Forums
Posted By: Mark Thousands of ancient coins discovered - 2nd Jan 2015 1:01pm
Thousands of ancient coins discovered in Buckinghamshire field

[Linked Image]

Metal detector enthusiasts in Buckinghamshire have uncovered what is thought to be one of biggest hoards of ancient coins ever found in Britain.

Paul Coleman from the Weekend Wanderers Detecting Club discovered more than 5,000 coins buried inside a lead bucket two feet under a field near Aylesbury.

The hoard contains specimens dating back to the 11th Century - the late Anglo Saxon, early Norman period.

The coins will now be examined by the British Museum.

Read More : Click Me
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Thousands of ancient coins discovered - 2nd Jan 2015 2:19pm
Gosh the plastic bag is still in good nick ---are Sainsburys that old. Must be so exciting coming across an ancient hoard like that--I can see the enjoyment of detecting.
Posted By: x_plore Re: Thousands of ancient coins discovered - 2nd Jan 2015 4:24pm
Wow what a fantastic discovery!
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Thousands of ancient coins discovered - 3rd Jan 2015 10:53am
A dream come true - especially if the finder (inc. club, landowner maybe?) receives half of whatever the coins make when sold! Those coins look to be in fantastic condition, too. Whenever I see anything like that I think, whose was the last hand to touch them? And in what circumstances? We'll never know..
Posted By: snowhite Re: Thousands of ancient coins discovered - 3rd Jan 2015 12:50pm
This is a an amazing story.what a great start to the new year.
Posted By: cools Re: Thousands of ancient coins discovered - 3rd Jan 2015 1:49pm
There you go Snowy, get that metal detector and let's all hunt for treasure.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Thousands of ancient coins discovered - 3rd Jan 2015 5:11pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
Gosh the plastic bag is still in good nick ---are Sainsburys that old.

Something funny about that, fish; I thought those bags were biodegradable. I think the whole thing is a spoof. wink
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Thousands of ancient coins discovered - 3rd Jan 2015 6:00pm
and they never had zip seal bags them days.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral