Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Pet Rats !! - 21st Jan 2010 7:51pm
Has anyone any pet rats ?? Have been told they are quite intelligent little critters and despite the bad press, are very clean in their habits.

Just wondering if anyone has any hands-on experience of them.

Been told to get two of similar age and same sex. Advice welcome.

Posted By: DavidB Re: Pet Rats !! - 21st Jan 2010 7:57pm
Yes, they are pretty cool. Unfortunately you have to clean their cage/habitat every two days as they stink to high heaven. I got rid of mine after two weeks of ownership as I could smell them when I walked through the door, just got sick of cleaning them out!
I'd get gerbils or Degu's, they're very clean and intelligent.
Posted By: scoops Re: Pet Rats !! - 21st Jan 2010 8:54pm
Yeah they do tend to smell a bit but they are incredibly smart and curious creatures.
If you do get a pair make sure they are both female as males will tend to start fighting and they can get extremely vicious.
Just make sure that the cage is VERY secure as the clever little buggers will try their damndest to escape wink
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Pet Rats !! - 23rd Jan 2010 2:08pm
Had 2 some years back, great pets and loving too.

Miss them and they also dont live to long.
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Pet Rats !! - 25th Jan 2010 12:51am
I have 3 rats Pinzgauer and I must say they dont bite and mine are all female and truly don't smell much, or sould I say the cage doesn't need changing more than once a week. The rats themselves smell according to where they lay. if you buy a plastic tube or a hammock to sleep in then they dont tend to smell as much as those that sleep in bedding. Females have a lot less smell than males and are more placid.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Pet Rats !! - 25th Jan 2010 1:59am
I've had a few friends with rats as pets, apparently they love to sit on your shoulder and watch television with you.
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Pet Rats !! - 25th Jan 2010 2:05am
They drink ya wine, sniff ya beer and try and find the quickest route from A to B in yer tee shirt, while sniffing your pits along the way. Gotta luv em
Posted By: SUExx Re: Pet Rats !! - 25th Jan 2010 6:21am
My favorite rat was Ben.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Pet Rats !! - 25th Jan 2010 9:39am
I had a few rats when I was a kid.

Very placid, and not as frigile as hamsters / gerbils etc.

Think I used to clean them out once a week......
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Pet Rats !! - 25th Jan 2010 9:44am
Can we get gerbils? grin
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Pet Rats !! - 25th Jan 2010 9:55am
No!

...have you been discussing this with the cat? She only wants to eat them you know... think
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Pet Rats !! - 25th Jan 2010 10:21am
I was thinking we could have habitrail pipes going all over the living room and the cat could watch them shoot round them grin
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Pet Rats !! - 25th Jan 2010 10:29am
Im not sure who would be entertained for the longest - cat? Kids?

.....me? raftl
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Pet Rats !! - 25th Jan 2010 10:36am
I'm kidding - I couldn't go through all the sadness you get when they bite the (saw)dust. Especially if the cat was responsible for their sudden demise... no
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pet Rats !! - 25th Jan 2010 10:37am
Thanks for all the advice folks. Yes bobi1, other folk have mentioned that two females are better from the pong point of view. A little unsure about them sniffing my pits - or anywhere else on their travels !!! A tender, loving nip in the wrong place could bring tears to the eyes ! (There's a gift for someone there!).

Might keep my eyes open for a suitable cage. Average price anyone ?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Pet Rats !! - 25th Jan 2010 10:43am
£30-£40 for a good sized one?

They do need a bit more room than other rodents due to their size smile
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Pet Rats !! - 25th Jan 2010 10:54am
Man Utd supporters are like rats, you're always within 3 mtrs of one. Wouldn't fancy one of them for a pet though.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Pet Rats !! - 25th Jan 2010 10:54am
...you can have pets put down think
Posted By: scoops Re: Pet Rats !! - 25th Jan 2010 11:34am
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

Might keep my eyes open for a suitable cage. Average price anyone ?

I built the cage for mine from a metal shelving unit and wire mesh. They had a 2 story wall mounted mansion wink Onlt problem was after 2 years their pee started to rust the metal as they always used the same spot as a toilet but a plastic tray soon fixed that smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral