Forums
Posted By: detsi wild birds - 11th Jan 2011 4:17pm
I used to have plenty of wild birds visit our back garden, but this Winter they have been most conspicuous by their absence. We have put out plenty of food but it has hardly been touched. Could the severe cold weather have killed them off ? Any ideas ?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: wild birds - 11th Jan 2011 4:19pm
Bloody magpies. I just hope we get some back for the spring, even the park seems pretty bare to what it used to be like, except for the magpies and squirrels, egg eaters the lot of them.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: wild birds - 11th Jan 2011 4:22pm
I used to be a keen bird feeder but ended up with rats under the decking,I can't figure out how to feed one and not the other.Any ideas?
Posted By: polo_phil Re: wild birds - 11th Jan 2011 4:23pm
They'll be back as soon as it's a bit warmer smile
Posted By: polo_phil Re: wild birds - 11th Jan 2011 4:23pm
Don't put the food on the floor
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: wild birds - 11th Jan 2011 4:25pm
My next door neighbour used to feed the birds with loads of stuff and it was all over his garden. Couldn't figure out if it was a bird feeder station or a moggy feeding station, still puzzled. The cats were well fed that's for sure.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: wild birds - 11th Jan 2011 5:05pm
Originally Posted by detsi
I used to have plenty of wild birds visit our back garden, but this Winter they have been most conspicuous by their absence. We have put out plenty of food but it has hardly been touched. Could the severe cold weather have killed them off ? Any ideas ?

a freind of mine is realy into birds and he says the lack of birds is due to the harsh winter here, basically more species have migrated than usuall
Posted By: detsi Re: wild birds - 11th Jan 2011 6:28pm
Originally Posted by jabber
Originally Posted by detsi

a freind of mine is realy into birds and he says the lack of birds is due to the harsh winter here, basically more species have migrated than usuall

Yeah, makes sense. Should have done the same myself smile
Posted By: oscarpops Re: wild birds - 11th Jan 2011 11:14pm
I put those fat balls in the hedge in my back garden i get mosly sparrows eating them i'll have to go and buy more we put bread on the grass and the bigger birds eat that
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: wild birds - 12th Jan 2011 7:41am
easy enough to make fat balls, its just lard and birdseed.

First put a hole in base of the cup, thread a loop of wool through the hole and trap inside the cup with a twig.
Fill plastic disposable cup with birdseed
Melt the lard and pour over
Let it cool for a while then pop it out of the cup

ok ok i know they are only cheap (no pun intended) but great to get the kids making and hanging them around the garden
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: wild birds - 12th Jan 2011 10:32am
One rider on that is that you shouldn't use lard off the joint, salt is poisonous to birds they don't have the wherewithall to deal with it.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: wild birds - 12th Jan 2011 1:07pm
i had a robin, couple of sparrows, a blackbird and a couple of wood pidgeons that were there feeding all through the snow but seem to have disappeared this week - very strange
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: wild birds - 12th Jan 2011 2:10pm
Originally Posted by summer01
foxes softy ?

Mint or fruit?????

Serious answer - doubt it very much
Posted By: polo_phil Re: wild birds - 12th Jan 2011 2:59pm
foxy woxy - delicious on toast
Posted By: polo_phil Re: wild birds - 12th Jan 2011 3:05pm
Originally Posted by summer01
more like the fox would eat you .

I'd like to see him try...
Posted By: kamikazi Re: wild birds - 13th Jan 2011 8:58pm
During the snow we had five goldfinches and a Redwing feeding in the front garden as well as the usual longtails, blue tits,robins and Blackbirds...Have never seen a Redwing before apparently this is a rare sight in urban areas...keep them feeders topped up and when its very cold access to fresh water.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: wild birds - 13th Jan 2011 10:16pm
been a lot of redwings in the hedgerows of leasowe golf course for the last few winters smile great to see
Posted By: kimpri Re: wild birds - 22nd Jan 2011 1:37am
some of the birds that come to feed in our garden,

Attached picture DSCF0685.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0686.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0691.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0759.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0765.JPG
Posted By: kimpri Re: wild birds - 22nd Jan 2011 1:47am
more,

Attached picture DSCF0809.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0796.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0816.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0869.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0868.JPG
Posted By: sparky Re: wild birds - 22nd Jan 2011 5:04pm
We get lots of birds in the garden, we have a feeding station in the front garden and two in the back also have a pond where the birds have a bath.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: wild birds - 23rd Jan 2011 11:17pm
I have to put the bird food high up in the hedge or that cat of mine would catch the birds and eat them he's had 2 squirrels a few birds and field mice
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: wild birds - 3rd Feb 2011 2:30pm
What type of bird is it, on the pics with the feeder?
we got loads of them? And wood pigeon and robins, too.
Posted By: Tatey Re: wild birds - 3rd Feb 2011 2:44pm
I have been feeding hordes of sparrows & pigeons. Once I was visited by a rosy breasted pushover & a yellow tailed matress thrasher.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: wild birds - 3rd Feb 2011 2:48pm
Originally Posted by Tatey
Once I was visited by a rosy breasted pushover & a yellow tailed matress thrasher.

You wish! Ha
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: wild birds - 3rd Feb 2011 6:47pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
we got loads of them?

Come on Rude - you should know a tit when you see one wink
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: wild birds - 3rd Feb 2011 7:02pm
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
we got loads of them?

Come on Rude - you should know a tit when you see one wink
raftl raftl haha softy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral