Forums
Posted By: dingle Borough Rd Tunnel - 28th Feb 2009 12:39am
I have a bit of a problem. So I will start at the start: I was born in 12 Dingle Rd which runs parralel to Borough Rd opposite Christ Church Claughton Primary School. Number 14 was attached to our house and next to number 14 was a vacant block of land. This block was directly opposite Beech Rd were it met Dingle Rd like a T intersection. From a very early age I can remember that the kerb and guttering at the front on Dingle Rd curved into this block(we will call number 16) just like a normal road would. So while I was perusing some old maps(forgotten which) I noticed that on one of them it had "Tunnel" just were number 16 was(there is a house there now). So I presumed that the tunnel went as the extention of Beech Rd to join Borough Rd about where Brattan Rd meets Borough Rd now. So I just thought if anybody was looking at old maps maybe they could keep an eye open for Tunnels like this one. I will keep looking and get back when I find anything.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 28th Feb 2009 12:40am
got a map of it mate?
Posted By: dingle Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 28th Feb 2009 1:08am
There are some very interesting shapes on the 1910 Tithe map at this address.
http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/TwinMaps.aspx?township=EDT_404-2
Posted By: dingle Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 28th Feb 2009 1:12am
I am really baffled by this at this address it shows a "dotted Line" running down Beech Rd through number 16 and out into Borough Rd.

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/TwinMaps.aspx?township=EDT_404-2
Posted By: dingle Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 28th Feb 2009 1:14am
No, I am busily checking all my map links for it.
Posted By: dingle Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 28th Feb 2009 6:14am
OK you can all relax I found a map http://www.british-history.ac.uk/ma...6&zm=1&czm=1&x=283&y=308 that shows UND with some lines and an arrow. So there was definately some sort of tunnel from the intersection of Beech and Dingle Rd. The question now is "Why in around 1876 would they dig a tunnel, to a road that was barely a line on a map". With all the knowledge we have on this site, please help me sort it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 28th Feb 2009 8:52am
Und - Short for "Undefined". Relates to an undefined boundary. Maybe in this case a Ward boundary. I've seen this before on large scale maps. I'm assuming that this is the same.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 28th Feb 2009 9:15am
This is a handy site and will explain "Und"

http:/www.promap.co.uk/promap/historical_legends.jsp

Click on "National Grid 1:2,500 scale".

Page 2 of the pdf doc "Examples of Boundary Mereings" tells it all

Hope this helps.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 28th Feb 2009 9:29am
I always knew that und. meand undefined on a map, but i think it also relates to roads. I have a layby opposite my house that goes onto wasteground, never built on since the road (cul-de-sac) was constructed. I have the deeds for the house and maps of my surrounding area dating back to about 1900. On the plan for my road, the layby is marked as undefined, but also "never to be built on"!
Originally, i think the plan was to construct another road the same running parallel to mine and this was to be a joining road! never done, "new" road was left as allotments then nursing home built! Layby and wasteland stil cant be bult on tho!!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 28th Feb 2009 11:16am
Thanks for that link, Pinz.
Here's a map from 1912/13 which shows the area. the Ward boundary runs down the middle of Beech Rd. then continues in an undefined, but nominally straight, line to a defined point in Borough Rd.
The map shows the curve of the kerb that mindplayer mentioned, so it looks as if the intention was to continue Beech Rd. down to Borough Rd. A problem with this is that on that line it was either very steep, or there was a quarry there (where the petrol station is now). It would be interesting if mindplayer can find the map which shows the tunnel.
Incidentally, the word "mereing" is just a technical term for surveying.

Attached picture Dingle Rd.jpg
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 28th Feb 2009 1:19pm
TUNNELS yerr

Posted By: dingle Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 1st Mar 2009 9:08am
Und short for undefined boundary. Thanks Pinz. Anyway I am still looking. But something interesting Chris said about Quarries?? If were the servo is, was a quarry it may explain why a tunnel was needed. Because to get up to Dingle, Beech and Milton it was very steep. Mmmm, just another puzzle. Anybody know how I go about finding quarries???
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 1st Mar 2009 10:07am
I'm pretty sure that it was a quarry (Petrol Station Site). Moons ago part or all of it was a scrap yard. The back wall had been quarried away.

I would have thought they would have accessed the quarry direct from Borough Road ? Can't really see the need to bore a tunnel there.

On a slightly different tack .... think of the quarry before the scrapyard/petrol station. Sharply rising ground behind, solid sandstone, deep cover, Tranmere, Bidston, wartime ??? Surely not ????
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 1st Mar 2009 10:56am
Thats correct pinzgauer the garage did have a scrap yard attached to it and when i think back the back wall of the scrap yard was a cliff /quarry type wall .Not been up that way for a while but strangely i am going up that way tomorrow so i will try to get a look at what it is now,there was a fire a couple of years ago at the scrap yard so i am not too sure if its still a scrap yard
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 1st Mar 2009 11:02am
Good man jonno.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 1st Mar 2009 11:12am
i know who owns the scrappy i might go and have a look for any clues
Posted By: yoller Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 1st Mar 2009 10:58pm
In his book Sidelights on Tranmere, J E Allison mentions that this area near Victoria Road was the site of a sandstone outcrop. The 'Happy Valley' stream (which ran along what is now Borough Road) flowed fast over this outcrop on its way down to Tranmere Pool and this may have been the location of the water mill used by the monks from Birkenhead Priory in medieval times. Nearby fields were named Dam Heys, indicating the stream might have been dammed at this point to provide power for the mill. Could this sandstone outcrop be the cliff-like wall that backs on to the scrapyard? It may have been quarried in later times, or possibly cut away when Borough Road was being laid out in the 19th century.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 2nd Mar 2009 11:37am
Good point yoller. I don't think it would have been cut back so far just for construction of Borough Road. More likely a quarry in its own rights. I'll have to dig that book out for a re-read !!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 2nd Mar 2009 2:21pm
Thanks, Yoller. Here's a copy of the tithe map showing the "Dam" fields. Also, a map from about 1875, which shows why there's a funny bulge in the line of the Ward boundary; it's because it follows the wall of Ashfield House.
I think I agree with Pinz that they wouldn't have cut back the sandstone that far just for Borough Rd. I think it's been quarried, but I haven't yet found a map which shows a quarry there.
Cheers, Chris.

Attached picture Dingle Rd.jpg
Attached picture Tithe map.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 2nd Mar 2009 4:56pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Good point yoller. I don't think it would have been cut back so far just for construction of Borough Road. More likely a quarry in its own rights. I'll have to dig that book out for a re-read !!

Is it possible that bit of land was cut back after the construction of Borough Rd, Lets say for example to put a petrol station there, with modern day equipment that would be easy to do, Does anybody remember what was there before the petrol station. Also has anyone done a thread on the area further down Borough Rd where there is a road actually called Quarry Bank.
Posted By: yoller Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 2nd Mar 2009 5:55pm
Thanks for your replies. Looking at the maps, I'd agree that the sandstone outcrop has almost certainly been deliberately quarried. There would have been no need to cut it back just to build Borough Road. Is it possible that, because it was an outcrop and easily accessible, when they were building Borough Road the council also took the opportunity to get itself a few thousand tons of valuable sandstone which could be sold on to defray the cost of the road construction? Or could the sandstone have been used in some way to help build the road? As for Quarry Bank, that area drops away relatively steeply towards Borough Road and it's probable it was also an easily accessible area for sandstone and was quarried at some time.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 2nd Mar 2009 9:31pm
Lads that scrap yard your goingon about next to the petrol station. i can tell you that in 1954 the yard {which is now a scrap yard was owned by my uncle and his mate who had the chip&fish shop next door to Charlie Frost the barber on Borough Road. there was NO Mistery about the yard. they had there cars garaged in that yard. the back wall of the yard was in places sandtone cut face and other area's was back fill with rubble so that the houses in Dingle Road did not end up the back yards of the line of terraced houses on Borough Road.
If you want to KNOW WHERE ALL THE QUARRIES WHERE THEN GO AND READ THE BOOK HIGHLITES OF TRANMERE, IT LISTS ALL THE QUARRIES.
dont forget that area of the town is TRANMERE
Posted By: kimpri Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 2nd Mar 2009 10:31pm
what was your uncles and his mates name jimbob might have know them.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 2nd Mar 2009 11:28pm
The book "Sidelights on Tranmere" mentioned by Jimbob does mention, on page 10, that there were seven quarries in Tranmere, with specific mention of the one on Quarry Bank. This must have been an early one, since it's not shown on this map of about 1875.

Attached picture Quarry Bank.jpg
Posted By: dingle Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 14th Mar 2009 12:24am
One interesting thing about that area is that there is only one access to the Tranmere Park area according to Chris's map which I think is the 1875 one is via Victoria Rd. Now I do know that Victoria Rd at Borough Rd was very steep and you only need to check the BM heights to see how far above Borough Rd that Dingle Rd was, Larch Rd at the eastern end of Dingle was not there in 1875. So access especially for freight would have been very difficult. So it would seem logical to move freight etc from Borough Rd(Happy valley) the only way would have been via a less steep tunnel at the lowest and easiest access point which happened to be Beech Rd T with Dingle.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 14th Mar 2009 9:48am
Just to clarify mindplayer's comment there, there was only one point of access to the Tranmere Park area FROM Borough Road, but at that time Borough Road had/was only just built, whilst we think of it a main artery of Birkenhead, it wasn't just before that time. There were three further access points to Tranmere Park from Derby Road which is a much older road.

Tranmere had built up from the river side of the ridge and was now crawling down the inland side. Likewise Oxton and Claughton were growing rapidly, but inbetween these they managed to build Borough Road almost unimpeded(spell?) as there were very few houses in that vicinity.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 14th Mar 2009 3:37pm
With reference to Mindplayer's point about benchmarks, here's another copy of the map showing them. The height difference between Dingle & Borough roads is about 17-20 feet & a tunnel from Dingle to Borough would not have been less steep than the climb up Victoria Rd.
Incidentally, this map has another interesting feature: see the thread "Abandoned Train Station @ Singleton Ave."

Cheers, Chris.

Attached picture Benchmarks.jpg
Posted By: dingle Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 16th Mar 2009 7:58am
The entrance to the yard was via an alley off the bottom of Larch Rd, on the Northern side on the eastern side was houses with some hilly areas. No. 10 Dingle Rd was lower and about same level, my place was a lot higher. On the western side(Borough Rd)were more houses(gone now I think). The southern side was where the Servo is with just some old fence dividing them. Joe's Scrapyard had been there as long as like forever.
Posted By: dingle Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 16th Mar 2009 8:06am
The point I was trying to make was the only access from Borough Rd apart from Victoria, and that if there was a quarry were the servo is it would have made sense that a tunnel be dug for ease of access. Plus with horse power they would have had a good length to pull up Beech Rd. I am pretty sure the map I saw was earlier than 1875 but after the Tithe maps. Maybe about 186????
Still looking. If anybody has any maps between 1850 and 1875 please have a look for me. Because this is doing my head in.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 16th Mar 2009 9:27am
Did anyone actually go round to the scrap yard and have a sniff around the back wall/sandstone face ?? Robbo...Jonno.... ??
Posted By: kimpri Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 16th Mar 2009 9:35am
i will go and see jimmy wadi good mate of mine to ask him i played in that yard many moons ago can't remember any tunnel tho.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Borough Rd Tunnel - 16th Mar 2009 9:45am
Thanks kimpri1. Much appreciated.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral