Forums
Posted By: phalinmegob the names of two shops in prenton - 26th Dec 2008 11:04pm
hello everyone,new to the forum and i love it ,been looking through it all day.i am looking for the names of two shops please
1.borough road.this one is in the first block of shops at the bottom of singleton avenue heading toward rovers,i used to go there in the early 80's and it used to sell headbangers clothes,posters,studded belts and such like.always smelt of "trogg oil",anybody remember that?(think it was petulia oil),it may of been next door to the now gone post office or a few doors up.

2.a small supermarket in the late 70's on woodchurch road prenton which would of been on the site where farmfoods or the tyre place is now,directly opposite where the "now gone" woodchurch road post office was...their logo was large purse and they used to give out green sheild stamps iirc.
thanks
Posted By: AR_One Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 10th Jan 2009 11:17pm
Can't help you with either of those I'm afriad but I do remember picking up our brand new Hillman Avenger (bright orange with a white vynal roof!) with my dad from a garage that was where Kwik Fit and the disused petrol station were and the brakes failing and us ending up on the grass verge opposite.

I was only 6 and heard some amazing new words from my Dad!
Posted By: bigpete Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 4th Aug 2009 12:54pm
The supermarket was a 'Lo-Cost' before it was Farmfoods me thinks... could it have been a 'Mace' or 'VG Stores' in the olden times !?

The garages sold Rootes group - Hillmans and later Chryslers (remember the 180 !) - we had a metallic brown avenger from there - think it was called Cowies - but was where Sainsburys is....
The garage where Kwik Fit was sold BMC/Leyland stuff - or maybe the other way round...!
Posted By: marvelwear Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 23rd Sep 2009 7:50pm
there was a garage where kwik fit was sols subarus in the late 70s or early 80s then an esso then flattened!
Posted By: marvelwear Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 23rd Sep 2009 7:51pm
was a co-op at the end of moss lane now cartridge world.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 23rd Sep 2009 9:03pm
when was that ,i dont remember there being a co-op up there?
Posted By: philmch Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 23rd Sep 2009 9:58pm
I remember the hippy shop but not it's name. Seem to remember that it was a single word and a woman's name (Anna's or something like that). We used to get our patchouli oil from Skeleton Records for 30p per bottle.

The supermarket on Woodchurch Road was called Fine Fare. There was an even smaller Tescos just across the road.
Posted By: bert1 Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 24th Sep 2009 12:26pm
Originally Posted by phalinmegob
when was that ,i dont remember there being a co-op up there?

There was a co-op there up to the early 80s i think then a PVC window/ conservatory place took over the building.
Posted By: davew3 Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 24th Sep 2009 2:36pm
Think your are right on that one Bert remember the Cowie being there,wasn't it empty for quite awhile.
Posted By: bert1 Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 24th Sep 2009 2:41pm
Originally Posted by davew3
Think your are right on that one Bert remember the Cowie being there,wasn't it empty for quite awhile.

Yes it was empty for a long time, when the pvc place took over, they also sold conservatory furniture. Pine chairs and tables, that sort of stuff.
Posted By: philmch Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 25th Sep 2009 8:03pm
To answer the original questions:
1. Wotnots.
2. Fine Fare.
Posted By: dingle Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 25th Sep 2009 11:52pm
The Co-op on Woodchurch Rd on the left hand side just past Singleton Ave, was there in the '60s. I used to work there I was 2nd man on the bacon machine. You wont beleive what we did to the meat after a long weekend. It is really weird I can see the faces of the other employees(I went out with one for a little while) but cannot remember their names.
Posted By: bert1 Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 26th Sep 2009 6:55am
Originally Posted by philmch
1. Wotnots.
2. Fine Fare.

I was wondering where else i would of come across a Fine Fare supermarket and i can only think it would have been in Hoole rd on the Woodchurch, I'm not 100% sure, there was a co-op on one end of the stretch of shops, that's for sure, because i use to give my mums divi number in, at the other end of the shops there was a supermarket, i think was Fine Fare. I looked it up and Fine Fare where taken over by Gateway and in turn they where taken over by Somerfield.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 26th Sep 2009 8:07am
Originally Posted by philmch
1. Wotnots.
2. Fine Fare.

Thanks PhilMch for "Wotnots", brain can rest again!
Posted By: philmch Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 26th Sep 2009 3:35pm
Incidentally, I'm reliably informed that Wotnots was raided in 1982 for selling Fritz The Cat comics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_the_cat

You really would think that the Police / OPS would have had better things to do back in those days. Shortly after this, Wotnots became a women's clothes shop.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 26th Sep 2009 3:55pm
thats the one,wotnots...thanks for that
i got a 6x4 poster of debbie harry in the heyday on black leopard skin blanket....memories
Posted By: chris58 Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 22nd Oct 2009 8:44pm
I can remember the shop i got my first marc bolan poster there my grandad thought it was a woman!!.
I'm rattling my brains to think of the name of it. - it wasn't gearbox was it or was that shop further down borough road.
the supermarket where farmfoods is was fine fare.
Posted By: tom54 Re: the names of two shops in prenton - 25th Jul 2010 12:20pm
I remember the Fine Fare supermarket being opened by the Brook Bond PG Tips chimps.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral