Forums
HI i was wondering has anyone lost a kestrel or hawk type bird around the prenton area by cartridge world, as this morning {sunday 2/10/11} aprox 10.45 AM as we were looking out of our living room window we saw a kestrel/hawk bird hovering above our flat. I remarked to ann how we never see this type of bird around here but as we were watching it i could clearly see the bird had the small strap/lead type? item coming from its talons. By the time i went to get my binoculas to what type of bird? it was gone, take care mike...ann..x..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: lost kestrel/hawk type bird prenton area? - 2nd Oct 2011 10:41am
Use to hang a round with a lad who's dad had kestrels, great birds I loved helping out looking after them. Always wanted one myself.. smile
Posted By: ex0__ Re: lost kestrel/hawk type bird prenton area? - 2nd Oct 2011 11:14am
Sure it wasn't a sparrowhawk? Pretty common in Preston/Oxton.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: lost kestrel/hawk type bird prenton area? - 2nd Oct 2011 11:15am
it must be captive bird if it had jesses on its legs
yes nice birds, like all birds of prey, when i was working in hooton i loved to watch the buzzards flying above great sight.I.d love one myself as well but i,ll just stick to the budgies/canary and finches we have at the moment cheers mike...ann..x..
Originally Posted by jabber
it must be captive bird if it had jesses on its legs
thanks i was trying to remember the lead type thing you know you watch the film KESS and the wild life programs and i forgot. its a JESSES, thanks again for the memory jog cheers mike..ann..x.
Originally Posted by ex0__
Sure it wasn't a sparrowhawk? Pretty common in Preston/Oxton.
HI, it might of been? but i could see the jesses hanging i just wish i,d got my binoulars quicker cheers..mike.
Posted By: Wench Re: lost kestrel/hawk type bird prenton area? - 2nd Oct 2011 1:41pm
Dave the Warden at Eastham Country Park might be one to get in touch with as I'm sure his brother has birds of prey think If not, he'll know who has as they have them for Family days sometimes.

Hope that helps.
Ive been watching them for weeks , i think they are a mating pair
Posted By: Bradinho Re: lost kestrel/hawk type bird prenton area? - 4th Oct 2011 2:53pm
If its actively hovering and its wild then its 99% a kestrel, however if its got Jesses on then it could be (almost) anything but as mentioned above kestrels are reasonabley common in captivity. ALternatively it could even be a cross breed.

If it is either of the latter and it has paired up (in winter!?!) then it needs to be recaptured as a) its somebody's loved pet and b) it could dilute the gene pool of the wild birds
© Wirral-Wikiwirral