Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Twin brothers Receive Liverpool Cricket Ban - 31st Jul 2009 11:46am
Twin brothers receive Liverpool cricket ban after identity swap

TWIN cricketers have received bans after they secretly swopped places during a match.
[Linked Image]
New Brighton player Nazim Mohammed, 27, had been selected to play for Liverpool and District Cricket Competition’s (L&DCC) representative side in the President’s Trophy against Nottinghamshire Premier League on July 5.

But while Nazim bowled, when his time came to bat after tea, his twin brother Zahid, who also plays for New Brighton, stepped out in his place. Zahid had not been selected to play.

The scheme first created suspicion because Nazim bats right handed, but his brother is left handed, although a minority of players do switch.

Officials at Wellbeck Colliery failed to notice the switch, but the matter was eventually brought to the attention of New Brighton Cricket Club.

Ironically, ringer Zahid was out for nought.

The pair have both resigned from New Brighton Cricket Club and the resignation of L&DCC team manager Andy Grice was accepted, despite him knowing nothing of the brothers’ scheme.

Chairman of the L&DCC, Ted Williams, said: “I was at the ground and I was absolutely unaware of what was going on.

“I saw the guy out there but I was not familiar with either of them in terms of their playing.

“One thing is certain, they did do the switch and it only came to light when certain things materialised after the game.

“I think the players were aware later on because the bowler batted right and the guy who switched batted left.

“I’ve never known anything like it.

“There are teams where people have suggested it is going on but I’ve definitely never heard of it at this level.”

The management committee of the L&DCC held detailed hearings into the brothers’ switch over two nights at Liverpool Cricket Club on Thursday, July 16 and Monday, July 20.

They banned the pair for life from representing them and they will not be permitted to play for a club in that league again in 2009.

To comply with the “spirit” of cricket, the L&DCC has banned itself from the President’s Trophy Competition for two years, with a third year suspended at the discretion of the League Cricket Conference and the ECB.

THE ECHO
© Wirral-Wikiwirral