Forums
Posted By: Bentresht Fox Alert - 1st May 2012 6:45am

My husband & I live in the "Birds & Trees" area of Saughall Massey. A fox ate its way through the mesh on our chicken run & killed all but 1 hen. It also killed a neighbours hens, if you keep brds or small pets outside or know someone who does please be alert, thanx
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Fox Alert - 1st May 2012 7:31am
What you need are a couple of bear traps smile
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Fox Alert - 1st May 2012 8:13am
Bring back Fox hunting
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fox Alert - 1st May 2012 8:50am
I have heard of standard chicken mesh fencing being munched through or dug under by Mr Fox before. Up to a couple of years ago when I kept hens, I used electro-netting. Polypropylene netting with thin wire strands in it. Foxy's moist nose or slobery chops provided the ideal earth ! Never lost a hen to a fox - ever.

Proper netting and a decent mains or battery fencer costs a few bob, but you save the chooks AND get great entertainment in seeing a wildly invigorated fox legging it away from your garden rapido ! From what I've read, Reynard is pretty smart. After one "zap" they don't come back.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Fox Alert - 1st May 2012 9:16am
Foxes sometimes like to take moggies too. A bit more of a challenge to get than a chicken though.
Posted By: venice Re: Fox Alert - 1st May 2012 9:58am
You need weldmesh if you are in a 'foxy' area. Obviously more expensive , but it lasts forever, does the job and gives you peace of mind. Some of the thinner guage chicken wire on sale these days is next to useless.
Posted By: granny Re: Fox Alert - 1st May 2012 10:49am
Originally Posted by Touchstone
Foxes sometimes like to take moggies too. A bit more of a challenge to get than a chicken though.

Do they eat cats? I have found info saying, yes they do, no they don't, depending on where one looks. Never had proof given, so it would be interesting to know if it's a definite.

I do know they attack herons, for Sunday dinner, I assume.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Fox Alert - 1st May 2012 11:04am
Originally Posted by granny

Do they eat cats? I have found info saying, yes they do, no they don't, depending on where one looks. Never had proof given, so it would be interesting to know if it's a definite.

Don't know about that, heres our pet fox down at work, we also have wild cats here and they eat with the fox.

This fox is pretty tame, if your careful he will take food from your hand smile

Attached picture IMG_1706.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1707.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1708.JPG
Posted By: granny Re: Fox Alert - 1st May 2012 11:19am
Ah. He only looks young and well fed! Does he have the breast and do you have the bones?
It is a shame ,I feel sorry for them, as I'm sure they would be much happier in the wild.
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Fox Alert - 1st May 2012 11:43am
Great pic Ste, where is that at I love Foxes, we have a few out the back of ours but they are very timid won't come near.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Fox Alert - 1st May 2012 11:50am
Originally Posted by _Ste_

Don't know about that, heres our pet fox down at work, we also have wild cats here and they eat with the fox.

This fox is pretty tame, if your careful he will take food from your hand smile

Was a simelar one used to be in the waste ground next to lairds. Area was used for storing and working on construction machines. We used to feed him by hand while working there. We would sit and eat then he would come over and sit by us!! Great feller.

Its on the land they are using for the wind turbines now so doubt hes still around
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Fox Alert - 1st May 2012 1:01pm
Ah. He only looks young and well fed! Does he have the breast and do you have the bones?
It is a shame ,I feel sorry for them, as I'm sure they would be much happier in the wild.

He and the cats are fed by everyone at work and the security gaurds, they have shelter, bowls of food and water around the back of the blacksmiths so are very well fed.

The fox has had a skin condition which is being treated by one of the guards at the moment and he's doing pretty well.

Originally Posted by Sallybear
Great pic Ste, where is that at I love Foxes, we have a few out the back of ours but they are very timid won't come near.

Thanks sallybear, it's down at stone mangnese marine on the dock road in wallasey.

There are loads of foxes by ours too, always see them around townfield lane, especially of a night.
Posted By: johnny Re: Fox Alert - 1st May 2012 1:12pm
looks like it has mange ....careful you can pass the parasite to your own cats or dogs
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Fox Alert - 1st May 2012 1:42pm
Cool camera smile
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Fox Alert - 1st May 2012 5:30pm

I don't think cats are foxes food of choice, but they do sometimes take a tasty looking moggy.
About 1990, there was a big, fat cat called Marmalade who was the station cat at Wallasey Village. Most of the local stations had a cat at the time. He was quite a well-known character and people would often drop food off for him. One morning, the guy from the ticket office came to open up and found a cat's paw on the platform with a bit of blood next to it. There was a family of foxes living under the station, and the consensus seemed to be that they'd taken Marmalade for their dinner. Around that time, a number of cats disappeared from the Wallasey Village area, including the one at Grove Road Station too.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral