Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Horse Racing...Horse Deaths - 8th Apr 2017 9:28pm
No deaths at Aintree National this year (so far) but 51 horses died in racing this year already. Is it time to change the sport drastically?

1520 horse deaths in last 10 years!!

http://horsedeathwatch.com/
Posted By: granny Re: Horse Racing...Horse Deaths - 9th Apr 2017 6:10am

shocked That is a huge number.

Waited to hear them say that all horses were ok after the race yesterday, but those figures you post are not usually heard of. How awful. Are they mostly flat racing courses ?
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Horse Racing...Horse Deaths - 9th Apr 2017 5:05pm
I suspect there are far fewer horse deaths now than when they were used by everyone for transport. They were frequently simply worked to death then.

Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Horse Racing...Horse Deaths - 9th Apr 2017 6:46pm
1520 plus over ten year from every race course around the world
So not that many when you think about it. I know it's sad that any horse died, would like it see how many people have died from jogging or running over the last ten years bet its in the 1,000,000's
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Horse Racing...Horse Deaths - 13th Apr 2017 8:59pm
No edd. I thought that but its uk race courses only.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Horse Racing...Horse Deaths - 13th Apr 2017 11:33pm
I must admit that I am surprised by the UK figures, 22 in March, 13 in February this year (2017) and so it goes on.

Six died at Aintree in April 2016.

I'd class these figures as totally unacceptable.
Posted By: granny Re: Horse Racing...Horse Deaths - 14th Apr 2017 10:05am

Didn't know that DD. Were they all in the big race. IMO there are too many in that race and although they reduced the numbers a few years ago, there are still too many when they are under so much pressure.
If a few jockey's were killed, the whole question of racing would be put before committee and probably be abolished !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Horse Racing...Horse Deaths - 14th Apr 2017 10:33am
The 6 aintree deaths were over two days.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral