Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Moreton - 24th Feb 2009 12:07am
Anybody got pics/ memories from 70s 80s? Particularly the 'new' estate behind the library?
Posted By: Robert Re: Moreton - 7th Jun 2009 9:49pm
I remember there being a couple of fires in 2 of those. houses in the early 80s. When my mum used to take me to the nursey at East Way school. The houses where boarded up for a while too.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Moreton - 18th Apr 2010 10:18am
Some info on Mike Kemble's site of the youth club next to the library:

http://www.mikekemble.com/mside/moretonyc.html
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Moreton - 18th Apr 2010 11:12am
Originally Posted by Neil_c
Some info on Mike Kemble's site of the youth club next to the library:

http://www.mikekemble.com/mside/moretonyc.html
thanks for the link mate some nice pics on there thumbsup
Posted By: hoseman Re: Moreton - 18th Apr 2010 12:06pm
i remember the youth club, used to hang around there in the mid to late 70`s early 80`s. Lived in Moreton most of my life and great memories of the area, Lingam, Bermuda Rd, Saughall Massie, Fender.
Does anyone remember "The old house" which stood on the site of Iceland carpark?
Used to love playing in there. Ive heared to it being called the "clock house" but not sure. I lived in Borrowdale Rd before the new houses where built. It was just big fields at the back of Iceland, even a couple of horses on there.
Our back garden gate opened onto the field and you could go "cross country" to the old house.
Remember the lath and plaster walls inside, even had an old range stove in there. Completely unsafe but great for fearless (braindead!!) kids like us!!!!
Any pics or history on this place??
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Moreton - 18th Apr 2010 12:19pm
I've got some pics in an old Wallasey CBC book of the lane that used to be at the back of the library. I'll try to scan them for you later, assuming I can get my old scanner working with 64 bit Windows 7.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Moreton - 18th Apr 2010 12:29pm
It wasnt there mate, it is next to Borrowdale rd, in the carpark of Iceland on Hoylake rd!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Moreton - 18th Apr 2010 1:48pm
Did you ever go the youth club? Tues+ thurs i think? There was a junior session and then the 'seniors' . Lol.
Posted By: Abbot Re: Moreton - 18th Apr 2010 4:02pm
Anyone remember the snooker club and footy pitch on Upton road?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Moreton - 18th Apr 2010 4:24pm
If it is Noreton Football Club you're talking about
I've played footie there - they used to be in the West Cheshire league
Loved going there on Thursday nights to see the Hillsiders
Used to have some good turns on there who warmed up before they went on to Hamilton club by Birkenhead Market
I think complaints by neighbours over late night noise helped close it down

Anyone remember the Hague club in Hague ave
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Moreton - 18th Apr 2010 8:22pm
The football club was called the Arrowebrook? I think. Where Fulford park is now.

You can see it at http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps. Postcode: ch46 0tp.
Click on the 70's maps

We used to play there when we were kids. The owner was forever coming over and telling us not to swing of the goal posts. Must have got a fair wedge off the land when he sold it to the developer. Houses are built like crap though, chipboard floors, holes everywhere and the cheapeast heating that money can buy.
Posted By: Abbot Re: Moreton - 18th Apr 2010 11:48pm
Thats the place Neil, i used to play there too when i was a kid. I think the owner was called Don and i remember him being constantly annoyed by kids.
I remember being caught on top of his snooker club roof - he wasnt impressed
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Moreton - 19th Apr 2010 5:34pm
I too myself was caught on the same roof. He also had a prefab shed on the side that we used to rumage through. There was a fair amount of land on the side between the pitch as the Whitmore estate (pembroke ave, grampian way, croft drive) that we used to play in.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral