Forums
Posted By: Elyth Puppy training - 12th Mar 2015 7:03pm
Hey just looking for a bit of advice please

I have a puppy and in the house she is great at sitting/laying down/giving me her paw etc but outside it's a whole other story. I thought it was just because she was too distracted but my partner noticed as soon as her harness and lead is on even in the house she won't sit or lay down. So we took the harness off again in the house and instantly she responded to us. So I don't think it has anything to do with being outside, it's just the harness and lead. I don't understand why she is being like this. Has anyone come across this issue at all?

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Puppy training - 12th Mar 2015 7:10pm
My pup took some time getting used to his harness. He would just 'freeze' and refuse to move. Would stand there for ages, just looking at us, sulking.

We left it on following walks, until he got used to it. How old is she?
Posted By: Elyth Re: Puppy training - 12th Mar 2015 7:20pm
She's 8 months old but we've had her for nearly 2 months now. She wasn't really trained when we got her. She does everything else just have to tackle this issue. She gets really excited going out as well, she knows what it means. She just will not listen once the harness is on. It's like she just turns off.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Puppy training - 12th Mar 2015 8:19pm
Maybe you could try having a little five minute training session before she goes out for a walk so the walk becomes part of the reward for her doing what you want her to do? Without the harness initially then progress to having the session with the harness on.

Does she have a treat that she loves more than others? If so then reward her with this high value treat when she does the thing that you want her to do that you find it most difficult for her to do.

Do you take treats out on walks with her? When road walking with one of mine I used to stop at every road crossing and ask him to sit before we crossed and treat when he did, it got to a stage that he would automatically sit when we stopped at a crossing. You could have a little session when out on a walk and again use the high value treats as the reward if she does well.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Puppy training - 13th Mar 2015 4:50pm
dont make a big deal of it, this will just reinforce her worries, id leave it laying round for a day or two, let her approach it, sniff it etc, put it on her, but use a collar too, and use the collar for walking out. leave her in the harness at home
© Wirral-Wikiwirral