Forums
Posted By: granny Red Kite - 13th Jun 2018 6:35pm

I have just seen what I am almost certain to be a 'red kite' in my garden. It swooped down into the base of a bush, then took off and landed on top of the playhouse for about 15 secs.

The other day there was something brown that took off from my back gate next to the kitchen. I didn't see what it was, just something brown but large enough to be a squirrel. I am now wondering if it was the same bird.

If anyone can throw anymore light onto this, as I know they are in N Wales now, but not heard of any in Wirral.

The colouring was a reddish brown and it had black and white, either down the side of it's body or on it's wings. Larger than a wood pigeon and definitely a bird of prey.

Not a buzzard, seen plenty of them, not the right colour for a hawk, or sparrow hawk .

Any ideas ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Red Kite - 13th Jun 2018 8:25pm
Red Kites have been back on the Wirral since before 2014 but they prefer quiet areas. You are very lucky Granny especially as you have that ghetto blaster going all day smile
Posted By: venice Re: Red Kite - 13th Jun 2018 8:53pm
Not seen that often round Wirral though . One recorded around Burton Mere this morning , only a spit from Heswallish, so maybe that was yours granny , doing a quick tour of those nice quiet woods of Barnston. Lucky you seeing it so close.
Posted By: granny Re: Red Kite - 13th Jun 2018 9:40pm

Found this : http://www.cheshireandwirralbirdatlas.org/species/red-kite.htm

The only ghetto blaster I have DD, is the lawn mower and that hasn't stopped for 2 days. ( Tip....have a glass of wine and it makes it go faster. )

@Venice.. I wonder if it was the same one. When I told this to my son and showed him a picture, he said he had seen one down Landican a little while back , but hadn't know what it was at the time.

I will contact the RSPB tomorrow and let them know, it's probably useful information to them.

I'm thrilled to bits, just so long as it doesn't eat the sparrows.

Posted By: granny Re: Red Kite - 14th Jun 2018 11:21am
Originally Posted by venice
Not seen that often round Wirral though . One recorded around Burton Mere this morning , only a spit from Heswallish, so maybe that was yours granny , doing a quick tour of those nice quiet woods of Barnston. Lucky you seeing it so close.

Just spoken the RSPB Burton Mere, and she reckoned it would be the same bird. She was grateful for the information.
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: Red Kite - 14th Jun 2018 3:40pm
I don't have any information but for those into bird watching I stumbled upon a cruise the ferries are putting on in August. Thought it maybe of some interest to some of you. Hope the link works. https://www.merseyferries.co.uk/cru...ildlife-and-Nature-Discovery-Cruise.aspx
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Red Kite - 14th Jun 2018 3:43pm
I saw a raptor whilst driving M53 yesterday near Clatterbridge but as I was driving there was no time to inspect it.
Posted By: granny Re: Red Kite - 15th Jun 2018 12:59am
Originally Posted by nidgynoo
I don't have any information but for those into bird watching I stumbled upon a cruise the ferries are putting on in August. Thought it maybe of some interest to some of you. Hope the link works. https://www.merseyferries.co.uk/cru...ildlife-and-Nature-Discovery-Cruise.aspx

I have been meaning to do that cruise for a number of years. So far, never got there. Can't make plans so far ahead this year either, and the tickets go very quickly. Still time though.. thanks nidgynoo.

Moonstar, wasn't there a bird spotted on the M53 a few years ago and someone on here was trying to find it ? It had escaped . Don't know what happened.

Shame you didn't have chance to identify it. If you keep going up and down the M53 , you might see it again ! Let us know . (only joking ) laugh
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Red Kite - 15th Jun 2018 8:58am
A pterodactyl perhaps?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Red Kite - 16th Jun 2018 7:43pm
Originally Posted by Moonstar
I saw a raptor whilst driving M53 yesterday near Clatterbridge but as I was driving there was no time to inspect it.

I saw a large one today down towards the Hooton junction circling over the motorway, looked like a harrier maybe, ends of wings appeared to be quite square.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral