Forums
Posted By: Nessa neighbour shooting Squirrels - 28th Aug 2013 8:07pm
Hi I am hoping for advice, any advice as for months now I have had to endure my neighbour shooting his airrifle out of his bedroom window at the squirrels. He has done it at all times of the day but most recently 7.30am. I have asked him to stop he says no, he says it is not dangerous but I am worried about my cat and finding an injured squirrel that I then have to deal with. I rang the police to start with an officer came and told me his dad shoots squirrels so yep not very sympathetic. I can't stand the noise it drives me mad. Help me!!!
Posted By: Salmon Re: neighbour shooting Squirrels - 28th Aug 2013 10:26pm
The Animal Welfare Act 2006 rules that it is illegal to cause “unnecessary suffering” to an animal under your care. This includes animals caught in traps, like squirrels.
It is generally accepted that most people will be incapable of killing a squirrel without causing “unnecessary suffering” and will therefore be in breach of the law.

So i think the police ought to have been more sympathetic to your concerns although I have to say squirrels are a real pest in the garden.
Posted By: severoony Re: neighbour shooting Squirrels - 29th Aug 2013 2:11am
Ask him to put a silencer on his rifle if the noise is driving you mad.
Posted By: Dilly Re: neighbour shooting Squirrels - 29th Aug 2013 6:46am
my thinking is that it is illegal to use airguns in any built up area such as residential, I may be wrong but it could be worth checking. good luck.
Posted By: Mark Re: neighbour shooting Squirrels - 29th Aug 2013 7:13am
Originally Posted by Salmon
The Animal Welfare Act 2006 rules that it is illegal to cause “unnecessary suffering” to an animal under your care. This includes animals caught in traps, like squirrels.
It is generally accepted that most people will be incapable of killing a squirrel without causing “unnecessary suffering” and will therefore be in breach of the law.

I remember reading a person was prosecuted for wounding a squirrel or squirrels. That is what you need to watch for and quoting the law above.

I don't think you can stop the air rifle unless you have proof that shots came over your land.

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: neighbour shooting - 29th Aug 2013 7:15am
What harm do the squirrels do?

That prik needs to be shot himself cruel t*t!
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: neighbour shooting - 29th Aug 2013 7:46am
How are squirrels pests? They are lovely little things.
Posted By: Salmon Re: neighbour shooting - 29th Aug 2013 8:14am
They dig up bulbs, lawns,flowers and bury nuts all over the place which if not noticed grow into little, then big oak trees.Having said all that ,yes they are cute little @#@#@@
Posted By: Uffda Re: neighbour shooting - 29th Aug 2013 8:22am
Squirrels can be a real pest and are classed as vermin. My mum had them in her loft and they ate through all the wiring causing her hundreds of pounds of damage. Her local authority recommended she buy traps as it's illegal to release them back into the wild. These American thugs are why our smaller red squirrels are a dying breed as ours can't compete for food. I'm not sure how shooting them causes undue suffering otherwise ALL kinds of hunting and fishing would be illegal. Surely leaving poison bait for rats is worse but no one complains as they don't have a fluffy tail. I would be against my neighbour shooting them more for the risk of a stray pellet hitting someone in the garden behind. Just my opinion.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: neighbour shooting - 29th Aug 2013 8:25am
""It is illegal to shoot an airgun on any land, including common land, river banks, public land, recreation areas or playing fields and land covered by water, i.e. lakes, ponds, canals and rivers where you do not have full permission from the lands owner or its tenant. It is also illegal to fire an airgun closer than 50 feet (15 metres) from the centre of a public highway, bridleway or footpath, if your shooting causes upset or inconvenience to those using the highway.""

http://www.airgunshooting.co.uk/expert-advice/airgun_law_in_the_uk_1_1111764
Posted By: delta6 Re: neighbour shooting - 29th Aug 2013 8:27am
providing the pellet does not leave the perimeter of his land then he is ok to shoot on his own land.
squirrels are classed as vermin.
they are not all cuddly. I was bitten by one in ashton park! I had to go to arrowe park hospital for a tetanus.
Posted By: Maccakevin Re: neighbour shooting - 29th Aug 2013 9:30am
Why does a squirrel swim on his back?

Too keep his nuts dry!!!!!!!
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: neighbour shooting - 29th Aug 2013 11:28am
the easy answer to suit both parties in this is for him to get a silencer...Squirrels are vermin, although fluffy and amusing they can become a total nightmare if they get into attic spaces, a friends house caught fire after squirrels had chewed through wires in his loft
Posted By: venice Re: neighbour shooting - 29th Aug 2013 1:10pm
Its hard for us to visualize the directions and proximities that you're referring to ,or whether the area is an estate or country setting but if the location is built up and you feel a wild shot could possibly injure someone, Id go to my local Councillor and complain from that angle rather than the animal angle. Cant be doing your nerves any good hearing that scary sound at random and worrying where the pellets will land .
From a noise point of view - doubt youll get anywhere - there was a case in the paper of someone having a wind farm so close, that the whoosh whoosh noise of the workings drove them crazy, rendering one of their closest rooms totally unusable , yet nothing could be done.I really feel for you, Id be worried to death in that situation about letting my animals out .
Posted By: delta6 Re: neighbour shooting - 29th Aug 2013 1:45pm
Originally Posted by Maccakevin
Why does a squirrel swim on his back?

Too keep his nuts dry!!!!!!!

whats got hazelnuts in every bite?

squirrel s**t!!

see you tomorrow rat.
got no phone - clair put it in the washing machine this morning!
Posted By: biscansplums Re: neighbour shooting - 29th Aug 2013 3:37pm
Silencer, on an air rifle? Seriously??
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: neighbour shooting - 29th Aug 2013 10:59pm
Originally Posted by biscansplums
Silencer, on an air rifle? Seriously??

Here you go..
http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Silencers-Moderators-Suppressors/Accessory-For-Sale.aspx?id=123955

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Silencers-Moderators-Suppressors-for-sale/Accessory-Search.aspx?id=110&category=Silencers%2F-Moderators%2F-Suppressors
Posted By: Nessa Re: neighbour shooting - 18th Sep 2013 9:00am
I think it is dangerous to let an old man shoot whatever he likes, what next cats, kids. Any animal cruelty should be frowned on as should firing an air rifle in a residential area. Too much can go wrong, especially as he seems obsessed with killing these squirrels. They may be a pest but all he has to do is go into his garden and they will flee so for him it is about killing very dangerous but if the cops attitude is my dad does it then what chance normal people stand!!! It is not normal to hang out of your bedroom window shooting the wildlife!!
Posted By: yewgarth Re: neighbour shooting - 18th Sep 2013 12:11pm
Originally Posted by Uffda
Squirrels can be a real pest and are classed as vermin. My mum had them in her loft and they ate through all the wiring causing her hundreds of pounds of damage. Her local authority recommended she buy traps as it's illegal to release them back into the wild. These American thugs are why our smaller red squirrels are a dying breed as ours can't compete for food. I'm not sure how shooting them causes undue suffering otherwise ALL kinds of hunting and fishing would be illegal. Surely leaving poison bait for rats is worse but no one complains as they don't have a fluffy tail. I would be against my neighbour shooting them more for the risk of a stray pellet hitting someone in the garden behind. Just my opinion.

These American Squirrels, they're not invading our shores and killing our British squirrels because we've got oil are they?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral