Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Murray win at Wimbledon - 30th Jun 2015 5:09pm
Playing in 41 centigrade (106F) against an awkward opponent, well done to him.

No doubt some of the media will pick holes in his game as always. To be at the level he is with the other greats we have at the moment is stupendous. Currently 3rd in the world rankings, a position he first obtained just over 6 years ago.
Posted By: granny Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 30th Jun 2015 10:39pm
Yeh ! the boy done well. smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 4th Jul 2015 7:28pm
And another win against Seppi, had a dark patch in the middle but switched all the lights back on again after.

Great stuff.
Posted By: granny Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 4th Jul 2015 7:54pm
Was wondering at one point. Came back with an inner strength. Excellent, but I have to say Federer is my favourite.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 5th Jul 2015 11:16am
Have to agree with you there Granny - scrummy!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 5th Jul 2015 1:33pm
Interesting, the bookies have Novak as favourite, Murray second and Federer third.

Good odds going for Federer if you think he stands a chance 6/1

I'd certainly never rule out Federer, he's got a determination beyond the others, reminds me of Jimmy Connors later days when his determination was far exceeding his physical capability.

We are privileged to have the group of players we have at the top, good times.
Posted By: Bennie Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 5th Jul 2015 3:56pm
What about Dustin Brown ? he played the most exciting all court tennis than I've seen in years, what a match! The thing with Federer is that he was unbeatable for a long time but not now. Although a great champion on his day he may be just a little too old. I look forward to seeing Dustin again but apparently he 's not consistent, so it will probably be Novak and Andy again.
Posted By: granny Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 5th Jul 2015 6:11pm
Dustin Brown is out. Beaten by Viktor Troicki yesterday.
Posted By: Bennie Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 5th Jul 2015 7:21pm
Originally Posted by granny
Dustin Brown is out. Beaten by Viktor Troicki yesterday.
How did I miss that? gutted.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 6th Jul 2015 5:03pm
Murray win over Karlovic, what a nightmare opponent, good that Murray has had quite a variety of awkward players to play against.

Loads of admiration for Karlovic though.
Posted By: granny Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 6th Jul 2015 10:53pm
Andy and Novac played massive guys today. They looked like dwarfs against them.

All going well, so far.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 7th Jul 2015 12:21am
Just watched the "highlights" now which made it look like a sloppy match but is the opposite what is was.
Posted By: granny Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 10th Jul 2015 2:41pm
Novak through to the finals. Now are you sitting comfortably Moonstar ? Federer v Murray coming up.....
Posted By: chriskay Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 10th Jul 2015 3:26pm

I think the expression is "the boy done good" wink
Posted By: granny Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 10th Jul 2015 3:48pm
Originally Posted by chriskay

I think the expression is "the boy done good" wink

In the UK we often believe that praise in the US can be described as 'he done good'. Whether this is true or not, some football managers mimic this and describe a player who's had a fine game by saying 'the boy's done good'. However, the great majority of UK English speakers would say 'the boy's done well', since there is a fundamental difference between the two expressions. 'Do well' is to excell at a task. 'Do good' is to perform some worthwhile action, such as a charitable act. whistle
Posted By: granny Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 10th Jul 2015 5:27pm
Poor Andy. He played wonderfully good ( grin ) but unfortunately Federer played even better. He IS incredible.

Federer in the final . Can't wait for Sunday .
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 10th Jul 2015 5:30pm
No Granny, I must agree with Chris on this, the majority of English speakers would say " The boy DID well " , the phrase which is American in origin is " The boy DONE good. Still, it's grammatically incorrect and a lazy use of English.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 10th Jul 2015 5:36pm
Watching Murray play Pospisil showed Murray was too reactive and not taking control all the time.

Federer is playing phenomenally well, he needed more pressure against him early on.

Incredible play by Murray but just outclassed by an totally on-form Federer unfortunately.
Posted By: granny Re: Murray win at Wimbledon - 10th Jul 2015 8:13pm
Lud....how about, 'He played wonderfully good' ? You must have missed that one smile

How does one explain ' He done well good' ? (as they say in Suffolk )

Just testing !
© Wirral-Wikiwirral