Forums
Posted By: europa1 Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 2nd Apr 2014 8:10pm
Was in Storeton Woods yesterday and there was a notice saying a troop of Olive Baboons has been released there! Could not see any.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 2nd Apr 2014 8:11pm
April Fool?
Posted By: Bobario Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 2nd Apr 2014 8:13pm
Keep looking, they are probably just hiding.
Posted By: Marto_martius Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 7:57am
Sound like an April fool thing. But just in case stay clear as it will probably bite your head off:)
Posted By: Kev30x Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 10:23am
This was not an April fool at all! I was riding my bike through the woods around 7:00pm last night and come across these, they seemed friendly enough but i didn't hang around after taking a pic on my phone from a distance, just in case.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 12:39pm
can you tell us any more about the notice?
Should Chester zoo be told if genuine
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 12:43pm
they look harmless, leave them in the wild. smile

may scare the dog poisoners away.
Posted By: europa1 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 4:07pm
There were two notices. One was all about the baboons, habitat etc and another saying about the scheme to release them and they are harmless and electronically tagged to prevent escapes. Going back at the weekend will look again.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 4:42pm
Originally Posted by muzzy2
can you tell us any more about the notice?
Should Chester zoo be told if genuine

Don't forget to inform Barack Obama too.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 5:06pm
Originally Posted by Kev30x
This was not an April fool at all! I was riding my bike through the woods around 7:00pm last night and come across these, they seemed friendly enough but i didn't hang around after taking a pic on my phone from a distance, just in case.

[Linked Image]
Wow great pics Kev.Ihope they are safe in that wood.
Posted By: europa1 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 5:43pm
It said there was an alpha male and two beta males and females and young ones. I think a about a dozen in all. If they breed like the Knowsley safari park ones I expect there will be a lot more.
Posted By: europa1 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 5:47pm
I would say the one on the left is the alpha. He looks big and mean. Weren't you scared being so close? I expect they could easily catch up with a bike on rough ground.
Posted By: stanb Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 6:36pm
Lets hope they scare the dog walkers who go to the trouble to pick their dog mess up with black bags then throw them in the bushes.Cant understand that mentality.
Posted By: europa1 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 6:47pm
Yes good point I can't understand that either. I know some people hang them in trees and then pick them up on the way back but a lot seem to get left in trees. The dog walkers I know are very responsible but there does seem to be more and more 'Christmas Decorations'.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 6:51pm
Just ban dogs from public places
Posted By: j_demo Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 7:05pm
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
Just ban dogs from public places

amen to this

or at least give them a small window when they are allowed in public parks etc, like 2:00am-4:00am should suffice
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 8:01pm
I was thinking of "borrowing" one of these monkeys if I can get it into a suitable vechicle
Posted By: europa1 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 8:51pm
Thought just occurred , who will clean the baboon poo up????
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 9:02pm
I think they can it and sell it

Attached picture aa.jpg
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 9:59pm
So who released them? Would they need permission from the council?
These are large wild animals.
Just surprised that it's the first we've heard about it.
Some people walking in the woods are going to get a surprise coming across these!
They may not want loads of sightseers up there while the baboons get settled.
I hope they do settle OK.
Personally, I'm waiting for the lions!
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 3rd Apr 2014 10:06pm
Wont the lions eat people, they will be worse than dogs.
Posted By: europa1 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 4th Apr 2014 6:40am
LOL! Think I will stick to bitter. Wonder if the Traveller's Rest will be renamed The Baboon's Arms?
Posted By: europa1 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 6th Apr 2014 12:33pm
Went there again yesterday. The notices are still up. I looked up in the trees but it's hard to see as the leaves are coming back. I saw something rustling about it might have been squirrels or baboons but I could not really see. Spoke to a lady dog walker who said she seen some the day before.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 6th Apr 2014 5:47pm
Any pics?
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 6th Apr 2014 6:39pm
Wow, Storeton Woods looks a heck of a lot like Ngong Forest in Kenya, eh Kev? wink

I think Monkey Forest near Stoke on Trent is still the closest place you can 'walk with monkeys'.
Posted By: Kev30x Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 6th Apr 2014 7:15pm
I've no further comment to make! Im too traumatised! wink
Posted By: NoseyBasket Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 7th Apr 2014 5:12pm
haha baboons in storeton, if only!!! people forget a gun was found there a couple of months ago.... April Fools at its best
Posted By: europa1 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 7th Apr 2014 6:25pm
Weren't landmines found there too?
Posted By: j_demo Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 7th Apr 2014 9:06pm
wild vicious animals released into the wild...

there's only one thing i have to say about that through the medium of Karl Pilkington:

[Linked Image]

(edited version posted, not sure if allowed to upload unedited version)
Posted By: europa1 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 7th Apr 2014 9:52pm
Apparently these ones are quite tame.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 7th Apr 2014 10:11pm
just need to keep the thugs from tormenting them
Posted By: europa1 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 8th Apr 2014 12:48pm
Yes often wondered who released them onto the Wirral?
Posted By: keef666 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 8th Apr 2014 4:46pm
Is it a Council holiday today?
Posted By: europa1 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 8th Apr 2014 5:12pm
Originally Posted by keef666
Is it a Council holiday today?

I like the link between baboons and councillors. Tuesdays following Bank Holidays used to be council holidays but they stopped that a few years ago.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 8th Apr 2014 10:41pm
Was it bank holiday yesterday? I could of gone and seen if I could of seen the Baboons, damn
Posted By: europa1 Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 9th Apr 2014 7:23am
Not sure if Storeton Woods opens on a Bank Holiday. I know it closes half day Wednesday.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 11th Apr 2014 10:28pm
I went there this evening, saw lots of moving shadows, but I don't know if it was baboons or people dogging.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 11th Apr 2014 10:44pm
Thats funny Zipper..had to laugh out loud.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 11th Apr 2014 10:49pm
Psst, I think it was Dilly on his travels... saw him with his dipstick
Posted By: snowhite Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 11th Apr 2014 11:39pm
Maybe the Baboons will get removed soon as the word has got about.I hope they are safe in these premises.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 11th Apr 2014 11:56pm
Storeton Woods stalker

Attached picture imagesGEWPQJVS.jpg
Posted By: snowhite Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 12th Apr 2014 12:21am
Originally Posted by kimpri
Storeton Woods stalker
lol die hard 1
Posted By: Dilly Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 12th Apr 2014 9:24am
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
Psst, I think it was Dilly on his travels... saw him with his dipstick

no Zipper you were not with me !
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 12th Apr 2014 6:52pm
I thought I heard Dilly calling out "Oil change, oil change". then I realised it was "All change, All change" to his Dogging mates :-))
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Baboons released in Storeton Woods - 27th Aug 2014 12:02am
Just on the news, some of them have escaped. Keep yourselves, family and pets indoors until they are captured.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral