Forums
Posted By: Mark Jimmy Hill Dies Aged 87 - 19th Dec 2015 2:21pm
Football Legend Jimmy Hill Dies Aged 87

Footballing legend Jimmy Hill has died at the age of 87 after suffering from Alzheimer's disease, his agent has announced.

The former footballer turned Match Of The Day presenter is to be cremated at a private ceremony.

In a statement, his agent, Jane Morgan, said: "It is with great sadness that Bryony Hill and the children of Jimmy Hill have announced that Jimmy passed away peacefully today aged 87 after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease. Bryony was beside him."

source
Posted By: chriskay Re: Jimmy Hill Dies Aged 87 - 19th Dec 2015 4:05pm
I saw that on BBC News: it annoyed me that they devoted the whole half hour news slot to this item, constantly re-running the same film clips and interviews. There are other important things going on in the world.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Jimmy Hill Dies Aged 87 - 19th Dec 2015 6:20pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
I saw that on BBC News: it annoyed me that they devoted the whole half hour news slot to this item, constantly re-running the same film clips and interviews. There are other important things going on in the world.

What you get being a celeb and a national BBC treasure. Id be happy getting to 87 (with me marbles) and a 2 inch column in the Wirral Globe obituaries.
Always reminded me of Acker Bilk
Posted By: fillbo Re: Jimmy Hill Dies Aged 87 - 19th Dec 2015 6:34pm

Posted By: Excoriator Re: Jimmy Hill Dies Aged 87 - 20th Dec 2015 11:02am
I agree that coverage of this poor chap was completely OTT. I don't wish him any harm, and I sympathise with his family, but when it obscures much more important things from the news it becomes a bit ridiculous.

But football and sport generally is treated as being far more important than it really is. I really don't think sport should form part of the news at all. There is plenty of sports coverage anyway if you are interested. Not all of us are, and are left unmoved by the news that A beat B followed by the score and a detailed account of who scored the goals/tries/rallies/holes etc. etc. etc.

We are at the moment witnessing an enormous migration of desperate people, many of whom die in the attempt. There is less coverage of this than there there is about the Premier League - whatever that is!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Jimmy Hill Dies Aged 87 - 20th Dec 2015 12:03pm
Originally Posted by Excoriator
I agree that coverage of this poor chap was completely OTT. I don't wish him any harm, and I sympathise with his family, but when it obscures much more important things from the news it becomes a bit ridiculous.

But football and sport generally is treated as being far more important than it really is. I really don't think sport should form part of the news at all. There is plenty of sports coverage anyway if you are interested. Not all of us are, and are left unmoved by the news that A beat B followed by the score and a detailed account of who scored the goals/tries/rallies/holes etc. etc. etc.

We are at the moment witnessing an enormous migration of desperate people, many of whom die in the attempt. There is less coverage of this than there there is about the Premier League - whatever that is!

withthat Good post! Good to hear someone else thinks that sport is NOT news. For those that want it, sport should be on a separate channel, be it on the radio or the Uni-directional Sludge Pump in the corner. Condolences to Jimmy Hill's family. R.I.P.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral