Forums
Posted By: Mark elephant dies at Chester Zoo - 15th Sep 2015 9:39pm
elephant dies at Chester Zoo

[Linked Image]

Unfortunately, despite the very best efforts of all the teams involved in her care, Bala very sadly died on Monday night.

The exact cause of her death will be determined by a post-mortem examination but staff at the zoo confirmed that Bala tested positive for an illness called elephant endotheliotropic herpesvirus (EEHV). This affects both wild and captive elephants.

Bala, daughter of Sithami Hi Way, was a much loved member of the herd and was known amongst keepers and visitors for her playful charisma and will be greatly missed by many.

Click Me
Posted By: snowhite Re: elephant dies at Chester Zoo - 15th Sep 2015 9:45pm
Aw this is very sad news.
RIP Bala xx
Posted By: granny Re: elephant dies at Chester Zoo - 15th Sep 2015 9:46pm
That's made me sad. Worse than talking about our own funerals.

Poor little ellie. Didn't they have some deaths of young elephants last year, at Chester Zoo ?

The whole family will be grieving.
Posted By: Suzie Re: elephant dies at Chester Zoo - 15th Sep 2015 10:10pm
Awww so sad.seems these magnificent creatures are not safe even when in captivity..Viruses know no boundaries RIPbaby Bella.
Posted By: venice Re: elephant dies at Chester Zoo - 15th Sep 2015 10:11pm
Yes, very sad.
Posted By: starakita Re: elephant dies at Chester Zoo - 16th Sep 2015 2:04pm
[youtube]kjqMUPr1yiU[/youtube] we went back in June took a video of the elephants having a shower,Think the baby one is the one that died
Posted By: granny Re: elephant dies at Chester Zoo - 17th Sep 2015 8:06am
Ah, that's a nice video Star.

Little Bala was born in Jaunary 2013 according to this article, which I found and relates to the other two elephants which died the same year. I wonder if it's the same illness that Bala has died from.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-23488638
Posted By: kittykat Re: elephant dies at Chester Zoo - 17th Sep 2015 6:10pm
Such a shame this. The zoo don't have much luck with large young.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral