Forums
Posted By: Tilly went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 28th Apr 2010 5:44pm
...regarding the petition we started I got some vid footage and pictures on my phone, it's horrible there.
..but good news is, Matt Hurst from wirral news/ Liverpool post/Echo, emailed me and said he would like to support us in the main aim for improvements to the pound yipee so watch this space
grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
there is just too many to post at the moment crazy
I will upload more later.

here's the petition link too incase you havent already signed it thumbsup Thank you

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/507/petition-to-help-improve-birkenhead-council-kennels

Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 29th Apr 2010 8:48pm
THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT EVERYONE thumbsup
Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 30th Apr 2010 11:45am
just done radio interview concerning the pound
Posted By: starakita Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 30th Apr 2010 12:08pm
what radio station will the interview be on.
Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 30th Apr 2010 5:43pm
Originally Posted by summer01
just signed the petition this is upsetting .

thanks Summer
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 30th Apr 2010 6:32pm
What station is the interview- and when?
Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 1st May 2010 10:52pm
it will be in the Echo tuesday or wednesday. for anyone thats interested.
Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 1st May 2010 10:53pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
What station is the interview- and when?

heart 97.1 tuesday
Posted By: Waddi Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 2nd May 2010 6:59pm
The conditions of the pound look fit for purpose to me, A holding unit for a stray, abandoned or lost dog whilst awaiting collection by the owner or rehoming. They are not designed to be a permanent home and IMHO any animal left here for a length of time should be put to sleep and put of its misery.

In reality this is the best that the council can offer with its current finances, how about we get rid of it completely and have no holding unit at all, and any animal brought into the pound is instantly euthanised.

Im an ex-zoo keeper and big animal lover but also a realist, this is not a place for the dogs to live, its a short term holding unit!

So the only thing I could see wrong here, would be how long animals are kept in these units before euthanasia, and this is a management issue rather than a conditions issue.
Fully agree with Lee, its just like a human who splits with the missus and sleeps in his car for a night or two or on a mate couch etc till things are sorted out one way or another, neither conditions would be ideal on a permenant basis, but they suffice for the time being.

If people were that interested, including all these Yanks etc signing the petition who dont pay a penny in UK tax or are on the recieving end of constant cutbacks in council services, then they could donate a few rugs, bedding etc for only a few quid.

Some of the proposals do unfortunately cost a great amount of money (windows are not cheap, well the labour at least) - im sure the people who work at the unit do the best they can with what little resources they are given, and the conditions look and sound more than adequate for the purpose they are required.

In an ideal world the conditions would be lovely and comfy and light and warm, but then in an ideal world we would not have the problem in the first place... as it is we do not live in an ideal world and right now im sure the council have for more worries than installing some windows in a dog pound and have zero extra money to allocate to it - otherwise, contrary to how people like to see councillors, im pretty sure they all have emotions and feelings and are decent natured people and would want to make the pound as good as possible to ensure the dogs happiness and would divert spare cash to it to make it better.

Maybe we could look at getting some local companies and pet stores to donate things, its worth a try at least.
Posted By: Kev30x Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 2nd May 2010 8:36pm
Tilly i signed the petition last week an got my family an friends to sign it, keep up the kind thoughtful work luv an take no notice of these so called animal lovers who are defending the pound! they are talking through their backsides and are complete Liars about being animal lovers, working in zoo's etc they just say those things to make you feel like you cant argue back and shoot them down in flames!! Your a real inspiration to us all and if everyone was like you then the world would be such a nicer place to live in without so many twisted Self centered Bigots in it!! XX
Originally Posted by Kevinx
Tilly i signed the petition last week an got my family an friends to sign it, keep up the kind thoughtful work luv an take no notice of these so called animal lovers who are defending the pound! they are talking through their backsides and are complete Liars about being animal lovers, working in zoo's etc they just say those things to make you feel like you cant argue back and shoot them down in flames!! Your a real inspiration to us all and if everyone was like you then the world would be such a nicer place to live in without so many twisted Self centered Bigots in it!! XX

Here Here!!
Originally Posted by MattLFC

Maybe we could look at getting some local companies and pet stores to donate things, its worth a try at least.

good idea matt! freecycle etc...
Posted By: Waddi Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 2nd May 2010 9:24pm
People shouldn't be branded Liars just because the hold a different opinion.

Matty and Myself have been present on these forums since 2004 and the more established members and those who matter to me know my history and about my personal life, both of which you know nowhere near enough to call me a liar. Maybe when you have more than 2 posts your opinions and views may hold some more value with me (maybe).

I only mentioned my zoo background because its because of it I have an understanding of how things are suppose to work, but its not always run the way its suppose to. Whilst at college, part of my qualification required me to volunteer at North Clwyd Animal Rescue near Holywell, the holding units here were very similar to the dog pound and were deemed acceptable enough by the powers that be.

Excuse me GSD Brigade's latest member, who the hell are you to question anyones personal motives or lifetime experiences, without any background information or having met that person? Waddi is extremely well known for his fondness of animal's within these forums and has been since the day I joined.

If you care so much, put you money where your mouth is and donate instead of taking a backseat, and expecting someone else to do the hard work and foot the bill; ive probably had more animals than you have had hot dinners (Parrot, tropical fish, coldwater fish bearded dragons, dogs, cats, African land snails, the list goes on... Mark, the forum admin, and many other forum members, can confirm all the animals ive had over the years - in fact, today I rescued two goldfish that had been abandoned by a family member (shame on them) - they may only be goldfish to most people, but to me they are every bit as special and precious as my cat for example) so for you to question the fact whether im an animal lover or not, is a pretty pathetic and useless comment and is based on nothing but your own narrow-mindedness.

No doubt you will be from the GSD-spam brigade that Tilly seems to have bought over from "that" site (hmmm, is that an unfounded assumption I have made there, merely co-incindence I feel), so jog on and whilst your on your way, visit www.barryboys.co.uk where you are sure to find plenty of like-minded internet warriors ready to spout shit without knowing any facts whilst your hiding behind your internet connection.

If you can't accept somebody having a different opinion to that of yourself, then you may also want to check out one of the many UK neo-Nazi parties as im sure they share the same conformist views.
maybe kevin and gsdtrainer,if they feel that strong, should pay for windows in the roof of the pound themselves and pay for a contractor to fit them.how would you all feel if, for arguments sake,your bins dont get emptied any more,you ring the council to complain and they tell you "sorry mate we spent all the money on making stray dogs comfortable",this is a bit extreme but the point i am making is that money is tight for everyone,the council included.
matt beat me too it lol.
Originally Posted by phalinmegob
maybe kevin and gsdtrainer,if they feel that strong, should pay for windows in the roof of the pound themselves and pay for a contractor to fit them.

Amen that man!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 3rd May 2010 2:21am
Originally Posted by Waddi
The conditions of the pound look fit for purpose to me, A holding unit for a stray, abandoned or lost dog whilst awaiting collection by the owner or rehoming. They are not designed to be a permanent home and IMHO any animal left here for a length of time should be put to sleep and put of its misery.

In reality this is the best that the council can offer with its current finances, how about we get rid of it completely and have no holding unit at all, and any animal brought into the pound is instantly euthanised.

Im an ex-zoo keeper and big animal lover but also a realist, this is not a place for the dogs to live, its a short term holding unit!

So the only thing I could see wrong here, would be how long animals are kept in these units before euthanasia, and this is a management issue rather than a conditions issue.

Thank christ for that. A sensiible, clear minded post from someone who knows what he is talking about. thumbsup
Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 3rd May 2010 1:57pm

Your entitled to your opinion. as I am to mine. some of the dogs are there for a couple of months or so. e.g.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
so you think just kill them? and rid the council of the bother of caring for them.
These dogs are living breathing animals. that know what fear and pain is but they don't hate they are not predjudice they are not racist they dont care what you look like how much money you have/have not. they ask nothing from you, but give friendship, love loyalty, devotion, they will protect you obey you listen to you and comfort you. they are not there by choice, they are scared and alone, they are there because of the selfish human race that don't care about them anymore and thrown out with the garbage.
so you lot with your negative comments go and sit in your comfy homes by the warm fire, and don't feel any guilt at what us humans are capable of to defensless animals.
I will continue to help them no matter what you say. and if the council wont help I will carry on doing whatever I can to help them by taking treats and blankets and food. however if they do decide to do something, then well done me and everyone else that signed the petition and UP YOURS.

ps. I think Zoo's are the horrible places too. I dont like Animals kept in cages or enclosures for whatever reasons zoologists come up with.but thats My Opinion.

Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 3rd May 2010 2:14pm

thanks Kevin. grin for signing the petition. it's nice to get some positive feedback on here for a change.
but the the ones that have been here 'a long time' will rip yer to bits if you say anything about one of the other 'long time members'.

one of the 'long time members' goes on and on and on and on will insult everyone he doesn't know and accuse them of all sorts of shite he's just plain rude. but I ignore him now as advised by the admin here.
thank you also GSDtrainer grin
Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 3rd May 2010 2:16pm
Originally Posted by phalinmegob
maybe kevin and gsdtrainer,if they feel that strong, should pay for windows in the roof of the pound themselves and pay for a contractor to fit them.how would you all feel if, for arguments sake,your bins dont get emptied any more,you ring the council to complain and they tell you "sorry mate we spent all the money on making stray dogs comfortable",this is a bit extreme but the point i am making is that money is tight for everyone,the council included.

blah blah doh

Posted By: SUExx Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 3rd May 2010 2:44pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC

Excuse me GSD Brigade's latest member, who the hell are you to question anyones personal motives or lifetime experiences, without any background information or having met that person? Waddi is extremely well known for his fondness of animal's within these forums and has been since the day I joined.

If you care so much, put you money where your mouth is and donate instead of taking a backseat, and expecting someone else to do the hard work and foot the bill; ive probably had more animals than you have had hot dinners (Parrot, tropical fish, coldwater fish bearded dragons, dogs, cats, African land snails, the list goes on... Mark, the forum admin, and many other forum members, can confirm all the animals ive had over the years - in fact, today I rescued two goldfish that had been abandoned by a family member (shame on them) - they may only be goldfish to most people, but to me they are every bit as special and precious as my cat for example) so for you to question the fact whether im an animal lover or not, is a pretty pathetic and useless comment and is based on nothing but your own narrow-mindedness.

No doubt you will be from the GSD-spam brigade that Tilly seems to have bought over from "that" site (hmmm, is that an unfounded assumption I have made there, merely co-incindence I feel), so jog on and whilst your on your way, visit www.barryboys.co.uk where you are sure to find plenty of like-minded internet warriors ready to spout shit without knowing any facts whilst your hiding behind your internet connection.

If you can't accept somebody having a different opinion to that of yourself, then you may also want to check out one of the many UK neo-Nazi parties as im sure they share the same conformist views.

could,nt have put it any better myself matt, and i thought it was only me .
Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 3rd May 2010 2:50pm
Originally Posted by SUExx

hahaha here we go. raftl
Posted By: MrPhil Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 3rd May 2010 2:53pm
Originally Posted by Tilly

hahaha here we go. raftl

Watch out tilly... LOL.

You will feel the wrath of mr LFC

crazy
Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 3rd May 2010 2:56pm
Originally Posted by MrPhil

hahaha here we go. raftl

Watch out tilly... LOL.

crazy

shocked
scared not noonoo he's on my ignore list anyway
Posted By: Anonymous Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 3rd May 2010 3:01pm
Originally Posted by MrPhil
[quote=SUExx]

hahaha here we go. raftl

Watch out tilly... LOL.

crazy

shocked
scared not noonoo he's on my ignore list anyway [/quote]

raftl
Posted By: MrPhil Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 3rd May 2010 3:05pm
classic. lol
Would have put an input into this topic but I've already exceeded my monthly quota of ding-dongs with Matt, and I am too scared of Tilly, she's got friends with big teeth wink
Posted By: bert1 Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 3rd May 2010 8:33pm
I think I've heard something like this before, but not exactly sure.

If they have enough points and have a skill that's needed, ie, guide dog, sniffer dog, let them out.

Let them out, though cap the numbers and have a dog border patrol to make sure not to many come out.

Let them all out so we know what their up to and to keep them out of criminals hands.
I'd love for these animals to be given a fantastic living environment but be realistic where would the funds come from? would you have them divert funds from other areas.. i Defend Waddi he did work in zoo's and he does love animals. these are meant to be stopgap living accomadation not forever. sadly they may be there a few months but would you rather they where killed straight away or given a chance for someone else to take them home and look after them
Posted By: Waddi Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 3rd May 2010 9:39pm
so you think just kill them?

If a home can not be found for them within a set period of time, whether that be rehomed to a new family or in any of the many rescues and rehoming centres like the RSPCA or the Dogs trust, then yes. I know its not ideal, but neither is keeping them alive to live a sterile life in what was designed to be a temporary holding unit.

These dogs are living breathing animals. that know what fear and pain is but they don't hate they are not predjudice they are not racist they dont care what you look like how much money you have/have not. they ask nothing from you, but give friendship, love loyalty, devotion, they will protect you obey you listen to you and comfort you.

Hence why they should be put out of their misery if a suitable home can not be found.

UP YOURS

How Rude, I think you just lost any sort of credibility by resorting to abusive language clap

ps. I think Zoo's are the horrible places too. I dont like Animals kept in cages or enclosures for whatever reasons zoologists come up with.but thats My Opinion.

Thats you're opinion and you are entitled to it, Im not here to preach or judge, just to give my opinion.

Posted By: TheDr Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 3rd May 2010 9:39pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
I am too scared of Tilly, she's got friends with big teeth wink

She knows Janet Sreet-Porter ?
Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 4th May 2010 8:32pm

How Rude, I think you just lost any sort of credibility by resorting to abusive language

thinking! think am I really bothered?

thought! snob Nope
Posted By: Razzi Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 7th May 2010 1:30pm
I'm not a long term poster, but i have to agree about the pound "it's fit for purpose" and i have to say i find all this petitioning an insult to the people who actually work there .
They do care a great deal, otherwise they wouldn't do the thankless job they do and leave themselves open to slating by small minded people who don't know any better .The pound is not about putting dogs down,corporation road have many avenues open to breed rescue services and try their utmost to place dogs that have been with them for some time with these rather than euthanize them,sometimes it works sometimes not, but they do the best they can .
Ok, dogs might not have the comforts of home, but they are clean fed and watered, have blankets or baskets and are kept dry and it has to be rememebered that it is a holding facility afterall, not a forever home.Although if you asked a memember of staff they'd tell you that everyone of them has at some time or another taken home a dog. Who care it the facilities aren't top of the range,theyre adequate for the job and they care and thats the top and bottom of it
Myself, like many on here im of the opinion that i would rather give my donations to the small corporation dog pound than the big business of the RSPCA. Maybe if more people gave to them rather than climbing on a soapbox and lambasting them the dogs would have the better quality of accomodation that your'e petitioning for so heavily

Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 7th May 2010 1:41pm
Originally Posted by Razzi
I'm not a long term poster, but i have to agree about the pound "it's fit for purpose" and i have to say i find all this petitioning an insult to the people who actually work there .
They do care a great deal, otherwise they wouldn't do the thankless job they do and leave themselves open to slating by small minded people who don't know any better .The pound is not about putting dogs down,corporation road have many avenues open to breed rescue services and try their utmost to place dogs that have been with them for some time with these rather than euthanize them,sometimes it works sometimes not, but they do the best they can .
Ok, dogs might not have the comforts of home, but they are clean fed and watered, have blankets or baskets and are kept dry and it has to be rememebered that it is a holding facility afterall, not a forever home.Although if you asked a memember of staff they'd tell you that everyone of them has at some time or another taken home a dog. Who care it the facilities aren't top of the range,theyre adequate for the job and they care and thats the top and bottom of it
Myself, like many on here im of the opinion that i would rather give my donations to the small corporation dog pound than the big business of the RSPCA. Maybe if more people gave to them rather than climbing on a soapbox and lambasting them the dogs would have the better quality of accomodation that your'e petitioning for so heavily

first of all Hi Razzi.
secondly where has anyone said the staff dont care? if you read every single petition signature everyone has said they DO care and I was the first to say they do the best they can with the resources they have.
thirdly the staff at the pound are more than happy for this to go ahead they have been wanting better living conditions for the dogs and better working conditions for themselves for a long time.
so getting on my high 'doggie soap box' is just as beneficial to them grin
Posted By: Razzi Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 7th May 2010 1:59pm
Hi Tilly.
Sorry but the statements made by kevin and endorsed by GSD do nothing to help your cause. Calling anyone who defends the living conditions of the pound self centered bigots is laughable.Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even them but ...

There labelling people as liars,and not animal lovers because they have they're own point of view and don't agree with you is damaging your cause and turning people away from what is basically a good thing. Rather than "crying havok and letting leash the dogs of war" i'd muzzle the pair of them as they are confusing the issue at hand
Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 7th May 2010 2:12pm
Originally Posted by Razzi
Hi Tilly. turning people away from what is basically a good thing.

I agree there is no need for name calling.

so you now agree it's a good thing confused

Posted By: Anonymous Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 7th May 2010 2:30pm
If you seem to recall Tilly last year the Wirral Council were planning to close Libraries and Swimming Pools because of the financisl deficient that they are facing. The question is therefore - how are the improvements you speak of going to be paid for?

I have an idea. On the 23rd May there is the Wirral Coastal Walk. You don't have long but why not get off your arse and join us? Raise money for the improvements you want to see. I am doing the walk and raising money for the RSPCA in Wallasey.

Hope to see you on the walk.
Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 7th May 2010 6:18pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
If you seem to recall Tilly last year the Wirral Council were planning to close Libraries and Swimming Pools because of the financisl deficient that they are facing. The question is therefore - how are the improvements you speak of going to be paid for?

I have an idea. On the 23rd May there is the Wirral Coastal Walk. You don't have long but why not get off your arse and join us? Raise money for the improvements you want to see. I am doing the walk and raising money for the RSPCA in Wallasey.

Hope to see you on the walk.

you have no Idea what I do for charity's like Dogs Trust do you? you have no idea what I already do for the dog pound either.
if your walk is going to raise money for the local cross lane rspca, then good on you as long as you make sure it goes to them and not the rspca HQ other wise they wont see a penny of it.Anyway glad to hear you are getting off your arse Ive heard you need to grin

back to the dog pound
there has been paper petitions also distributed with over 2,000 signatures so far. offers of support from builders, building merchants, architects and volunteers.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 7th May 2010 9:54pm

If I had known that the Dog Pound required financial support I would of "walked" for them. Monies raised for the Cross Lane RSPCA is spent on blankets etc. I know that because that's what I buy with the sponsorship!! You can raise money for more then one cause.

.Anyway glad to hear you are getting off your arse Ive heard you need to grin

It's just my Winter fat and it kept me warm!!
Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 7th May 2010 9:59pm
from what I can gather if they are given a money donation it has to go to the council and not the pound same as the adoption fees.
Any money donated directly goes to the lord mayors fund. I wanted to donate when I got my pup and was told not to give money ,but to pop some food , blankets or toys in next time I was passing. So if you walk for the pound, raise your money , ask them what they need then go and buy it and donate that way!!!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 8th May 2010 10:15pm
omg OMG no
Posted By: muchb Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 9th May 2010 10:50am
When you've all stopped arguing... I've got some blankets, towels etc to give away. Can someone tell me where to take them?
Thanks.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 9th May 2010 1:15pm
Originally Posted by muchb
When you've all stopped arguing... I've got some blankets, towels etc to give away. Can someone tell me where to take them?
Thanks.

Pop along to Cross Lane Wallasey RSPCA or to Corporation Road Dog Pound.

...and we don't argue....we have lively debates!!
Posted By: Tilly Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 9th May 2010 1:32pm
Originally Posted by muchb
Thanks.

shocked arguing!!!!!
snob never heard such nonsense seeyu

like paul said and there is also Wirral Animal Welfare
26 June Avenue
Wirral, Merseyside
CH62 7HY
Phone: 0151 334 1888
some one might even pick them up from you
Posted By: muchb Re: went to Birkenhead Dog Pound Today 28.4.2010 - 9th May 2010 9:34pm
Thanks Paul and Tilly - I'll keep those details - we're packing to move at moment so might not get round to it this week, but I'll drop them over soon as poss. I've been told we've got some spare toys, leads etc too.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral