Forums
Posted By: granny Best Vets - 12th Jan 2019 2:19pm

Everyone has their own 'special' vet for their animals. Please can folks tell me which they would recommend and why.

Son looking for new vet for his dog. Thanks
Posted By: granny Re: Best Vets - 12th Jan 2019 4:21pm

Is Upton vets any good... does anyone know ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Best Vets - 12th Jan 2019 5:29pm
Originally Posted by granny

Certainly not one of the worst for pet care, as with most vets if you haven't got adequate insurance you have to balance the cost of treatment against likely outcome, they can pile the bill up on speculation.

The last time we used Broadway I didn't like the way they squirrelled the pet off to another room to do some treatment out of view but they didn't take us to the cleaners as much as other vets have tried.

It can depend on the individual vet not just the surgery, Park Vets had the best and the worst I've come across.

I used to prefer the old solo vets that had been going for years, they used to know all the tricks of the trade to get pets better, these days your vet often disappears out the room to consult with colleagues and the internet then comes up with an expensive medication and a recommendation to x-ray etc. The RSPCA vet long ago in Argyle Street, Birkenhead was brilliant, the old guy in Daryl Road, Heswall used to be brilliant but got closed down.
Posted By: dtyson Re: Best Vets - 12th Jan 2019 9:21pm

We used them for our two cats a few years ago. Seemed fine and fees reasonable. Staff were caring and explained the treatments and side effects. One cat lasted 18 years, dying at home. The other lasted almost 21 years and had to be put down - but she had gained a year or two of good life from injections from the vets.

Dave
Posted By: Mr1470 Re: Best Vets - 12th Jan 2019 11:25pm
Posted By: granny Re: Best Vets - 12th Jan 2019 11:43pm
Posted By: granny Re: Best Vets - 12th Jan 2019 11:47pm

Thanks DD. It's a bit of a nightmare when the vets seem to change over the years. I noticed on some of the websites that they do not always divulge their qualifications. I'm not sure if it's required by law, but I would have thought fully qualified vets would do so.

Originally Posted by dtyson

We used them for our two cats a few years ago. Seemed fine and fees reasonable. Staff were caring and explained the treatments and side effects. One cat lasted 18 years, dying at home. The other lasted almost 21 years and had to be put down - but she had gained a year or two of good life from injections from the vets.

Dave

Thanks Dave. They do have some good reviews but it's always nice to have a slightly more personal recommendation.
Posted By: Mr1470 Re: Best Vets - 12th Jan 2019 11:55pm
Posted By: Dilly Re: Best Vets - 13th Jan 2019 10:06am
Posted By: snowhite Re: Best Vets - 13th Jan 2019 11:23am
Broadway vets i would recommend .Take my advice do not use a Park side vets.
Posted By: granny Re: Best Vets - 13th Jan 2019 11:41am
Posted By: granny Re: Best Vets - 13th Jan 2019 11:43am
Originally Posted by snowhite
Broadway vets i would recommend .Take my advice do not use a Park side vets.

Thanks Snowy. I don't think he'll go to Parkside .
Posted By: cools Re: Best Vets - 13th Jan 2019 11:48am
Posted By: Mark Re: Best Vets - 13th Jan 2019 1:49pm
Hi guys,

Quoting the offensive post just adds to the clean up.

Notify the post, ignore the user if you could.

The topic is pretty much wrecked the more you quote and comment.

The said user has now been banned.
Posted By: lincle Re: Best Vets - 14th Jan 2019 12:44pm
Good & bad as with any trade Granny so pick your vet as you would your G.P. Ive had occasions to visit Acorn in West Kirby as an emergency & have received excellent treatment. Not been for years now as no longer have dogs but once visited at 3am & a lovely vet attended.
Posted By: granny Re: Best Vets - 15th Jan 2019 12:09am
Thanks lincle. He's gone to Upton, who gave him a different diagnosis than the one he was attending. Poor dog is suffering. Hopefully some relief for him now.
Posted By: saltytom Re: Best Vets - 15th Jan 2019 6:53am
We have used Parkside vets for years having had 2 dogs, never had a problem both dogs treated well and got the required care.
Posted By: lincle Re: Best Vets - 15th Jan 2019 10:35am
Aah Granny, Hope that he gets well
Posted By: snowhite Re: Best Vets - 16th Jan 2019 1:19pm
Hope he gets well soon.

Keep us updated Granny
Posted By: Lexicon Re: Best Vets - 29th Jan 2019 11:22am
I have always had good treatment from Vets4Pets, Woodchurch Road. Been with them since it opened. Over the years I have lost two dogs through illness and old age, and the treatment they got was excellent and the eventual outcome was very much a last resort.
Posted By: starakita Re: Best Vets - 29th Jan 2019 2:49pm
I'm with vets 4 pets Woodchurch road. Couldn't fault them especially when Misty was diagnosed with diabetes and when her time came they were so compassionate and caring. I had to take our new rescue dog 2 weeks ago, she was being sick. She had a thorough checks and the vet said it was a virus. Unfortunately she passed away very suddenly last Thursday night, to say it was a shock is an understatement as she was only 6,the staff though were very compassionate and we're having her cremated but if and when we get another dog we will be going there.
Posted By: granny Re: Best Vets - 29th Jan 2019 4:24pm

Sorry to hear that news, Star, that's very sudden and sad for you . You hadn't had her very long had you ? They creep into your hearts and leave a huge void. Hope you are feeling a bit better now.
Posted By: starakita Re: Best Vets - 29th Jan 2019 5:10pm
13 months,kids are feeling the loss & she was a bit of a noisy one so the house is quiet.It's shocked a lot of people it was so quick but she had the best 13 months she could of had,we had more planned for her but it's not to be.I will adopt another one when we are ready.
Posted By: granny Re: Best Vets - 29th Jan 2019 5:22pm

I;m sure you gave her the best 13 months she could have had. So sorry.
Posted By: lincle Re: Best Vets - 29th Jan 2019 6:18pm
So sorry to hear the sad news Star.
Posted By: cools Re: Best Vets - 29th Jan 2019 7:12pm
Oh Star so sorry to hear this. This is why I can't have another dog I can't handle it when they get ill and die. Hope you feel better soon.x
Posted By: starakita Re: Best Vets - 29th Jan 2019 8:00pm
This was so different to knowing your dog is sick & having to have to put it to sleep,you can prepare but this was so sudden which is why it's been harder to take.My youngest has taken it hard so we will get another one when the time is right.
Posted By: venice Re: Best Vets - 29th Jan 2019 9:40pm
Sorry to hear that news star , its a horrible time losing a pet whether you're prepared or not .
© Wirral-Wikiwirral