Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Upton Storm Water Tanks - 26th Sep 2008 8:14pm
Has anyone heard of the Upton Storm Water Tanks (and pump house/overflow) and any idea where they are/were located.

Just out of idle curiosity - never heard of these before.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Upton Storm Water Tanks - 27th Sep 2008 9:12am
No, but VERY interested. It's got the smell of a "new" installation to me.
Posted By: Colgo Re: Upton Storm Water Tanks - 27th Sep 2008 9:31am
I Think they are on the same site as the sewage works, loads of work went on there about a year some very deep excavations.
clicky
Posted By: hoseman Re: Upton Storm Water Tanks - 27th Sep 2008 9:58am
Yeah, they were putting in new deeper tanks onsite. They also did a HUGE one in the middle of New Brighton on the prom, at the end by the old Chelsea, 20-30 m deep!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Upton Storm Water Tanks - 27th Sep 2008 11:47am
Saw the one on the prom at New Brighton, yes BIG excavation. Didn't know about the Upton one. Thanks all.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Upton Storm Water Tanks - 27th Sep 2008 1:50pm
Sorry, should have been clearer .... these were in place in 1960

"Upton Storm Water Tanks (S.W. overflow and pumping station)"

which was under the control of (Birkenhead) Borough Engineer and Surveyor and Planning Officer's Department.

I am guessing where the sewage works are now - in fact just looked at a modern map and the sewage area is marked TANKS and OUTFALL. There were two sewage spreader/filter tanks there in the 70s and three now, but I wouldn't have called these STORMWATER TANKS.

Posted By: JonnyCigarettes Re: Upton Storm Water Tanks - 7th Nov 2014 8:27pm
I was told that the storm tanks were beneath the adjacent field, behind Weybourne Close.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Upton Storm Water Tanks - 7th Nov 2014 9:11pm
They built one of those by West Kirby tip a while ago, and are working on one on the Meols stretch now - I think that's what they are, anyway.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Upton Storm Water Tanks - 7th Nov 2014 10:42pm
The sewage works by the River Fender back of upton park drive/meadway always used to fill up to the brim when very heavy storms so they must have held stormwater as well as just sewage. Was one of our playgrounds as kids back in the 70s but cant remember any other structures . There was a large concrete pipe/tunnel that flowed into the fender near the back of the sewage works but it led in the direction of the motorway ford estate--we only ever ventured about 5m into it before bottling it.
New one built in Lower Heswall near sheldrakes this year.
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Upton Storm Water Tanks - 18th Nov 2014 12:33pm
There was a pumping station behind Upton Station at one time - the plinth from the pumping house is still there . Is this connected ?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Upton Storm Water Tanks - 18th Nov 2014 3:05pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
The sewage works by the River Fender back of upton park drive/meadway always used to fill up to the brim when very heavy storms so they must have held stormwater as well as just sewage. Was one of our playgrounds as kids back in the 70s but cant remember any other structures . There was a large concrete pipe/tunnel that flowed into the fender near the back of the sewage works but it led in the direction of the motorway ford estate--we only ever ventured about 5m into it before bottling it.
New one built in Lower Heswall near sheldrakes this year.

Attached picture storm.JPG
© Wirral-Wikiwirral