Forums
Posted By: MissGuided Laird Street Memories - 12th Feb 2009 9:17pm
Hi Was wondering if anyone had memories of Laird Street they might like to share?

I can remember it before it turned into a one-eyed, take-away alley.

Wondering if anyone remembers the following?

*The old St James Library, when it had tons of books and a very peculiar sweet smell (probably floor polish)
*The Post Office with the penny-sweets
*The shop a bit further on that you had to go up steps to get in (think they sold shoes etc), demolished now
*The small supermarket (think it was either a small Tesco or a Spar) where there is now a closed down sewing shop (has an Irwins tiled advert on the wall still)
*Butchers on corner of Milner Street (Tom Griffiths?)
*The baker next door with the scary little robotic baker man in the window (who's eyebrows were falling off)
*The Golden Sunrise chippy (rumoured to use cat and dog in their meat and potato pies)
*Chandlers at bottom of Methuen Street that sold paraffin (we used to have a paraffin heater which I thought looked like a dalek)
*Ellis's the chemist
*Prices greengrocers
*Gorton's butchers
*Mrs Spriggins wool shop (sounds like something from Postman Pat)
*Shallcross bikes/prams (always smelt of bike oil)
*Sylvia's Flower World (still there?)
*Page hairdressers which moved to the corner
*Chippy where the small carpet shop is opposite ALDI (which had a spectacular fire at some point)
*The Midland Bank
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Laird Street Memories - 12th Feb 2009 10:56pm
LOL Christ memories.. I remember most of the Above..

Prices Fruit And Veg was owned by a Guy called George he comes in the Co-Op all the time.. The Zero Centre know occupys his old store..

The Midland bank has know gone its a wasteland with stupid railings i thought at one point it was going to be a wine bar as thats what they advertised the sale for but i think they just knocked it down.

The HairDresses Pages is in Malleby Street been there since the 1950s happy Where you thinking about Hair By Anne??

Ellis the Chemist was moved to where the Chemist is know in the Mariam Centre but i think he retired as well the chemist is know a Cake Shop "Cameo"..

The Golden Sunrise used to be owned by a lady Called Val happy but the best chippy around here is the one in Brassey Street Georges Liver Dinner "fantastic" laugh

The small irwins supermarket was an irwins?. Tom Griffiths was the name of the butcher but the Co-Op owned the butchers before they closed it then Tom Griffiths had "i think" it i miss that place and you are right Suze Laird street should be know called Take Away City.. There are 8 know "WHY??" lol all trying to compete let alone the one in malleby street to.. To many.. BUT the best which i have to add is Rizos happy lol.. This used to be Simpsons Aerials happy

Gortons butchers closed down and was brought by the News Agents Next to it which was then converted into the One Shop owned by the newsagents, the hair dresses Hair By John was next to it which is know owned by a Curtain makers and other things "not sure on this" CostCutter know own the building..

The hairdresses which is called Bazz used to be a Fantastic bakery and place to get your nudgers Patissere from Anglesy smile Remember that??

The Co-Operative funeral care which is on the corner of plummer street next to the Co-Op used to be a Willam Hill bookmakers i cant remember what it used to be.. Next brumptons opticians is still there today...

The Pawnbrokers which was next to the News Agent and Golden Sunrise used to be the Second Hand shop which is featured on the Video i posted about Tees Street isnt working.. happy

The Fisherman used to have a smaller shop which was next to Kathys Barbers Shop Which then was G.B. Finance then mordiment asian foods but didnt last long..

There used to be a Taylors "clothes makers" next to the Post Office smile

Where aldi and carpet world used to be used to be a Huge Factory cant remember what the made someone told me once but i forgot..

The Cafe which is know next to Lauras Hair World "which was sayers frown i miss it badly grrrrr" was the Chandlers the guy used to have a Amstrad CPC464 for his till and used to repair lawn mowers..

The shop which is know SDT Pawnbrokers used to be Laird Street Services shop which housed the petrol station shop for a few months while the forcourt was being refitted used to be called This And That which sold used furniture..

The place of work for me the Co-Op has always been a Co-op branch 7 to be exact and the hall upstairs which was the Gym for Gladiators was a Nusrery it laid dorment for years untill the Gym leased it. The hall upstairs is called Hollyoak hall it was used for weddings and other functions..

Up the top end of laird street near the church we used to have another chippy cant remember the name over the road from the Old turntable youth club along with the Garage and St Pauls fund raising shop happy i do remember the old St James libarary it was great look at it know "Balamory" tease

Theres a spiritulist church which is great its located in the old Surestart building which have know moved to Brassey Gardens in brassey street this building used to be our Victoria Wine.. Remember the Shop next to it The Newsagents?? The guy who used to own it still lives there and owns half of the laird street propertys he leases them out to people. The Shop which is being created into another Balti House which is actually Nahid one is moving to the old Pet shop which used to be on laird street..

Hope that keeps peeps remembering tease lol smile

Posted By: MissGuided Re: Laird Street Memories - 12th Feb 2009 11:06pm
That's all triggered a few more memories:

The pet shop - used to buy rabbit food in there
The house clearance place on the corner opposite Laird St Baptist (Mal's - my bro had a job with him for a bit after he left school)
The hairdressers on other corner - Alan Paul?
Village Gossip in Mallaby St
The Co-op funeral place was run by a friend of mine and her husband for some time under another name, but they went out of business and co-op bought it I think
I got my first pair of specs from Bromptons - daylight robbery!
Hair By Ann I think moved from Lansdowne Rd before they flattened all the terraced houses along there (eek now I remember Powell St, Kimberley St, Goschen Street!!).
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Laird Street Memories - 12th Feb 2009 11:15pm
D.T. Sheridan suze happy (the funeral place)

There was an hair dresses in the old Corner Shop newsagents run by a couple John and Irene great shop that. The hair dresses was called Jaspers happy

Posted By: Mr_Ice_Man Re: Laird Street Memories - 12th Feb 2009 11:17pm
There was also a shop called Galaghers too, my nan worked there.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Laird Street Memories - 12th Feb 2009 11:18pm
Originally Posted by SoundLad
D.T. Sheridan suze happy (the funeral place)

There was an hair dresses in the old Corner Shop newsagents run by a couple John and Irene great shop that. The hair dresses was called Jaspers happy

Yeah - my mate Nicki is married to Dave (?) Sheridan.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Laird Street Memories - 12th Feb 2009 11:22pm
happy smile
Posted By: kimpri Re: Laird Street Memories - 12th Feb 2009 11:53pm
The factory made tin boxes after school i went to wait for my aunt to finish work at 430 then walk to my nans ilchester sq aunt lived over blood tub.my nan was cook in tapestry for many years
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Laird Street Memories - 13th Feb 2009 9:41am
The factory on Laird Street - wasn't there a Remploy there?
Posted By: Ducko Re: Laird Street Memories - 13th Feb 2009 1:09pm
here r shops i remember on laird st.baxtors. smiths sweet shop.mr bedfords.the wool shop. o conners.brumptons.the sweet shop on the corner were jaspers hair dressers was.mr murphys cobblers over the road from the turnny.the butchers shop on the corner of dundonnald street now the pound shop.dewhurst butchers .jonns hairdressers.lisas chippy.and bowskills cloths shop
Posted By: Ducko Re: Laird Street Memories - 13th Feb 2009 1:33pm
a few moore margie taylors cloths shop.the florist shop.the fishing shop was were cathys hair dressers is now.williams chemist.barbers shop next to bowskills.the rising sun pub.the laundrette were kfc is now
Posted By: Razzi Re: Laird Street Memories - 13th Feb 2009 1:43pm
i think the factory on the corner of mallaby/ laird st was called Metal box.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Laird Street Memories - 13th Feb 2009 4:35pm
was Baxters the chandler who sold paraffin near the wool shop?
Posted By: kimpri Re: Laird Street Memories - 13th Feb 2009 6:55pm
car sales show rooms. only two cars at a time in window And one in the back for repairs? think one glass door pushed across to get them in. name was RALF i think? church end
Posted By: Northender Re: Laird Street Memories - 17th Apr 2009 10:53pm
What about Ted Clough's bicycle shop? It was next door but one to the library, then there was Clayton's Cobblers (Shoe repairers), Cowells Newsagents, Griffiths Bakery and Neary's Greengrocers (corner of Corporation Road). There was also a butchers shop where the furniture upholstery shop is.

The betting shop in Laird Street was originally a bakery. The site where Laird St flats is, used to have pre fabricated houses on it. These were temporary housing built after the second world war.

On the other side of Laird St. there was an empty field between the Rose and shamrock and the Kentucky. The Kentucky was another newsagent and there was Williams's Pawn Shop on the corner of Landowne Road, which closed down in the late '60's and was eventually demolished.

I wish I had pictures from that time as it has changed quite a bit.
Posted By: sadie Re: Laird Street Memories - 18th Apr 2009 2:41pm
anybody remember the victory kidder engineering type of place opposite the bus station, my grandad and two of my uncles worked there in the fifties
Posted By: hoseman Re: Laird Street Memories - 18th Apr 2009 3:16pm
The Victory was demolished years ago, wasnt that a Remploy place at one time??
I used to work for Dewhurst Butchers many years ago as a releif manager. Hated doing holiday cover at Laird st shop!! The manager was Peter johnson if anyone remembers him, used to run Marathons...Very badly!!!
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Laird Street Memories - 18th Apr 2009 6:46pm
Victor Kiddey (remploy)may well of been an engineering place,but when it was under REMPLOY it used to make ticket rolls for the bus`s and later became a Y.T.S training place in Joinery and upholstery.

The tin box was called DK containers.Tinbox was just a nickname for the factory.
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Laird Street Memories - 18th Apr 2009 6:53pm
Amendment to the above.D.K.S. containers was the correct name.Sorreee.
Posted By: BossFan Re: Laird Street Memories - 29th Apr 2009 8:06am
Originally Posted by hoseman
The Victory was demolished years ago, wasnt that a Remploy place at one time??
I used to work for Dewhurst Butchers many years ago as a releif manager. Hated doing holiday cover at Laird st shop!! The manager was Peter johnson if anyone remembers him, used to run Marathons...Very badly!!!

Didn't Peter Johnson have his own butchers shop?
I seem to remember that there was a Johnsons Butcher shop on the corner at the end of therow where the Post Office is.

Opposite that was Curlys sweet shop. I remember getting Walkers Toffees 4 for 1d there
Posted By: skipperuk Re: Laird Street Memories - 29th Apr 2009 9:32pm
Not sure if its the same one, but i remember Gortons butchers between the school and Shallcrosses toy and bike shop....that would be early 60's
Posted By: bri445 Re: Laird Street Memories - 4th May 2009 10:30pm
Here's an advert for VK from 'Birkenhead Guide for 1951'
Bri

Attached picture Scan-090504-0001.jpg
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Laird Street Memories - 4th May 2009 10:31pm
wo - i remember the building with the VK symbol on the end in brick.
Posted By: Griffojack Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jun 2009 11:38am
What about te Rising Sun Pub close to where the bookies is now, kncked down in the 70's
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jun 2009 12:52pm
why did all the pubs on Laird Street get named after astronomical entities?

The Comet
The North Star
The Rising Sun
Posted By: MissCalculated Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jun 2009 6:05pm
I remember Ritsons if it was spelled that way....just by the shop with the dodgy mechanical man with the eyebrows

I remember walking in and it being floor to ceiling goods of all kinds and the smell was amazing. the lady in there was very nice and always used to comment on my lovely white curly hair lol

I remember kippers from Prices on Laird Street and the Chandlers....was it Totteys...cant remember now.

Oh dont get me started....anyone remember Wildings ok its not on Laird Street but on the corner of Falkland st the bottom.

I remember the other chandlers up the steps and going to buy some paraffin for the heater....in the days when you could do such a thing as a child of about 9 or 10 lol

Posted By: MissGuided Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jun 2009 6:16pm
I remember the paraffin heater. Used to look scary at night in the dark seeyu Think it was a Valor.
Posted By: MissCalculated Re: Laird Street Memories - 12th Jul 2009 10:21am
Funny i was talking about the paraffin heater to Phil the other day cos he remembers having one in his house when he was a kid and i guess they were a bit scary when your a kid....especially seeing as they looked like Daleks
Posted By: Si_Klegg Re: Laird Street Memories - 12th Jul 2009 12:58pm
Originally Posted by sadie
anybody remember the victory kidder engineering type of place opposite the bus station, my grandad and two of my uncles worked there in the fifties

Remember it well; we lived in Danescourt Road and used the jigger next to it to get to the shops in Mallaby Street.

Shalcross's was a kid's dream. Us kids used to be pressed up against the window wishing for the toys. One thing sticks in my mind - plastic Beatles wigs for sale around 1964 - bet they'd be worth a few bob now!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Laird Street Memories - 12th Jul 2009 6:34pm
Originally Posted by MissCalculated

and the Chandlers....was it Totteys...cant remember now.

There was a chandlers called Tutty's in Grange Rd. West. I wonder if it was the same firm.
Posted By: bazzer Re: Laird Street Memories - 29th Aug 2009 11:35am
HI only joined last night but remember all the shops that have been sent in .Does any body remember the chipy on landsdown road,the name billingtons. grin
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Laird Street Memories - 30th Aug 2009 7:47am
I remember a newsagents on Landsdown Rd near the bottom the road it was like a corner house you would go into, anyone remember when it closed? Also remember Adamsons butchers,the hairdressers and pet parlour halfway down Landsdown.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Laird Street Memories - 30th Aug 2009 8:41am
I remember Anne's Hairdressers - had my hair cut (against my will) many times in there. Remember Powell Street at the back?
Posted By: finegansrainbow Re: Laird Street Memories - 30th Aug 2009 6:01pm
I remember Laird St very well, I was born in no. 13 and my mother lived there nearly 60 years until she died in 1998. Anyone remember the sweet shop on the corner of Brill St. before it became a tool hire shop. What about the chippy opposite the corner of Brassey St and Brill St where the frier was heated by coke and fish and chips cost a wholme shilling!
Posted By: chiccy Re: Laird Street Memories - 31st Aug 2009 8:17am
Originally Posted by bazzer
HI only joined last night but remember all the shops that have been sent in .Does any body remember the chipy on landsdown road,the name billingtons. grin
hi dad xxx
Posted By: bazzer Re: Laird Street Memories - 31st Aug 2009 10:59am
I REMEMBER A BARBERS SHOP ON BRASSEY STREET (CALLED HARRYS)IF YOU WERE TO SMALL FOR THE CHAIR HE WOULD PUT A PEICE OF WOOD TOSIT ON.
Posted By: bazzer Re: Laird Street Memories - 31st Aug 2009 11:09am
HI MRS HOW R U DADDY cool
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Laird Street Memories - 31st Aug 2009 1:13pm
Originally Posted by finegansrainbow
I remember Laird St very well, I was born in no. 13 and my mother lived there nearly 60 years until she died in 1998. Anyone remember the sweet shop on the corner of Brill St. before it became a tool hire shop. What about the chippy opposite the corner of Brassey St and Brill St where the frier was heated by coke and fish and chips cost a wholme shilling!

I live in brill street.. And dont remember the sweet shop far too young to remember the shop on the top has also been a cafe... There was a butchers at the bottom end of brill street on the corner in brassey street im so desperate to find a photo graph of it.. There was also a news agents on brassey street it was on the corner of bray.. Also as well harry hairs shop used to be in the derelict building opposite the fish and chip shop which is still there and the same guy still runs it george.. The building that occupied the hair dressers had a cafe next door also when the hair dressers closed down it turned into a second hand shop for a while before being closed competely and let derelict for so long they have fixed it up abit know and turning it into flats but its a slow process cause the owner had a warning fix it up or get it demolished buy the council.. This building apparantly used to be a printers and used to be a half way weighbridge the bridge is still visible but has been concreated over abit to park a car.. happy smile
Posted By: bazzer Re: Laird Street Memories - 2nd Sep 2009 11:57am
I REMEMBER THE PRINTERS THERE WAS A CLUB AT THE BOTTOM OF (BRASSEY STREET) CALLED (THE CAVINDISH CENTRE)ME AND THREE OF US USED TO PLAY FOOTBALL AND BABMINGTONIN THERE.
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Laird Street Memories - 2nd Sep 2009 2:20pm
I know the old cavendish building, also the little hut building opposite where I used to box.
Posted By: bazzer Re: Laird Street Memories - 3rd Sep 2009 2:59pm
the building you are talking about was i think for the (cavendish street school)girls for there dinner classers
my nan was a dinner lady in there.also as you said a boxing club.
Posted By: karenjon Re: Laird Street Memories - 3rd Sep 2009 7:35pm
As i went to cavendish girls school i had my dinners in the long tin huts cold in the winter. Have been told years before cavendish school had them they where used for free dinners in the summer hols for familys on low income ?
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Laird Street Memories - 4th Sep 2009 7:03am
Has the hut gone now? Couldn't tell how old it was years ago because it must have had at least 50 coats of paint on those bricks, though a house a few yards up the road on the same side of the hut was the victim of a bombing during the war, from the photo I saw the crater was quite big.
Posted By: karenjon Re: Laird Street Memories - 4th Sep 2009 8:10am
don't know if they still there since found out they not huts for summer holiday dinners ,been told they by seadog pub ? will try to find out. i know it was used for a boxing club coz i know someone who went there .
Posted By: bazzer Re: Laird Street Memories - 4th Sep 2009 9:27am
my three sisters went to the cavendish school in the late (seventies) one hut is still there .
Posted By: finegansrainbow Re: Laird Street Memories - 8th Sep 2009 5:56pm
Does anyone remember Our Lady's hall at the bottom end of Laird street being used as a church because the real church of Our Lady's church had been bombed out.
Posted By: bazzer Re: Laird Street Memories - 8th Sep 2009 6:28pm
I only remember in as a socal club
Posted By: finegansrainbow Re: Laird Street Memories - 12th Sep 2009 4:55pm
Bazzer

I'm talking about the early fifties. After that it was used more like a church hall before it became the social club possible in early sixties. They used to hold bingo nights and jumble sales etc.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Laird Street Memories - 12th Sep 2009 9:40pm
finegansrainbow.. the church used to be called Hamilton Parish or something like that happy
Posted By: finegansrainbow Re: Laird Street Memories - 21st Sep 2009 8:31pm
Lee Mills

Can't help on that but I remember going there whilst Our Lady's Church was being repaired after bomb damage. I believe the roof was blown off and fell back down again the wrong way round. There was also a building( a school?)next door that was very badly damaged. I think my mother and her sisters and brother went to that school.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Sep 2009 9:23am
Remember Our Lady's being reopened with great fanfare. I kick with the other foot so didn't actually go in there. Went in once with my Catholic mates but legged it when it came to the Holy Water bit. Went to a wedding where half the guests were bevvied, one forgot to take the rice out of the bag and fetched the bride one on the ear with half a pound of best rissoto rice, knocked her veil and head gear skew whiff. Lots of sympathy from the watching rabble. Still see her now and again, cracking lass and still got the same hubby, brilliant.
Posted By: tombro Re: Laird Street Memories - 8th Jan 2010 5:53am
And the old turntable used to be a fire station
Posted By: tombro Re: Laird Street Memories - 8th Jan 2010 5:54am
I remember Conny's on the corner of Kimberly and powell St
Posted By: tombro Re: Laird Street Memories - 8th Jan 2010 5:56am
Taggerts, corner of Milner and Lansdowne
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Laird Street Memories - 8th Jan 2010 8:43am
Originally Posted by MerseyMan
I remember a newsagents on Landsdown Rd near the bottom the road it was like a corner house you would go into, anyone remember when it closed? Also remember Adamsons butchers,the hairdressers and pet parlour halfway down Landsdown.

Is that the shop you are talking about? Taggerts??
Posted By: kimpri Laird st 1972 - 22nd Jan 2012 12:37am

Laird st/upper brassey st, 1972 smile

Attached picture laird_st_upper_brassey_st.jpg
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jan 2012 10:46am
It must have still looked like that in late 70s as that is a very familiar view to me.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jan 2012 11:08am
Wonder who the chap in the mac crossing the road is?

Where was he going?

Time stood still.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jan 2012 11:12am
Was that opposite the bus depot?

Looks quiet - busy little junction that now....
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jan 2012 11:23am
Originally Posted by StuyMac
Was that opposite the bus depot?

Looks quiet - busy little junction that now....

Looks like that area.
Look how clean the streets are!
That's because there's no dolies around spewing their dirty nappies and rubbish everywhere like we have today. Everyone worked for a living back then, these days women just churn kid after kid out and live off the dole house.
Makes me sick.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jan 2012 11:32am
There were a lot more jobs around then, Ste. Before the massive de-instrialisation of the 1980s. Massive job losses and rising unemployment do tend to lead less community spirit and all the nicer things of the recent past.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jan 2012 11:36am

yes stu,

Attached picture laird_st.jpg
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jan 2012 11:51am
Those blocks of flats pee me off too!

Look how crap it looks now compared too the 70's, yet they keep knocking the good buildings down to make the new, cheap crappy ones we have today which are damn right ugly and out of place.

Bring back the 70's.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jan 2012 12:38pm
think the factory was called tin box ,and in the 80s it was a yts place but cant remember the name of it
Posted By: kimpri Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jan 2012 12:45pm
D.K.S. containers (tin box)
Posted By: surykata Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jan 2012 2:21pm
In 60s-70s i used to get the number 46 bus home from my nans at that bus stop used to have to wait for the drivers to change over just spoke to my mum in that building, she thinks there were three factorys.victory kidder,the auto ticket works which used to make the bus tickets and lampson & parragon a little further up towards st james church i remember a cycle shop i think was called shallcross.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jan 2012 2:27pm
remember shallcrosses me nan used to take me there on a saturday to gab with mrs shallcross.
Posted By: torryman Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jan 2012 4:08pm
That factory was the Victory Kidder factory,it made printing presses and also made the bus tickets, and guillotine machines
they relocated to Arrowe Brooke rd in Upton in 1971 when they were taken over by the Simon group and became Simon V-K.

They closed their new factory in 1981 and in 1988 it became The Wirral Business Park as it remains to this day.

my father was the maintenance man at both sites.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laird Street Memories - 22nd Jan 2012 5:31pm
Great info torryman - thanks for sharing thumbsup
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Laird Street Memories - 23rd Jan 2012 7:20am
The factory on Malleby Street was called Serve Wirral Training. It was the SWT's base for wood working etc.. smile They used the old building in Central Park in wallasey also. Which i think was knocked down..
Posted By: Helles Re: Laird Street Memories - 23rd Jan 2012 10:30am
Metal Box.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Laird Street Memories - 23rd Jan 2012 10:33am
Originally Posted by SoundLad
The factory on Malleby Street was called Serve Wirral Training. It was the SWT's base for wood working etc.. smile They used the old building in Central Park in wallasey also. Which i think was knocked down..

It was burnt down by Wirral council who employed arsonists and then they had no choice to knock it down.
I would of made them rebuild it brick by brick personally.
Posted By: elizamarie Re: Laird Street Memories - 3rd Jul 2012 11:01pm
there was a vegetable shop called Nearys at the top end near the church. It was called Fleetwoods before that (I lived there in corporation road from 1954 ) there was a sweet shop called Cleavers which was Griffiths before that, there was a motorbike shop (this was before the library as I left the area in 1964 and the library wasnt there then it was just a field. There was a cobblers called Claytons , there was a hairdressers. a wool shop called langtons I think. There was another sweet shop run by Derek Cowell. This was also before the turntable club. The chip shop was called Haydons.
Posted By: Charleanor Re: Laird Street Memories - 3rd Jul 2012 11:35pm
I was born on Laird Street (3) and now live on Brill street with my missus and kids, think I just can't keep myself away from here. I can remember some of the shops mentioned, Dave Sheridan of the funeral shop is my girlfriemds uncle.

If anyone has more photos that aren't already up on here I'd love to see them
Posted By: benkat Re: Laird Street Memories - 4th Jul 2012 12:24pm
took me a while, bit slow don't forget me girlfriends auntie laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral