Forums
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL st marys church eastham - 20th Feb 2009 9:10pm
anyone know anything about this place and any tunnels below it sorting out pixs!
Posted By: pacef8 Re: st marys church eastham - 20th Feb 2009 9:48pm
its older than st barnabus in bromborough and is in the book of doom.

the glyder club over the road has a water well.

thats pretty much my knowledge.......sorry
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: st marys church eastham - 20th Feb 2009 9:53pm
water well where is it?
Posted By: pacef8 Re: st marys church eastham - 21st Feb 2009 1:19pm
at the glyder club over the road.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: st marys church eastham - 21st Feb 2009 2:00pm
did not know kid!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: st marys church eastham - 23rd Feb 2009 8:22pm
Tunnel?

Description: the grid on the wall
Attached picture a hole 2.JPG

Description: close up
Attached picture a hole.JPG
Posted By: uggla Re: st marys church eastham - 23rd Feb 2009 8:34pm
wow love to have a look in there.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: st marys church eastham - 23rd Feb 2009 8:51pm
yerr so would i?
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: st marys church eastham - 23rd Feb 2009 9:39pm
looks like something has been blocked up?

Description: what is this?
Attached picture a hole 3.JPG
Posted By: Brocks Re: st marys church eastham - 23rd Feb 2009 9:46pm
I used to work in the stanley across the road. Apparently there used to be a tunnel from the church to the pub as some sort of escape route for monks.

I learnt this when I was cashing up and I saw a hoodie come out of the cellar and go out the back, I legged after him/her and into a dead end....There was no escape and no Hoodie!

Turns out there's meant to be a ghost of a monk in the pub....I left soon after to start a full time job seeyu
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: st marys church eastham - 23rd Feb 2009 9:52pm
wow how cool mate!
Posted By: Brocks Re: st marys church eastham - 23rd Feb 2009 9:57pm
Wasn't at the time!

If you stand out side the Stanley, There are three cellars, one next to the car park, one under the central block and one one the right side. The central Cellar was not accessible. It was bricked up. I gather that is were the tunnel came out. (almost under the front door.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: st marys church eastham - 23rd Feb 2009 10:04pm
Nice info mate!
Posted By: sonyj Re: st marys church eastham - 23rd Feb 2009 10:49pm
I did the roof on this church many years ago.. i can remember the tree by the gate a yew the oldest in the UK..
Posted By: MissGuided Re: st marys church eastham - 23rd Feb 2009 10:57pm
Originally Posted by sonyj
I did the roof on this church many years ago.. i can remember the tree by the gate a yew the oldest in the UK..
By 'did the roof' do you mean you made off with the lead flashing? smile
Posted By: sonyj Re: st marys church eastham - 23rd Feb 2009 11:00pm
no re-tiled..the lead box gutter was done twice after the first one was stolen.....
Posted By: MissGuided Re: st marys church eastham - 23rd Feb 2009 11:06pm
yeah yeah

I like the look of that covered hole thing - looks very intriguing - probably just a sewer lol
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: st marys church eastham - 24th Feb 2009 6:47pm
too hight for a sewer!
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: st marys church eastham - 24th Feb 2009 8:06pm
lol interesting we will have to look closer me thinks wink
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: st marys church eastham - 24th Feb 2009 8:15pm
you took yer time finding it kid?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: st marys church eastham - 24th Feb 2009 9:09pm
I used to know what those holes were for on churches but brain dead at the moment - guesses would be something to do with heating or something to do with organ, heating being the favourite.

Some churches have a massive cavity wall which is well ventilated to reduce damp, Poulton Hall has a similar arrangement.

Poulton Hall damp proof course (down a couple of screenfulls)
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: st marys church eastham - 24th Feb 2009 9:39pm
mate happy will have to pm you guy!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: st marys church eastham - 27th Apr 2009 8:04pm
Originally Posted by pacef8
its older than st barnabus in bromborough and is in the book of doom.

the glyder club over the road has a water well.

thats pretty much my knowledge.......sorry

what about this water well? how deep mate? and where abouts? and you need to clear your pms kid?
Posted By: Angela44 Re: st marys church eastham - 31st Oct 2011 11:37pm

Hi, new member here! I work in Eastham Hall opposite St Mary's church and was asking about the history of the hall pre renovations and have been trying to find a little about the building. Seems the well you mentioned is situated practically under my desk! I'm trying to attach a pic of the well before it was capped and built over but I'd be delighted to hear if any members have further information relating to the property. I've heard it was an RAF base but what was it before? I've had a look online and it was possibly called Hooton Mount?

Attached picture 400_ft_well_under_my_desk!.jpg
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: st marys church eastham - 1st Nov 2011 12:40am
Great pic queen and welcome to wiki smile
Posted By: Angela44 Re: st marys church eastham - 1st Nov 2011 8:07am
Thanks, there's a few more of the building mid renovation in the late 80's kindly shown to me by our gardener/handyman Steve who's been there over 20 years which I'll try and put up soon. The top floor was an addition but parts of the original staircase remain. Bit worrying having that well so close to where I sit tho! I hope they did a good job capping the thing off!
Posted By: granny Re: st marys church eastham - 7th Nov 2011 11:34am
Hi,
Is it possible the 'tunnel' could be an air vent for the crypt? They were big enough and used by robbers and thieves for hiding in at some time. Also thought this following might be of interest, although a slightly different area, it shows that not all monks were Saints!
Taken from the British History site:

The monks or their tenants were sometimes involved in lawsuits but there is no evidence of serious disorder. (fn. 47) In 1436, however, the priory was the scene of a notorious crime: Isabel, the widow of Sir John Butler of Bewsey (Lancs.), was abducted by William Poole, a member of the Wirral family which supplied stewards for the priory in the 15th and 16th centuries, forcibly married to him in Bidston church, and imprisoned at Birkenhead where she was discovered by Sir Thomas Stanley. (fn. 48) Some fragmentary personal details of the lives of the monks have also survived: two priors were barstard, and one had been a murderer and had undertaken a penitential pilgrimage to Rome before being professed as a monk at Birkenhead.

From: 'Houses of Benedictine monks: The priory of Birkenhead', A History of the County of Chester: Volume 3 (1980), pp. 128-132. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=39974&strquery=birkenhead Date accessed: 07 November 2011.
Posted By: Angela44 Re: st marys church eastham - 23rd Nov 2011 4:14pm
Its possible I suppose, I have been speaking to one of the staff who are archiving in the basement of the building and it appears there are tunnels running under the building in the direction of the church opposite. I dont really know a lot about the histroy of the place, just what I've been told from people who've had an association with the building for years! Interesting stuff indeed
Posted By: Christo Re: st marys church eastham - 25th Nov 2011 9:17pm
Got an old picture of it ("snaffled"!).

Apologies - not sure how to put it up as a normal picture!

Attached picture Eastham St Marys.jpg
Posted By: Christo Re: st marys church eastham - 26th Nov 2011 4:11pm
Cheers, uptoncx.
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: st marys church eastham - 27th Nov 2011 12:37pm
Hi Angela44, You ask if Eastham Hall was also named Hooton Mount. The c1875 map shows them as different places, some distance apart. I don't know about either of those places being used by the RAF but Hooton Grange was officer accomodation during WW2. Hooton Grange is closer to Childer Thornton than to Eastham.

Description: c1875 map
Attached picture c1875 map Eastham Hall & Hooton Mount.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral