Forums
Posted By: Wench Do you have a pond in your garden? - 21st Nov 2012 7:26pm
Just wondering if anyone has a pond in their garden. I found a smooth newt by my front door & he needs re-homing. There are no ponds here so no idea where the little fella has come from.

I am wondering whether to put him in one of the ponds in Arrowe Park as it's within a mile away (which is what all the sites seem to say is the furthest away they can go).

If you live within a mile of Arrowe Park and have a pond, preferably with newts, would you like to re-home him/her?
Posted By: Salmon Re: Do you have a pond in your garden? - 21st Nov 2012 7:59pm
You need to be careful as newts are a protected species.
Posted By: Raven61 Re: Do you have a pond in your garden? - 21st Nov 2012 8:37pm
Originally Posted by Salmon
You need to be careful as newts are a protected species.

It's the Great Crested Newt that is protected in the UK.
Posted By: Wench Re: Do you have a pond in your garden? - 21st Nov 2012 9:10pm
It's a smooth newt, and as such is not one that's protected.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Do you have a pond in your garden? - 21st Nov 2012 10:39pm
http://www.arc-trust.org/animals/smooth_newt.php
Protection
Smooth newts are protected by law in Great Britain. It is illegal to sell or trade them in any way. In Northern Ireland they are fully protected against killing, injuring, capturing, disturbance, possession or trade.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Do you have a pond in your garden? - 22nd Nov 2012 12:22am
What have you done with him, in the meantime?
Posted By: Uffda Re: Do you have a pond in your garden? - 22nd Nov 2012 10:57am
I have a large pond and can give the little feller a comfortable hone. I already have newts so he will have company. I'll PM you.
Vicky
Posted By: Wench Re: Do you have a pond in your garden? - 22nd Nov 2012 12:34pm
Salmon - I'm not selling or trading him. He was at risk of being trodden on, becoming a play thing for a cat or dying due to not being near water or food. I'm in Arrowe Park, not Ireland so last bit does not apply wink

Rude - He's in a big tub with water, a rock & food. I rather like the little fella smile

Uffda - that sounds perfect!! Thank you!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Do you have a pond in your garden? - 22nd Nov 2012 1:46pm
This time of year it is looking for somewhere to hibernate, don't put it in a pond it will either freeze him or he'll just get out again and wander off. They need somewhere sheltered like a hole in the ground, if you have a garden put him in there and he will find somewhere, maybe under your shed or something. Read up on newts on a google site or something. Just something I read a while ago, or something similar.
Posted By: Kev30x Re: Do you have a pond in your garden? - 23rd Nov 2012 3:23pm
Wench any updates on this? did you give the Newty to Uffda? i hope so as that sounds like the perfect home, and at least if he/she is looking for somewhere to hibernate then it can follow Uffda's Newts and hibernate with them. smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral