Egreton dock so when a ship did enter egreton theres yer answer smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 29th May 2009 9:13pm
After a bit of research - why are some quay walls made of arches?

When the ground is soft, piles have to be driven in and then these are bridged using arches, sometimes they are subsequently filled in, sometimes they are not.

The Egerton Dock arches do have back walls and in the roof have a hole. The dock wall has a number of manhole covers and two larger plates (which are above the two arched section), indicating it is quite likely hollow. Pure speculation but the roof holes may just be to reduce the slap/splashback effect of waves in the confined environment.

Description: Egerton Dock, Birkenhead
Attached picture IMG_1007m.jpg

Description: Egerton Dock, Birkenhead
Attached picture IMG_1011s.JPG
Posted By: derekdwc Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 31st May 2009 6:02pm
did you take the 2nd pic

Were you in a boat
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 31st May 2009 6:13pm
did you take the 2nd pic

Were you in a boat
Nah - I was going to edit the picture to make it look like that. The dock wall on the left is a walkable gradient so I just walked down it. I am in the process of making a long pole for my camera to be able to lower or raise it over/down walls etc, so might do some more pix in a couple of weeks.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 31st May 2009 6:32pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
did you take the 2nd pic

Were you in a boat
Nah - I was going to edit the picture to make it look like that. The dock wall on the left is a walkable gradient so I just walked down it. I am in the process of making a long pole for my camera to be able to lower or raise it over/down walls etc, so might do some more pix in a couple of weeks.
can we have pix of 'camera on a pole?' im intrigued. How u gonna take the pix-another pole?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 31st May 2009 7:15pm
long pole

try one of those window washing poles that you reach upstairs windows with
They come in 2ft/2ft 6ins pieces that you just into each other to get the length you want
I presume you take the photos with the timer on
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 31st May 2009 7:25pm
I've got one of those brush poles Derek, they are very good, but I don't know if I would trust my camera on one hanging upside down.

I've got an old tripod which is useless because its not very stable, I am hoping to adapt the 3 legs into one long telescopic leg. If not then the wash pole is a pretty cheap solution.

And yes, put the camera on a timer delay, or tape the button down and put it on continuous shot mode.
Posted By: Brocks Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 1st Jun 2009 9:30am
Can you not put a remote shutter release on the camera? What sort of camera is it?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: what are the holes in dock walls for - 4th Jun 2009 7:33pm
Originally Posted by Brocks
Can you not put a remote shutter release on the camera? What sort of camera is it?
No need, the other two methods cost nothing and work well. I have even thrown a camera up in the air in continuous shot mode to see over a wall, that was in the middle of some bad weather and just happened to be at the place when there was no rain.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral