Forums
Posted By: Ducko Oleo Works - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Does anybody have any info on this building.This building is in central Birkenhead,Dava2479 and myself went to explore this place and we also done a bit of research,we were told it might of possibly been part of Birkenhead brewery.There are no signs or symbols on the building to indicate what is was originaly used as.

Attached picture P1010027.JPG
Attached picture P1010005.JPG
Attached picture P1010004.JPG
Attached picture P1010006.JPG
Attached picture P1010007.JPG
Attached picture P1010002.JPG
Attached picture P1010003.JPG
Attached picture P1010004.JPG
Attached picture P1010001.JPG
Attached picture P1010011.JPG
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Oleo Works - 14th May 2008 5:59pm
Map me!! That looks like possible UE badlands!!

smile
Posted By: Sludge Re: Oleo Works - 14th May 2008 7:44pm
im up for a mooch and a bit of a clamber, i thought the old Birkenhead brewery was Marriots Motorcycles , and over the road to it , which is DJ Vickers car body repairers , site , could be wrong , looks very inviting were about is it in Birkenhead.
seems very familiar , is down Corpy road area.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Oleo Works - 14th May 2008 7:59pm
With the tram warning sign, my guess is it's twixt Canning St. and Shore Rd. - or thereabouts.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Oleo Works - 14th May 2008 8:36pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
With the tram warning sign, my guess is it's twixt Canning St. and Shore Rd. - or thereabouts.

correct.

I've seen it before and thought about it too, but just not had the time to go and explore.

linky to map
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Oleo Works - 15th May 2008 6:49am
the man to ask would be chriskay.personally i dont think it was the old birkenhead brewery but i maybe wrong...is this the building with a cafe in the yard with an old motorbike on the roof???
Posted By: Ducko Re: Oleo Works - 15th May 2008 9:30am
spot on not meney buildings like that left
Posted By: Ducko Re: Oleo Works - 15th May 2008 9:43am
bmw joe got it spot on ive had a look round it verey eerie
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Oleo Works - 15th May 2008 10:15am
If you take a look at pic 1 you will see that there is strange oddities with the building such as,one half of the building is different to the other and also has different windows and levels.This might suggest that either the left or right side has been added to the original building.Like Ducko said,we had a short explore of this place and found nothing to suggest what the building was or used for.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Oleo Works - 16th May 2008 8:54am
I don't know this building, but what a magnificently ornate chimney! Birkenhead Brewery was in Oxton Rd., just uphill from Tetbury St., opposite the white building with the ornate frontage. I spent a lot of time as a child at my grandmother's house in Windsor St. & at times the smell (not unpleasant) was overpowering.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...hx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1
Posted By: Ducko Re: Oleo Works - 16th May 2008 9:54am
dun a bit of research yester day got as far back as 1911 when the builing was the oleo works tryed to fined out what was made there but hit brick wall every time
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Oleo Works - 20th Jan 2009 7:02pm
i thought it was a laundry mate could be wrong?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Oleo Works - 20th Jan 2009 7:12pm
is this place derilict?
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Oleo Works - 20th Jan 2009 8:05pm
dont know mate for sure!!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Oleo Works - 20th Jan 2009 8:37pm
pic

Attached picture SDC10013.JPG
Posted By: w10694 Re: Oleo Works - 20th Jan 2009 8:44pm
oleos were some form of shock absorbers, I think it is a generic for the air / oil / piston arrangement, but I've also known rubber donut oleos used in railway wagon buffers.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Oleo Works - 20th Jan 2009 8:54pm
nice one!
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Oleo Works - 20th Jan 2009 9:58pm
emmmmm look like a interesting place think
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Oleo Works - 20th Jan 2009 10:16pm
yeeeerrr!
Posted By: jimbob Re: Oleo Works - 20th Jan 2009 10:42pm
In 1909 it is simply listed as OLEO WORKS. And even then the outline of the building show it to be an odd shape, the brickes must have had a field day when they where building it. Like some of the houses that are built these days and extensions added on and added on, till the ouline takes up a weird shape. Who knows in a 100 years some one will be saying look at the shape of these house its defo odd.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Oleo Works - 20th Jan 2009 10:52pm
Found some old reference in a Trades Directory...

National Oil & Hide Co. Ltd. (oleo).Vittoria dock, Birkenhead & Wood-sido lairags, Shore road,Birkenhead
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Oleo Works - 20th Jan 2009 11:33pm
Found this on National Archives to do with the name Oleo:

'Oleo-chemical manufacturers. Bromborough Pool, Wirral. A subsidiary of Unilever International. Formerly called Price's Patent Candle Co. Ltd., 1847-1936, and associated during that period with a London-based company which still trades under that name; Price's (Bromborough) Ltd., 1936-67; and Price's Chemicals Ltd., 1967 - 77.
The origins of the company now known as Unichema Chemicals Ltd., date back to the early years of the nineteenth century. The company was founded by William Wilson, the son of a Lanarkshire landowner, who in 1812 moved to London and established himself as a merchant importing Russian goods. His original capital was £100. The importation of tallow for use in the manufacture of candles led to his becoming interested in the commercial possibilities of candlemaking, and in 1830 he built his first factory for this purpose at Vauxhall, London.
Although largely owned by Wilson, and his sons James and George, the venture was called "E. Price and Co." in order to preserve their anonymity (it was at that time possibly considered demeaning for gentlemen to enter into industry). The name was retained when Price's Patent Candle Co. became a joint stock company in 1847.
Price's soon began both to refine the processes involved in candlemaking and to expand its range of products. Methods of distilling tallow to produce pure white, non-odorous stearine were adopted. Coconut oil, palm oil, and later petroleum were developed as substitutes for tallow. Two important by-products of the distilling process were a liquid called oleine, which became a successful "cloth oil" for use in the manufacture of wool, and glycerine. The latter was produced commercially from 1854, both as a basis for medicines and for use in various industries. Soap production was also begun in 1854. During the late 1850's the company applied its distilling processes to petroleum and became the first large-scale producer of petroleum based lubricants in the world. The production of engine oils and paraffin wax were logical developments.
The 1843 the company acquired a second factory at Battersea (known as the "Belmont Works"). This was progressively enlarged, and the original Vauxhall factory was sold in 1864. In the meantime, however, a third factory had been founded at Bromborough Pool in 1854.
The Bromborough Pool site was ideal as the bulk of African palm oil imports arrived at Liverpool, and as the Company's main customers for oleines were the northern textile manufacturers. However, it was some distance from the nearest population centres, and for this reason the Company decided to build a village for its employees alongside the works. The Wilson family had always been interested in the welfare of their workers, and they saw to it that the Bromborough Pool settlement was designed as a garden village with open spaces, recreational facilities, a school, and a hospital. In 1859 there were seventy cottages in the village. By the turn of the century this number had been doubled, though without destroying the original concept. For some time church services and meetings were held in the school, but following the building of a chapel in 1890, and a new school in 1898, the older building was converted into a village hall.
By 1936 the fatty acid processes carried out at Bromborough had become far removed from the more traditional production of candles and lubricants at Belmont, and it was decided to sever the connection between the two branches. The Merseyside works became part of the Unilever group under the name Price's (Bromborough) Ltd., and have since concentrated on the production of fatty acids, fatty alcohols, and other oleo-chemicals, while Pricr's Patent Candle Co. Ltd., Belmont Works, Battersea, have remained an independent concern. In 1967 the title Price's Chemicals Ltd was adopted for the Bromborough company, but this has now been changed to Unichema Chemicals Ltd.'

Doesn't mention Birkenhead or Canning St though.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Oleo Works - 20th Jan 2009 11:38pm
1914 Kelly's Directory entry:

National Oil & Hide Co. Ltd. (oleo).
Vittoria dock, Birkenhead & Wood-
side lairages, Shore road,Birkenhead
Price's Company Limited, Brom-
borough Pool works, Birkenhead ;
26 & 27 Bath street, Liverpool
(Telegrams, " Enginole, Liver-
pool; " Telephone 0311); head
office, Battersea, London SW

So I assume they provided products to the tanning industry.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Oleo Works - 20th Jan 2009 11:40pm
Oleo - maybe this was a by-product of tanning - fat?
Posted By: daveymoff Re: Oleo Works - 11th Feb 2009 4:24pm
It'll be demolished soon enough. You can rely on the council to do that.
"Old building? History involved? Great architecture? Pull it down, no one on Wirral's interested in that sort of thing. Let's build some shi**y shoeboxes there instead."
Posted By: chriskay Re: Oleo Works - 11th Feb 2009 4:32pm
Originally Posted by daveymoff
It'll be demolished soon enough. You can rely on the council to do that.
"Old building? History involved? Great architecture? Pull it down, no one on Wirral's interested in that sort of thing. Let's build some shi**y shoeboxes there instead."

Sadly, you're probably right. (An unexplained fire seems favourite). If the housing market were more buoyant, it would convert into some nice flats.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Oleo Works - 3rd Apr 2009 7:34pm
nice place need some pix camera
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Oleo Works - 3rd Apr 2009 8:07pm
cool place smile

wink
Posted By: Northender Re: Oleo Works - 17th Apr 2009 11:18pm
Oleo is a type of purified cooking oil used for making biscuits. The chances are, this building was an edible oils factory.

Usually animals intestines were brought from Woodside or Tranmere Lairage and processed into fat, then purified by putting it though a press. This would produce Oleo oil and Stearine was the bi product which was used to make grease proof paper. I know this because I worked in a factory that did this.

Oleo oil was also used as a lubricant for the axles on railway wagons. Some wagons had a box at the end of each axle where a block of fat was placed.

Oleo Oil has now been replaced by vegetable oil by most bakery companies.

There was another factory in Cathcart Street called British American Products which also rifined Oleo. This company moved to new premises in Duke Street/ Cleveland Street in 1967 and the building is now used as Happy Als bus garage.
Posted By: oggie Re: Oleo Works - 17th Apr 2009 11:50pm
In the first picture,you can see some white double doors on the first floor.Around 1982/83 I delivered a very large drying table there for screen printing.We had picked it up from a factory in Blackpool took there and craned it up to that floor,I've often wondered if it is still in there as it was not the easiest of things to move,it was a creepy place then and I don't think the printer stayed there very long after,as he had a new business on Argyle st and then other stuff kept him occupied for a couple of years later.

Chris.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Oleo Works - 18th Apr 2009 6:08am
No cup of soup/onion/ omelette combo for me-fankoo, since reading this. Gonna puke. Gross. Bleugh!!!
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Oleo Works - 18th Apr 2009 7:59pm
Originally Posted by Northender
Oleo is a type of purified cooking oil used for making biscuits. The chances are, this building was an edible oils factory.

Usually animals intestines were brought from Woodside or Tranmere Lairage and processed into fat, then purified by putting it though a press. This would produce Oleo oil and Stearine was the bi product which was used to make grease proof paper. I know this because I worked in a factory that did this.

Oleo oil was also used as a lubricant for the axles on railway wagons. Some wagons had a box at the end of each axle where a block of fat was placed.

Oleo Oil has now been replaced by vegetable oil by most bakery companies.

There was another factory in Cathcart Street called British American Products which also rifined Oleo. This company moved to new premises in Duke Street/ Cleveland Street in 1967 and the building is now used as Happy Als bus garage.

This is great info mate happy,and is more logical than my theory.I do remember BAPCO on Duke St.Very well.
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Oleo Works - 18th Apr 2009 8:02pm
Originally Posted by oggie
In the first picture,you can see some white double doors on the first floor.Around 1982/83 I delivered a very large drying table there for screen printing.We had picked it up from a factory in Blackpool took there and craned it up to that floor,I've often wondered if it is still in there as it was not the easiest of things to move,it was a creepy place then and I don't think the printer stayed there very long after,as he had a new business on Argyle st and then other stuff kept him occupied for a couple of years later.

Chris.

When Ducko and I went to explore this place,we found that the floors and rooms where sectioned off into units which had various business`s in.There was a lot of business`s there from the rag trade.Was this table used for printing of material?
Posted By: oggie Re: Oleo Works - 19th Apr 2009 12:17am
Originally Posted by Dava2479
Originally Posted by oggie

Chris.

When Ducko and I went to explore this place,we found that the floors and rooms where sectioned off into units which had various business`s in.There was a lot of business`s there from the rag trade.Was this table used for printing of material?

No it was a drying table,it was metal about 12' long about 4' wide and probably 6-8"deep on 4' legs.It also had like a chainmail type of top on it.It took a dozen of us to move it out from the factory in Blackpool and half that to get it up to the first floor in this place,with a crane of course.

Chris.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Oleo Works - 19th Apr 2009 3:30am
wow nice info mate!
Posted By: hoseman Re: Oleo Works - 19th Apr 2009 10:54am
This place has/is being used as an engineering works also. Go past it about 10 times a day, needs a further "mooch"!!
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Oleo Works - 19th Apr 2009 6:39pm
Originally Posted by hoseman
This place has/is being used as an engineering works also. Go past it about 10 times a day, needs a further "mooch"!!

Ducko and I have been back down there a few months back as a follow up and it was all closed of off and all business signs taken down.I do know that at the foot of this building there is a garage there that used to fi motor bikes but each time we have been that also has been closed.

Due to go the archives soon so will check up on it on my way past.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Oleo Works - 27th Apr 2009 6:39pm
Oleo is something to do with processing natural oils as used in margarine, soap and tallow manufacture. Stork and Levers would have had an interest in this science but they had their own dock at Bromborough for importing palm oil from West Africa. Could it have been a margarine factory?
Just had a second thought. My Dad took me in his meat lorry to Norman Foods factory somewhere around there and I was amazed to see the dismal conditions under which tins of beans were made. They wouldn't get away with it nowadays! Could it have been Norman Foods?

Bri
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Oleo Works - 27th Apr 2009 6:48pm
nice info kid we now have a name to check on thumbsup
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Oleo Works - 27th Apr 2009 7:11pm

The 1968 Telephone Directory lists the address of Norman Foods Ltd (Meat Packers & Canners) as Hastings House, Canning Street, which appears to be the correct building.

Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Oleo Works - 27th Apr 2009 7:30pm
yerr spot on nice work gang!
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Oleo Works - 27th Apr 2009 8:02pm
Originally Posted by bri445
.... Could it have been a margarine factory? ....

The 1894 Kelly's Directory lists:

Birkenhead Oleo Company, Margarine Manufacturers, 77 Canning Street.

Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Oleo Works - 27th Apr 2009 8:08pm
wow that is intresting! anyone know when it was built?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Oleo Works - 27th Apr 2009 8:30pm
Well done Bri & Upton

1857 Robert Higson, a stone mason was there, so I am guessing the factory was built after that.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Oleo Works - 27th Apr 2009 8:36pm
Further to the above, the factory is on the 1889 maps but not on 1875 maps
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Oleo Works - 27th Apr 2009 8:36pm
well done guys nice info! d.d. can you put the map up?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Oleo Works - 27th Apr 2009 8:42pm
Serpently

Description: Birkenhead Oleo Works Canning Street 1889
Attached picture BirkenheadOleo1889.jpg
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Oleo Works - 27th Apr 2009 8:47pm
thanks kid nice one!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Oleo Works - 29th May 2009 8:41pm
This building was known as the "Morpeth Mill" on WW2 plans, on the same block was a Foundry, two Pubs (The London Hotel and possibly The Egerton) and an Air Raid Shelter.

I haven't found out anything about Morpeth Mill as yet, this was found in passing on another project.

The chimney does not look like it was there when this was the Oleo Works as the buildings are completely different shapes, so it highly likely the Oleo Works were demolished and replaced with this Mill.
Posted By: Astra Re: Oleo Works - 9th Jun 2010 7:28am
This building after the Warwas Norman Foods
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Oleo Works - 9th Jun 2010 12:44pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
This building was known as the "Morpeth Mill" on WW2 plans, on the same block was a Foundry, two Pubs (The London Hotel and possibly The Egerton) and an Air Raid Shelter.

I haven't found out anything about Morpeth Mill as yet, this was found in passing on another project.

The chimney does not look like it was there when this was the Oleo Works as the buildings are completely different shapes, so it highly likely the Oleo Works were demolished and replaced with this Mill.

The original Oleo Works haven't been demolished, simply much added to over the years. If you go back to page 1, in the first pic you can see a clear difference beween the original building on the right-hand side and the later extension on the left. Pic 3 shows that the chimney is at the back of the older part of the works, so it would have been part of the original building.

The factory seems to have been built in the late 1880s, but oddly it doesn't appear in Trade Directories until 1893, when it's listed as Birkenhead Margarine Works (A Ogston & Sons). Just before WW1, it belonged to British Margarine Supplies Ltd and is named as Morpeth Refinery. Part of the premises is identified as a palm kernel store, so there's not much doubt that the works were originally built to process oils & fats for the production of margarine, as other posts have suggested.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Oleo Works - 9th Jun 2010 3:30pm
Here are some maps of the oleo works area throughout time, I have more detailed maps for 1950's onwards but ran out of steam.

Description: oleo 1875
Attached picture oleo-1875.jpg

Description: oleo 1882
Attached picture oleo-1882.jpg

Description: oleo 1889
Attached picture oleo-1889.jpg

Description: oleo circa 1900
Attached picture oleo-c1900.jpg

Description: oleo 1912
Attached picture oleo-1912.jpg

Description: oleo 1936
Attached picture oleo-1936.jpg

Description: oleo 1938
Attached picture oleo-1938.jpg

Description: oleo 1955
Attached picture oleo-1955.jpg

Description: oleo 1966
Attached picture oleo-1966.jpg

Description: oleo 2010
Attached picture oleo-2010.jpg
Posted By: bri445 Re: Oleo Works - 9th Jun 2010 5:38pm
My memory of my Norman Foods visit (page 3) would have been in the '50s, so dd's map of 1955 confirms this. Thanks.

Bri
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Oleo Works - 9th Jun 2010 7:42pm
Welcome to the machine Astra.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Oleo Works - 1st Mar 2024 4:14pm
These former oleo works are currently being demolished. I'll post pictures later.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Oleo Works - 1st Mar 2024 11:51pm

Attached picture P2000024.JPG
Attached picture P2000026.JPG
© Wirral-Wikiwirral